Asus P8P67 Hangs after being idle for some time

sounds like you timings are too tight on your ram.

what are they rated at 1333?

what are they rated at 1333?

Yes:

Specification

Designed For 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors

Main Board: intel
System: Desktop
System Type: DDR3
M/B Chipset: Intel P67

CAS Latency: 7-7-7-21-2N
Capacity: 4GB (2GB x2)

Speed: DDR3-1333 (PC3 10666)
Test Voltage: 1.5 Volts
PCB
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Type: 240-pin DIMM
Warranty: Lifetime

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=342

Just out of curiosity, is anyone still having this problem? I just replaced my P8P67 Deluxe with the new B3 rev and I still have the problem although it seems to occur less often.

try lowering your timings on your mem. That seems to help allot of people.

try lowering your timings on your mem. That seems to help allot of people.
I would like to try this but I don't know how. Do I change it in the BIOS? Which setting is it and what should I change it to? Thanks.

My memory is Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) 1600MHz VENGEANCE 1.5V 9-9-9-24

in your case, id up the voltage a smidge in the bios.

Your timings are already pretty loose.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone still having this problem? I just replaced my P8P67 Deluxe with the new B3 rev and I still have the problem although it seems to occur less often.

I sure am. Turning off C3+C6 reporting stops the hangs for me, at the expense of TurboBoost only going up 1 speedgrade instead of 1-4 depending on cores in use.

I will be selling the P8P67 Pro once I can be bothered swapping it for a B3 replacement and buy something else to replace it with.

Do you mean the freeze/complete shutdown? If so, the problem is vdroop, basically at higher overclocks vcore drops too low @ 1600MHz and system simply crashes.

Didn't read through the thread, but I too am having this problem with the P8P67-M Pro. Tonight I was forced to reformat as I was getting stuck on the Welcome Login screen. It wouldn't go past that, and before that Windows constantly freezing (every hour or so) while I was working on it - for about 2-3 minutes.

Could it maybe be the chipset temperature? My southbridge temps are extremely hot (90C+, burn to the touch) during normal use (see my thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1596581). The last time it froze, I started blowing on the heatsink and it unfroze a short while after, but I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence.

I am also running the B3 stepping boards. The last time I had this much problems with a build was with my Athlon 3800+ about 5 years ago.

Also I should note, I am running my 2600k/motherboard at stock bios settings with the stock cooler. CPU temps are fine too.

I have never overclocked my system so it isnt related to that. Also seems unlikely it is related to temperature considering its eprfectly stable under load and works fine when C3+C6 reporting are disabled, both of which I would expect increase temperature over the alternative.

All in all, a fairly annoying issue which will certainly be the reason for me ditching the Asus board once i get round to RMAing it for a B3 equipped replacement...which given that in in the UK will apparently involve a 7-10 day wait for Asus to get a new board out after I return the original one, because it seems only US Asus customers deserve advance shipping to replace defective products.... :rolleyes:

ATM, I have C3/C6 disabled and that eliminates the "freeze when idle" problem for me but I'd like to think that's only a temporary solution since it does have an impact on TurboBoost. I was reading the thread that TGStyle referenced over at Asus and found something there that sounds familiar! Here's the post I'm talking about:

----------
Looks like the Corsair Vengeance is unstable at stock SPD. If I run the 1600Mhz mem in 1333mhz speed, which is the default value when installing the kit without doing any UEFI/BIOS tweak, the system hangs/freeeze after a while.

With the mem tweaked to vendor SPD recommendation, 1600mhz @ 8,8,8,24 - the system is stable.

So the conlcusion so far is that Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 is stable with recomended SPD, but not with default SPD, if i can call it that.
----------

I'm using Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) on my board and it's also running at default SPD settings (1333Mhz @ 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v). I'm going to adjust the timings when I get home tonight to the Corsair "tested" values (1600Mhz @ 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v) and then re-enable C3/C6 and see if I still get the freeze when the system is idle. Does anyone else having this problem have a similar configuration (i.e., RAM that's running at the slower default SPD instead of the faster "tested" speeds/timings)?

Im using the Vengence C9 8gig kit with no problems. Im using the Optimal settings in EzSetup which i believe activates the XMP profiles. Running at 1600, 9-9-9-24-2 with no lockups.

Im using the Vengence C9 8gig kit with no problems. Im using the Optimal settings in EzSetup which i believe activates the XMP profiles. Running at 1600, 9-9-9-24-2 with no lockups.

Hmmm....I'm pretty sure my RAM is set to Auto. I wonder if that's causing the issue?

well, XMP profile activated is auto of a sort...i havent manually set the timings or anything...

Hi. This is my computer:

Motherboard: ASUS Deluxe P8P67 (BIOS 1204)
Memory: [Ripjaws-X] DDR3-1333 F3-10666CL7D-4GBXH (2 sticks, 8GB)
CPU: Intel i7 2600 (Without K)
Graphic card: ASUS GTX570 1280MB GDDR5
HD1: OCZ Vertex 2E SSD 120GB SATA II
HD2: WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III
Power Supply: Seasonic X-750W Gold Modular

I am very very frustrated, my computer freezes continuously. No blue screens, just the computer freezes and I need to press the reset button. It occurs both in Windows 7 as Windows XP 32 bits.

I read this thread and other similar, I've tried the proposed solutions and nothing has helped.

The only solution I've found has been to reduce the memory frequency to 1066 (the original is 1333). Since then I no longer suffer any freeze, but now my RAM is more slower.

PD. Sorry for my English, I'm using Google translator.

My problem was solved by increasing the memory voltage to 1.58750V :)

ATM, I have C3/C6 disabled and that eliminates the "freeze when idle" problem for me but I'd like to think that's only a temporary solution since it does have an impact on TurboBoost. I was reading the thread that TGStyle referenced over at Asus and found something there that sounds familiar! Here's the post I'm talking about:

----------
Looks like the Corsair Vengeance is unstable at stock SPD. If I run the 1600Mhz mem in 1333mhz speed, which is the default value when installing the kit without doing any UEFI/BIOS tweak, the system hangs/freeeze after a while.

With the mem tweaked to vendor SPD recommendation, 1600mhz @ 8,8,8,24 - the system is stable.

So the conlcusion so far is that Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 is stable with recomended SPD, but not with default SPD, if i can call it that.
----------

I'm using Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) on my board and it's also running at default SPD settings (1333Mhz @ 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v). I'm going to adjust the timings when I get home tonight to the Corsair "tested" values (1600Mhz @ 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v) and then re-enable C3/C6 and see if I still get the freeze when the system is idle. Does anyone else having this problem have a similar configuration (i.e., RAM that's running at the slower default SPD instead of the faster "tested" speeds/timings)?

I almost hesitate to post this but since switching my RAM from Auto -> XMP and re-enabling C3/C6, my system has been sitting idle without locking up for ~15 hours now! I'm very cautiously optimistic.....

I don't know what did it but my system has now been going strong for awhile. Even before I got it replaced by the B3 revision, all of a sudden, I wasn't getting the random idle freeze. From what I remember, I didn't change anything. Although, I might have installed the Intel INF files and that might have done it (I can't quite remember).

Hello again ;)
I got my ASUS P8P67 Pro RMA Board yesterday with 1502 BIOS.
I really hoped that my sudden freeze issues are gone... nope!
The same old problem. Only disabling C3/C6 solved it.

Does anybody have a solution? I actually want to use the Turbo from the CPU...:(

Regards, Sascha

Hello again ;)
I got my ASUS P8P67 Pro RMA Board yesterday with 1502 BIOS.
I really hoped that my sudden freeze issues are gone... nope!
The same old problem. Only disabling C3/C6 solved it.

Does anybody have a solution? I actually want to use the Turbo from the CPU...:(

Regards, Sascha
I figured that it was fixed as of my last post as well but it apparently wasn't. Have you tried ensuring that the memory you are using is at spec or upped the voltage a bit? That seems to help others but I have yet to give it a shot.

Just had a hard freeze again which I call a sudden death freeze. So disappointed. I wonder if I should get the AsRock MB.

I wonder is this is RAM/MB related or only a flaw with enabled C states.

Last edited:
I figured that it was fixed as of my last post as well but it apparently wasn't. Have you tried ensuring that the memory you are using is at spec or upped the voltage a bit? That seems to help others but I have yet to give it a shot.

I was using this RAM (http://gh.de/a448852.html) with system-specs (everything AUTO).
Now I tried increasing DRAM Voltage a little.

Lets have a look on it ;)

Just had a hard freeze again which I call a sudden death freeze. So disappointed. I wonder if I should get the AsRock MB.

I wonder is this is RAM/MB related or only a flaw with enabled C states.
Well, I have not read about this issue with regards to other manufacturers and their P67 boards so it seems to be limited to ASUS. This would mean either incompatibility or something is screwy with their implementation of C states. Kind of a weird issue though and I'm curious as to whether or not ASUS has had the same issues in their testing center as well.
I was using this RAM (http://gh.de/a448852.html) with system-specs (everything AUTO).
Now I tried increasing DRAM Voltage a little.

Lets have a look on it ;)
Hopefully it'll fix it for you.

Do you mean the freeze/complete shutdown? If so, the problem is vdroop, basically at higher overclocks vcore drops too low @ 1600MHz and system simply crashes.

I believe this is my problem. Sometimes I get a hang and sometimes it's the 124 BSOD but it only happens when the cpu is at 1600mhz

I believe this is my problem. Sometimes I get a hang and sometimes it's the 124 BSOD but it only happens when the cpu is at 1600mhz

This is it. Are you using offset? Try clearing cmos and reset your BIOS settings. I am using +0.0600 offset @ 4500Mhz and so far so good. We will see.

I am also having similar problems with a Gigabyte UD4 sandy bridge setup with Ripjaw memory. The odd thing was, before the recall my board was rock stable....i got the new b3 stepping....and now I am getting the random lockups...for me...it looks like it kills my entire USB system....because my logitech MX desktop lights go out on the receiver....and all other usb devices (like a hardwire mouse) won't work....

I am also having similar problems with a Gigabyte UD4 sandy bridge setup with Ripjaw memory. The odd thing was, before the recall my board was rock stable....i got the new b3 stepping....and now I am getting the random lockups...for me...it looks like it kills my entire USB system....because my logitech MX desktop lights go out on the receiver....and all other usb devices (like a hardwire mouse) won't work....

That was one of the symptoms I was experiencing, too. Any USB device connected to the system seemed to lose power. My original P8P67 Deluxe did it. Then I exchanged that for the new B3 rev board and it did it, too. My system was 100% stable under load and this problem only occurred when the system was sitting idle. I tried everything I could think of and all the suggestions in this thread (and the other similar thread). The only thing I found that would prevent the problem was disabling C3/C6 in the BIOS/UEFI. Then one day I stumbled across a post on a different message board by someone saying that their Corsair Vengeance RAM seemed unstable when set to Auto in the P8P67 BIOS and that changing Auto -> XMP fixed the problem. I tried that and sure enough, the problem went away. After a day or so, I decided to try turning C3/C6 back on again and believe it or not, the problem has not happened once since then. My system has been on 24/7 for over a week now and no more freezing.

That was one of the symptoms I was experiencing, too. Any USB device connected to the system seemed to lose power. My original P8P67 Deluxe did it. Then I exchanged that for the new B3 rev board and it did it, too. My system was 100% stable under load and this problem only occurred when the system was sitting idle. I tried everything I could think of and all the suggestions in this thread (and the other similar thread). The only thing I found that would prevent the problem was disabling C3/C6 in the BIOS/UEFI. Then one day I stumbled across a post on a different message board by someone saying that their Corsair Vengeance RAM seemed unstable when set to Auto in the P8P67 BIOS and that changing Auto -> XMP fixed the problem. I tried that and sure enough, the problem went away. After a day or so, I decided to try turning C3/C6 back on again and believe it or not, the problem has not happened once since then. My system has been on 24/7 for over a week now and no more freezing.
What do you have your C3/C6 set at? Enabled or Auto?

I just had this happen on me again today. Its pretty annoying.

im starting to have this problem as well, its very annoying. If I leave for maybe an hour or so come back once my monitor comes back on the system hangs for a minute or two and then goes back to normal. I have c3 and c6 enabled but I wasn't using the XMP profile, I'm trying that right now actually.
Although I use Kingston HyperX BLu ram

I think i may have found the cure for mine Gigabyte. I have XMP turned off right now....but there was a second option for memory settings, which I remember turning on to TURBO (middle option) when I put the new B3 board in. I went back and put it back to the lower or whatever is the "normal" option. I also boosed the ram voltage to 1.56v, and it seems to be ok now....48hrs mostly at idle and no problems.

So now...the ONLY tweaks in the BIOS from Default are the multiplier (43x), the ram voltage (1.56).

I think this just happened to me on a pro.

I've got a 2500k @ 4.8ghz, everything but multiplier and voltage offset on default. I left for the gym and put Prime on blend. System Has passed 20 IBTs multiple times, and has yet to fail any length of Prime, but when I got back two hours later, both the mouse and keyboard had lost power and monitor was in energy saving mode. I figured Prime failed, but when I hit my power button, Windows resumed and Prime showed no errors for 2 hours. After I closed Prime, CPUz , and Real Temp, the system hung some, so I reset it.

It happens very randomly. Basically there is no way to predict it when its gonna happen.

Taking the battery out is a waste of energy. Why do you keep suggesting this?

You do know that boards have clear CMOS jumpers now. We've had clear CMOS jumpers (and more recently, buttons) for the last 10 years...

Does the same thing...much easier too, than removing a battery, and risking breaking the clip. Just make sure the PSU is unplugged so there's no +5vsb going to the board.

Only thing removing the battery does differently is makes you lose your time/date.

Taking the battery out is a waste of energy. Why do you keep suggesting this?

You do know that boards have clear CMOS jumpers now. We've had clear CMOS jumpers (and more recently, buttons) for the last 10 years...

Does the same thing...much easier too, than removing a battery, and risking breaking the clip. Just make sure the PSU is unplugged so there's no +5vsb going to the board.

Only thing removing the battery does differently is makes you lose your time/date.

Deluxe does not have jumpers. The button in the back is good for nothing. Thank you for reminding me again why I should stick to overclock.net.

Cheers.

What do you mean the button on the back is good for nothing? You press it and nothing happens? What happens when you press it with the power off? It should reset everything in the CMOS except the date/time. And what does trolling about overclock.net do? Talk about fallicies of reasoning...

I've NEVER had a board where the clear cmos jumper or button didn't clear the cmos.
It's certainly worked perfectly on my UD5. I've used it to recover from an infinite boot loop when I set power limit/amps to 35, and it did exactly what it was supposed to do.

If you have a ccmos button and it doesn't work, then you need to contact Asus and tell them the button/board is defective. Having to remove a button to clear a cmos is a BROKEN feature. Sorry if the truth hurts. Clearing a CMOS is what, 15 year old technology here. If Asus designed that board badly so the button doesn't do anything, please RMA the board . Did you ask in the Asus forums to see if that button is non functional ior something?

*Edit*
No need to pull battery and no need to troll.
Just found out this tidbit of information (from your overclock.net)

ah, maybe you need to pull the boards battery as well ?
the cmos reset button on the deluxe board reset everything on my board.

I did some digging through http://vip.asus.com/forum/ (which you can filter by motherboard model) and I haven't seen any posts or problems w/ the cmos not clearing.

So the button is working as its supposed to work.
If it doesn't, you have a bad board. RMA it.

Last edited:
im starting to have this problem as well, its very annoying. If I leave for maybe an hour or so come back once my monitor comes back on the system hangs for a minute or two and then goes back to normal. I have c3 and c6 enabled but I wasn't using the XMP profile, I'm trying that right now actually.
Although I use Kingston HyperX BLu ram

Did this work for you? I just had the idle, no USB power, resume windows hangup thing just now. Gonna try that XMP profile.

Just had another freeze. Can't wait to dump this pos MB. I am dead set on asrock. Bring it on!

I am just frustrated by the fact that I built this rig on Jan, and still having issues with it. Besides, it will be the third time that I will need to swap the MB.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's much help, but the x124 BSOD I was getting before was related to the overclock. Not enough vcore if I recall, and it would happen with little to no load.

IBT, Prime etc passed with flying colours.

For some reason they aren't really a good indication of total stability on this platform.

For me..it appears to be the DRAM voltage setting....I have the Gigabyte p67-UD4-B3, i tried to relax the voltage back down to 1.5v but the dreaded hang appeared again....i boosted it back up to 1.56V and it appears to be ok now.

[email protected]
RipJaw 4x4GB@1333

Back