Asus PA238Q - 23" IPS

I'm not surprised about the reports of backlight bleeding. Though some people earlier in the thread would like you to believe that e-IPS is the same as H-IPS, just as capable blah blah, the fact is that the quality control is way less, evidenced by these reports which is why it's called e-IPS and not H-IPS! They don't call it a different name for nothing.

You keep spouting this same tenet powruser.

Most of the time back light bleeding is attributed to poor construction, and/or construction tension and has absolutely nothing to do with eIPS versus H/P/SIPS. The attraction to this monitor is that it has no wide gamut mode but is factory calibrated.

Overdrive is adjustable, so without knowing what the overdrive is set at whether 0 to 100, we can't tell from that video. That's a great feature that no other 23" has unless you can get in the service menu of a U2311H or U2312HM to shut it off and on.

Last edited:
The camera was shooting at 25 fps. It's pretty hard to say anything judging by that video. Camera adds blur.

trace free is 60 to default but if u increase it there's overdrive trailing, it's not all prefect.

guy, i am seriously thinking of buying this monitor. anyone got any hands on experience with this monitor...
should this be a better purchase than a Dell U2312HM which is £40 cheaper..?

trace free is 60 to default but if u increase it there's overdrive trailing, it's not all prefect.

Sure but you can lower it to 40, 30, etc.... if the over shoot is too high for your liking. A great feature IMHO.

This monitor looks like my favorite 23" right now. sRGB with factory calibration, W-LED and the most usable interfaces, plus the ability to change settings in the OSD. It looks like a winner, and I'd probably recommend it over the Dell 23" unit(s).

Sure but you can lower it to 40, 30, etc.... if the over shoot is too high for your liking. A great feature IMHO.

This monitor looks like my favorite 23" right now. sRGB with factory calibration, W-LED and the most usable interfaces, plus the ability to change settings in the OSD. It looks like a winner, and I'd probably recommend it over the Dell 23" unit(s).

for me the non existence of HDMI in dell is a big let down...one of the reason why i am leaning towards buying this monitor... btw how is this monitor compared to LG 23'' offering (LG IPS236V) which has practically same specs but is like £100 cheaper ?

for me the non existence of HDMI in dell is a big let down...one of the reason why i am leaning towards buying this monitor... btw how is this monitor compared to LG 23'' offering (LG IPS236V) which has practically same specs but is like £100 cheaper ?

I think this monitor's quality will be heads and shoulders better than the LG. It has many more useful features and customizations. The LG is a basic screen with very little to offer. I'd take this 100% hands down over the LG.

The only issue is a credible review is non-existent at this time.

I think this monitor's quality will be heads and shoulders better than the LG. It has many more useful features and customizations. The LG is a basic screen with very little to offer. I'd take this 100% hands down over the LG.

The only issue is a credible review is non-existent at this time.

and what about the ridiculous warranty terms of asus where a screen has to have a certain amount of bright or dark pixels before it can be sent for RMA ?

i must choose between more trailing or more ghosting ? :rolleyes:
i saw the PA246Q response test and seems much faster than this 23 model.

I want to get this instead of U2311H but the backlight issue and low static contrast ratio (compared to U2311H) worries me. Does Amazon offer free shipping on exchanges?

and what about the ridiculous warranty terms of asus where a screen has to have a certain amount of bright or dark pixels before it can be sent for RMA ?

The ProArt series is different I believe. The PA246Q has a one bright dot warranty or something like that.

I found this by just googling PA238Q warranty:

http://commercial.asus.com/product/detail/140

i must choose between more trailing or more ghosting ? :rolleyes:
i saw the PA246Q response test and seems much faster than this 23 model.

Do you have a link for this? Thanks.

Either way, the Proart series of screens isn't for gamers specifically. They don't need 10-bit color lookup tables and quick grid screens.

Alternatively you can always go for a PA246Q or 120hz TN screen.

First time posting here I had to join just to say how much I HATE backlight bleeding and unfortunately thats because I just received my second PA238Q and still not happy. I ordered it from Overstock.com (Who's customer service is top notch) so I'm not sure if it's them or Asus ether way it's horrible and not at all what I expected from a "pro art" monitor. I'll try and get some pics up soon. Anyways back to the drawing board. I swear this is worse than car shopping, just when I thought I had the perfect all around monitor BAM light bleeding that makes your brand new monitor look like a cheap P.O.C... Sorry but I guess I'm still mad LoL

NCX: thanks for posting my review (ufoncz = Mirek Jahoda, ExtraHardware.cz).

My sample (directly from Asus) hasn't bleeding issues. Hopefully not hand picked :confused: And uniformity was excellent: http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/asus-pa238q-hobby-grafik-nad-kvalitou-zajasa?page=0,2 (first picture under two graphs)

PA238Q is very similar to NEC EA232WMi, but offers OverDrive, factory color calibration and really awful color profile on the packed CD (just use Windows sRGB and you will be fine without colorimeter) ;-). EA232WMi can handle lower brightness settings and if you like automatic brightness thanks to sensor… And of course, there is much cheaper LG IPS231P without additional features and longer response time (than Asus).

This screen interests me. It must have good viewing angle, it may be ideal for a config Eyefinity.
Are you able to review the viewing angle and also could you measure the width of the bezel?

I'm in the same boat as Barracuda559. I bought this for my work based on it's "Pro Art" credentials.

Based on an evening's use, the 6Bit + FRC panel turned in good colours without any obvious banding but the black levels, colour uniformity and backlight bleed were not good at all.

Here's a pic (tripod/100ISO/1sec exposure) of the screen displaying black in a near dark room. The brightness and contrast are set to 50%......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68851411@N02/6261667620/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I was quite happy to get back to my old Viewsonic 2025 (PVA. 6 years old, much better built and no backlight bleed whatsoever) even if it only accepts a VGA input these days (DVI's fried).

How was the Anti-Glare coating on the Asus, desmondpot?

I'm thinking about getting one of these (280$) from a place with a great exchange policy

I'm not experienced with ISP panels, but I struggled with the reflectivity in general even though it had a matt finish.

The coating didn't seem overly grainy, though.

If one was to buy a couple of these, and want to have a hassle free return experience if one or both monitors have bleed issues, what would be the best etailer to deal with? Would the buyer be responsible for return shipping with this etailer if there was a backlight bleed issue?

Also, what is the warranty price with Asus on these PA series monitor? Advanced exchange, or mail in then replacement? Do they coer shipping on the return?

I use nc_ix for all my monitor purchases (if not avaliable at best buy/future shop) because they are local, will price match any online retailer and for around 10$ you can get a 1 month warranty which allows you to exchange your monitor if it has 1 dead pixel or bleeding. I will probably be getting one of these and will get nc1x to price match new egg

Best Buy would be preferable but they don't carry most IPS panels, staples in canada carries this model but it is quite expensive and they add a fee for price matching online retailers.

Amazon.co.uk are good. They issue an RMA pretty much immediately and pick up the next day.

Last edited:
......come to think of it, is the description on this page right?

http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/zardon/asus-pa238q-led-monitor-review/5/

.....in particular: "IPS panels have been long capable of rendering true 8 bit colour depth which many people will refer to as ’24 bit colour’, this is an 8 bit design on a sub pixel level across the blue, green and red planes. "

So if this is a true 8bit panel, which one is it?

P-IPS is just a marketing term according to the TFT Central article posted.

I ordered one for 276$+tax from Staples Canada after price matching NewEgg.ca due to Staples no hassle return policy.

I ordered one for 276$+tax from Staples Canada after price matching NewEgg.ca due to Staples no hassle return policy.

Let us know what you think. I have high hopes for this screen.

lol, extreme bleeding on the middle-top right side of the screen. There is no head on IPS glow, however the bleeding is so bad it appears to be glowing. Other than the right side the screen uniformity is very good.

Last edited:
I can confirm 72-76hz with ToastyX's settings, but it skips frames and has flickering horizontal lines so you have to use 60hz. No typical IPS pink/green tinting

GOW3comparison038.jpg

The actual brightness distribution is very good on paper.

AsusPA238Quniformity-1.png

AG coating is aggressive:(, despite the PRAD.de reviewers claims:rolleyes:. Not only does the coating make light colors+whites look grainy, but dark scenes look unnatural and to dark.

GOW3comparison006.jpg

Last edited:
No thanks to the aggressive AG coating which the PRAD.de reviewer said it did not have:mad:, the horrible screen uniformity and low contrast (700:1=greyish/purple blacks combined with terrible uniformity)

I measured all of the presets and have PixerPixAn response time pictures, will be doing a mini-write up this week. The PA238Q's PRAD and Extra Harware CZ reviewed had nearly perfect default color accuracy, good contrast and uniformity so I am really disappointed. I should have expected the terrible QC since it uses an LG panel.

Also ordered a PA238Q, hope it won't be a dud. Getting sick of testing and failing TFTs.

Canada Computers has it on sale for $259.99 until Nov 3rd, priced match with staples.ca brought it down to $254.33+taxes.

Wow that is a good deal, hopefully yours is decent!

NCX@

do u have apportunity to measure input lag? i want a monitor to play games on ps3.

Back