Asus P8P67 Hangs after being idle for some time

Hey..
I solved my problems on two ways...

1) With using my "old" Kingston Value RAM I increased the DRAM Voltage just al little bit (1,52XX).
Every other setting is left on AUTO.
It ran for 72 hours without ANY problem.

2) I switched the RAM to the ADATA ones from the QVL. I have to say: PERFECT!
Clear CMOS - Switch to XMP Profile and every Cx-Setting to Enable.. No Problem for 50 hours and counting..

My advise is to habe a closer look at your memory configuration!

Regards, Sascha

If it helps anyone I run Corsair Vengeance at 1600mhz 8-8-8-24-2 everything else auto with 1.6V and everything has been okay so far. I haven't tried a lower voltage but the heatspreaders are so large I figure they'll be fine.

they aren't really. You dont really hear from people that dont have problems. Vocal minority and all that.

there was a poll somewhere where no problems far outstripped problems.

22% of people who voted reported problems - that's not a vocal minority from a manufacturers point of view, its a disaster.

22% of people who voted reported problems - that's not a vocal minority from a manufacturers point of view, its a disaster.

But the vote itself is a selection bias - as people with problems are also more likely to vote as a way of airing their grievances. Problems are always over-reported. Not saying it isn't a problem, but I seriously doubt if 22% of buyers actually have issues.

Two weeks ago, I put a new rig together, motherboard: Asus P8P67 (vanilla). Now make an educated guess about the first thing I googled for after installing Windows 7: "+p8p67 +freeze"...

That's also how I stumbled upon this thread in this forum.

My USB mouse and keyboard would freeze every 5-10 minutes, especially when copying files from one HDD to another (restoring backup to SSD). But it was not only the USB devices, in fact the whole computer froze, because I noticed that the second hand on the desktop clock gadget would stop moving, along with the animated bar of the copying window.

I swapped SATA ports (tried all of them), but to no avail. Then I disconnected the FireWire connection on the MB from the case port and deactivated the controller in the BIOS, and the freezes became much more seldom, but still appeared. Then I updated the BIOS to the latest version (1506), and obviously they must have tried to do something about the freezing issue, because now the mouse cursor would remain operational, but the keyboard would still freeze. Finally I increased the DRAM voltage to 1.575V, and since then had no single freeze for a week, even when the computer would idle over night. So finally, after losing a week to find a solution, I consider the issue solved - at least that's my hope...

On a side note and slightly off-topic: if I connect my Brother HL-1430 USB laser printer to any USB 2.0 port, it takes the board almost 30 seconds to even display the POST message, while the screen is totally blank and nothing seems to happen. When I connect the printer to one of the blue USB 3.0 ports, everything's fine, the POST message appears within 5 seconds (which is still slower than with my antiquated P45 motherboard, which I find kinda ironic). Now if I really needed the 3.0 ports, for instance to hook up a fast drive, that would REALLY piss me of...

This is my worst experience with a new ASUS board so far, but masochistically speaking, despite their lousy testing of their new P67 boards before release and the incredibly long time it takes them to fix this issue in the BIOS, I still kinda like this company... :D

Here's my rig for reference:

- Seasonic X-560
- Asus P8P67
- i7 2600K + be quiet Dark Rock Advanced CPU cooler
- 2x4 GB Corsair value RAM (9-9-9-24)
- HIS 6850 HD
- Samsung SH-B123L BD-Drive

Two weeks ago, I put a new rig together, motherboard: Asus P8P67 (vanilla). Now make an educated guess about the first thing I googled for after installing Windows 7: "+p8p67 +freeze"...

That's also how I stumbled upon this thread in this forum.

My USB mouse and keyboard would freeze every 5-10 minutes, especially when copying files from one HDD to another (restoring backup to SSD). But it was not only the USB devices, in fact the whole computer froze, because I noticed that the second hand on the desktop clock gadget would stop moving, along with the animated bar of the copying window.

I swapped SATA ports (tried all of them), but to no avail. Then I disconnected the FireWire connection on the MB from the case port and deactivated the controller in the BIOS, and the freezes became much more seldom, but still appeared. Then I updated the BIOS to the latest version (1506), and obviously they must have tried to do something about the freezing issue, because now the mouse cursor would remain operational, but the keyboard would still freeze. Finally I increased the DRAM voltage to 1.575V, and since then had no single freeze for a week, even when the computer would idle over night. So finally, after losing a week to find a solution, I consider the issue solved - at least that's my hope...

On a side note and slightly off-topic: if I connect my Brother HL-1430 USB laser printer to any USB 2.0 port, it takes the board almost 30 seconds to even display the POST message, while the screen is totally blank and nothing seems to happen. When I connect the printer to one of the blue USB 3.0 ports, everything's fine, the POST message appears within 5 seconds (which is still slower than with my antiquated P45 motherboard, which I find kinda ironic). Now if I really needed the 3.0 ports, for instance to hook up a fast drive, that would REALLY piss me of...

This is my worst experience with a new ASUS board so far, but masochistically speaking, despite their lousy testing of their new P67 boards before release and the incredibly long time it takes them to fix this issue in the BIOS, I still kinda like this company... :D

Here's my rig for reference:

- Seasonic X-560
- Asus P8P67
- i7 2600K + be quiet Dark Rock Advanced CPU cooler
- 2x4 GB Corsair value RAM (9-9-9-24)
- HIS 6850 HD
- Samsung SH-B123L BD-Drive

Do USB3 ports draw more power than USB2? I wonder what the deal is there.

Is this with an OC or at stock? What is your ram's rated voltage at? I haven't tried upping mine from 1.5 to see if I gain anything, but I have seen others doing the same. I wonder if the ram voltage is dropping at high CPU overclocks or something.

And people flamed Gigabyte for not having a UEFI Bios. And funny now that GB seems to have the more stable boards...

Do USB3 ports draw more power than USB2? I wonder what the deal is there.

Is this with an OC or at stock? What is your ram's rated voltage at? I haven't tried upping mine from 1.5 to see if I gain anything, but I have seen others doing the same. I wonder if the ram voltage is dropping at high CPU overclocks or something.

Everything is at stock (auto settings in BIOS), the RAM is rated at 1.5V.

i am having the same problem with my p8p67 deluxe, 2600k(at stock for now with stock cooler) 16 gigs of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600 (Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)

I saw other people were having this same problem and some saying they fixed it by rasing the dram voltage so i have been raising mine up 1 notch at a time went from 1.5v to 1.56785 atm read some guy had to put the voltage to near 2!!! to get his stable im afraid to push the voltage any higher it has got more stable than it was b4 but the pc still hangs time to time and i have to manualy turn it off and turn it back on. i have the ram atm at 1333, i had the raom at 800 for a bit just to see if the system would get more stable but it didnt help at all

i have the latest bios update as well im lost no idea what i should to do fix this, aside from this 1 problem the system runs like a dream was planing on buying a new heatsink and overclocking but think i will wait till the system is 100% stable

any one have any more ideas or somthign i can try?

Last edited:
I had the same freezing problems on 3 Asus P8P67 Pro motherboards. Two of them were the first version and the last was the B3 version.

The final fix was was switching the memory from AUTO to XMP.. The ram is G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL. I noticed when I set it to XMP everything stayed the same except the command rate switched to 2T. Has worked perfectly since then.

I was having these problems as well (i.e., hanging when idle but stable under load) until I switched my RAM from Auto -> XMP. Since then, everything has been 100% stable. See here.

I am having this problem, I disabled c3 and c6 reporting, set the ram to the correct speed (set to XMP) PLL overvoltage disabled.

I am still getting freezes when idle. I have all my hibernate settings / power saving settings off in my windows settings.

P8P67 Pro (Revision 3.0 I believe, just got it from RMA)
Corsair Performance 3 Series SSD 128gb
1TB HDD
EVGA GTX570
Intel i7 2600K Sandy Bridges
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Windows 7 Home Premium. Even on a fresh install I am getting this.

I am not the best with locating / installing drivers and modifying bios settings etc. Don't have enough confidence / understanding to do so. But any suggestions as to what to do next would be great.

I am having this problem, I disabled c3 and c6 reporting, set the ram to the correct speed (set to XMP) PLL overvoltage disabled.

I am still getting freezes when idle. I have all my hibernate settings / power saving settings off in my windows settings.

P8P67 Pro (Revision 3.0 I believe, just got it from RMA)
Corsair Performance 3 Series SSD 128gb
1TB HDD
EVGA GTX570
Intel i7 2600K Sandy Bridges
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Windows 7 Home Premium. Even on a fresh install I am getting this.

I am not the best with locating / installing drivers and modifying bios settings etc. Don't have enough confidence / understanding to do so. But any suggestions as to what to do next would be great.
One member said that they increased their memory voltage a bit and the problems went away.

I haven't had this issue in awhile now after RMAing my board for a second time along with RMAing my Ripjaws. It seems its either the board or the memory but I don't have any way to actually know for sure.

Try removing the Intel RST software and also remove the Intel drivers for the chipset. Use the default MS drivers included in W7 and let me know if that fixes anything.

Trying to debug similar issues. First on the P8P67 and now on the UD5 Z68, and I'm getting fairly close to being able to pinpoint the Intel RST 10.x drivers as the culprit.

I recently disabled Marvell controller in bios, and the problem is about 90% fixed. Only 90% since I did in fact encounter the same freeze a few days later, though that has been the only time in the past week since I disabled Marvell. There is still something wrong, though I have yet to completely pinpoint it. C1/C3/C6 disabled.

I recently disabled Marvell controller in bios, and the problem is about 90% fixed. Only 90% since I did in fact encounter the same freeze a few days later, though that has been the only time in the past week since I disabled Marvell. There is still something wrong, though I have yet to completely pinpoint it. C1/C3/C6 disabled.

If I have HDD / SDD in the marvel SATA ports, would I have to swap it if disabled? I have heard of multiple problems with the marvel drivers at least.

If I have HDD / SDD in the marvel SATA ports, would I have to swap it if disabled? I have heard of multiple problems with the marvel drivers at least.

Yes, though I for me I wasn't using any actual Marvell port and simply disabling Marvell itself was enough.

Hmm I am pretty sure I am using them atm, I will take a look and give that a shot though for some reason I am doubtful :/ I have had nonstop trouble with this motherboard before and after RMA... I am just assuming its the mobo due to the issue arising after I put this mobo in -.-

I set my SATA in the bios from AHCI to IDE and it seems to have stabilized though I am holding my breath...

Anyone able to clarify why this may have fixed it? I never changed the bios setting on this post install, I know that if you install with IDE it can cause windows to freeze up if swapping to AHCI but I never installed with IDE. I only had AHCI enabled ever... Anyways if this fixes it I will just leave this on and try and re-enable C3/C6 reporting, my understanding is when using single core this can increase the processing power.

The reason I suspected SATA being the trouble was after a crash, I was unable to boot up using my optical disk drive or my hard drive. this indicated SATA over other mobo problems, CPU or ram problems. I disabled it, was able to do a system restore and it seems to be working decently... 3 days no crash as far as I can see. Hopefully it sticks.

Is there any huge benefit to having AHCI enabled? I haven't noticed a performance loss since switching it to IDE.

Linking this, it was one of my sources of suspecting the AHCI. http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...375846592577877088&page=1&token=1306871905396

Last edited:
I've said it a few times (in other forums, maybe once here) that as far as I could tell the problem might lie with the Intel 10.5 drivers. Those caused two of my systems (P67 and Z68) to hang frequently. The only information I could find, but not confirm, is that a feature called Link Power Management might have frozen the computer if you had the right optical drive or hard drive or solid state drive that did not like what LPM was doing. The solution for me was to go back to the Intel RST 9.x series of drivers.

Now if someone had the time to play with the settings, a few drives, and confirm this crap that would be awesome. But for me...I'm sticking to 9.x.

Last edited:
looks like the problem is still there

now to actually figure out what the problem was, was a rather rough way.

having left the PC building and modding for quite a while aside, due to work load and entirely turning my attention towards apple products I returned a few weeks ago to a custom rig .... purely because of gaming reasons even though I would never again leave apple when its about stability and ease of use but thats not the point here :)

anyways

I did get a new rig but this time pre-build by a good german company

mainboard: asus p8p67-m pro rev.3.0
cpu: intel i7 2600k open multi @ 4 x 4,0 ghz
ram: 4 x 4 gb corsair vengeance low profile blue
vga: nvidia 590gtx, 2 x gpu (607mhz), 2 x 1,5gb ddr5 (854 mhz)
ssd: 2 x ocz vertex 3, raid0
psu: corsair hx professionial 650w
case: lianli v351 black

after we had to do deal with a busted graphics card due to rough handling by the shiping company we kept having full lock-ups with a rather nasty sound emitting from the speakers ......

to cut an extrem long and dreadful testing process short ...... we ran almost out of options when we discovered this site and these postings

- switching to XMP
- disabling C3 and C6 finally did the trick

I started getting random bsods while surfing and tabbing out of games when I started using offset mode on cpu voltage.

I disabled c1E, c3 and c6, works fine now. And a couple other notable settings, PPL overvoltage Disabled, Speedstep technology Enabled. Still running offset mode on cpu.

After suffering 5 months with a crashing Asus system, swapping parts, and trying all kinds of things, I tried member bmt22033 fix and it worked for me. Setting the RAM from Auto to XMT solved my problems of routine crashes with my Corsair memory and Asus board. Thanks bmt22033

Hi all, anyone solved this problem at all ?

I have P8P67 Deluxe with Kingston 1600 HyperX (XMP) as in QVL, but I can use them only in 1333, when I use XMP profile, they are automatically set as 1600 and whole system freezes randomly.

I had very similar symptoms to what DrCoolZic described in the first message of this thread.

My PC is i7-2600, P8P67 Deluxe, I updated BIOS to v.2302 from the start, Corsair Vingence 1600 9-9-9-24 4x4GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 as non-raid system disk, SATA-raid with two 3TB Seagate HDDs in mirror, Windows 7 x64.

Freezes were after some idle time. Quite selective freezes, some programs continued running, mouse was moving but reaction to clicks was slow. Task manager was the first to freeze, so it was not possible to track the offending process. I had a feeling that it is NT Kernel that causes the freeze, while userland activities were less affected. I was suspecting USB controllers, memory, CPU, etc. I searched through many forums describing similar problems.

Here's what I tried WITH NO LUCK (although all these solutions have helped some other people, so I list all them here for a reference):
- BIOS upgrade (in my case this has already been done)
- all various USB settings in BIOS setup
- using X.M.P. overclocking mode in BIOS setup
- I did thorough memtest86+ overnight (no errors found)
- enabling/disabling EPU/TPU by switches and in BIOS setup
- disabling PLL Overvoltage in BIOS setup
- plugging USB devices in USB2 ports only, then in USB3 ports only, disabling USB3 controller
- disabling reporting C3/C6 power states to OS in BIOS setup
- setting Turbo Ratio to Auto in BIOS setup

What has finally helped me:
- upgraded Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers from 10.5 to 10.8

I think the problem was with accessing SSD or HDDs after spidown. So probably disabling spindown could have helped either, but I upgraded the drivers first and can't now make it freeze again to test.

It was 3-days nightmare for me...

Last edited:
Back