ASUS P8P67 Deluxe build problem.

jgp83

n00b
Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
16
Hi, I'm fairly new to building my own gaming computer. Here is the problem I am experiencing. This happened right after I assembled the computer and turned it on the first time. The i7 2600k is reading 185F/ 80C in the Asus EPU bios. Then I will get a "cpu over temperature error". I've tried to narrow down what the issue might be with no leads. The intel stock cooler is connected tight to the motherboard. The only thing I didn't do was apply Arctic 5 thermal paste to the cpu since the intel stock cooler had it pre-applied. Any help would be greatly appreciated. These are the listed specs.

Intel Core i7-2600K
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive
Corsair TX850W Power supply
 
Is the fan on the cpu spinning?

Triple check the seating of the cooler because it is obviously is not cooling the CPU.
 
the stock CPU cooler is a PWM fan, wich means the rotational speed in reported.

what does it say the RPMs are in the bios monitor?
 
Yes, the stock cooler is plugged into the cpu fan plug on the motherboard. The fan does spin when the computer boots up. I've also checked the seating of the stock cooler and it is very tight with the plastic pins all the way through the other side. I've checked the rpms listed in the bios and it said 2000RPM for cpu fan. Thanks for the replies.
 
Then your next step is to remove the heatsink. Check the depression in the TIM. Clean and replace. If the situation repeats, clear the cmos, load defaults. You need to take the most probable item off the fault tree.
 
id try a bios reset (use the button on the back of the io shield) 1st, then replace the tim.
 
I've removed the heatsink and cleaned off the pre-applied thermal paste that came with the intel stock cooler, and applied Arctic Silver 5. The temperature for the cpu started at 52C then climbed to 68C. It hasn't exceeded 68C yet. Here are the latest temperature reading from the Asus EFI bios.

CPU - 152.6 F / 67-68.0 C
MB - 100.4 F / 38.0 C
CPU Voltage 1.152 V
3.3 V - 3.328 V
5 V - 5.160 V
CPUFAN 2170 RPM
 
That's great. Now what is the room temp and what bios version you running?

Reason: An older bios reads hotter than windows running temps. Newer ones read cooler.

Now that you are in a normal range, the next step is to see how normal.

Regardless, time to install your operating system. Google "Real Temp", a free cpu monitoring program. Use that.

I'm assuming you are using bios defaults right now, correct?

If not sure, boot to bios, F5, change whatever raid and sata settings you need, disable whatever you are not using, save and reboot. That makes you run at low defaults.

If you have approved Ram, you can change the profile to XMP.

You are running hotter than I've seen with the OEM heatsink. The MB temps either indicate a hot room or a case that doesn't have optimum ventilation.

The lesson here in building your own is to take things step by step and double check every applicable variable. Se what we are doing? The Mac wasn't wrong in thinking. He had a different approach. It's like building a fault tree. There are many solutions.
 
If you are going to install windows, Use Aida64 for temps, its asus approved and wont interfere with other monitors.

Per Asus, Bios temp and Voltages are higher than normal Idle that you will see in an OS due to higher than minimum (16x) multi being enabled.
 
Last edited:
?

40-43 is fine.

whats your idle vcore?

If you want lower temps, youll need a better cpu cooler.
 
If you are going to install windows, Use Aida64 for temps, its asus approved and wont interfere with other monitors.

It's usually best not to have more than one monitoring program running unless they are designed to avoid collisions.


I wasn't aware Asus had changed their position...
http://forums.aida64.com/index.php?...asus-ai-suite-2/page__view__findpost__p__2066
We already have an option in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability called "SMBus access through ACPI" to avoid conflicts with Asus' own monitoring and tweaking software. Please try to enable that option, restart AIDA64, and check if fixes the issues. Please note that it may or may not work on your motherboard, due to differences in ACPI implementation by Asus across various Asus-made motherboards.

BTW, just like most Windows monitoring, tweaking and oveclocking software, AIDA64 uses standard mutexes to avoid conflicts with other similar purpose Windows software:

http://www.techpowerup.com/wiki/doku.php/systool/mutexes_to_avoid_collisions

Even though the developers behind those synchronized software asked Asus numerous times to implement those mutexes in Asus monitoring software, Asus still refuse to do so. It makes avoiding such conflicts a very tough, almost impossible job
 
Per Raja or Gary in the P67 thread, the developers of AIDA64 have been working with Asus directly and supposedly it doesnt interfere.

ill see if i can locate the post, but that thread is a mess.

i use it without the ACPA bypass enabled with the asus monitor installed and running and ive not had any problems. I have fan profiles in use, so i need the dumb asus junk installed. I Also have a G19 and aida64 feeds it tons of temp and voltage info onto the screen.

EDIT: cant find the post. do what you think is best, but ive had no issues.
 
Last edited:
Per Raja or Gary in the P67 thread, the developers of AIDA64 have been working with Asus directly and supposedly it doesnt interfere.

ill see if i can locate the post, but that thread is a mess.

i use it without the ACPA bypass enabled with the asus monitor installed and running and ive not had any problems. I have fan profiles in use, so i need the dumb asus junk installed. I Also have a G19 and aida64 feeds it tons of temp and voltage info onto the screen.

EDIT: cant find the post. do what you think is best, but ive had no issues.

I trust your read and it is good that Fiery is getting support. But Aida64 isn't the only monitoring system in town and the yearly subscription plan will stop some from using it. Not to knock it, I've been a user since Aida32 days. What I like about HWiNFO64 and AIDA64 are their abilities to share Rivatuner info via Unwinder's UI that is now being used by both MSI and EVGA. So I guess my future recommendation will be based on how the fix is based. A Win32mutex is more open source and allows more choices for the masses. Certainly I'll temper that with info like what you shared with me for I wasn't aware of this new development beyond that last comment by Fiery. Thanks!

So sorry to hear that you need AI Suite for just fans. It's one reason why I decided to use water cooling. So much simpler outside of the annual maintenance. My old A7N8X still uses Alex's MBM5.

Fiery's AIDA64 is great. I've seen a lot of boutique programs come and go because simply offering free software usually turns out sour because of user expectations and the way they can demand things. I'm glad to hear about this development because for fan users, the only other major player is SpeedFan and while it too shows GPU info along with scalable fans, the impementation and support is not on the level of the AIDA64/AI SUITE combo. AIDA and RIVA are two examples of well supported programs that have found income for the developers in different ways.

Not to say I don't use fans or monitor temps and speeds...
 2n2nr5

 p3xcix


Speaking of AISuite, if only Asus could spend some time updating BT Go! so that it actually worked with iPhones without a tethering account, I might keep suite installed.

Thanks again for sharing that!
 
It's one reason why I decided to use water cooling. So much simpler outside of the annual maintenance.

This^^

OP, I have the same mobo and cpu as you and was having some temp problems myself. While I got it to within a good idle range (after reseating the cpu), I was getting major high temps when playing Battlefield Bad Company 2... which is notorious for this.

I just gave up and went the H70 water cooler and have never looked back... :D
 
Most of my hardware isn't very exotic, so perhaps im more problem free than others. I'm not sure its a new development per se Fiery's response could just be the official stance. If i remember correctly (which i may not), the post im referring to was prior to the May 11 date of fiery's response on the AIDA64 forum.

One of the reason i like AIDA64 so much is that it has full G19 support. Allot of others dont. Although i dont use the built in LCD support, i run it through LCDHost which has more robust LCD template designing tools.

Fiery has stated that they aren't introducing fan control anytime in the near future, so at least for a while im stuck with ai suite until they do. Since there is some limited use of some of the other AI Suite modules, im more inclined to stay with it rather than muck with FanSpeed or one of the other fan profilers.

The licence for AIDA64 includes upgrades and tech support for a year, not a yearly fee. The last version upgraded will be fully functional after your initial licence has expired. Im sure you know this, but i didn't want any readers to get the wrong impression.

I suppose i could go the whole hardware fan control route, as clearly you have, but my G19 gives me all the system info i could ever need, so it would be overkill.

i messed with BT go! it for a bit, but it has pretty limited use. It was pretty wonky on my Android phone as well. It also isnt active in Bios so its pretty worthless for Mouse/Keyboards. I run a second stack with a dongle for my Revolution BT mouse. Fortunately the two stacks play nice together and don't interfere as i don't disable the asus BT in bios.
 
Last edited:
This^^

OP, I have the same mobo and cpu as you and was having some temp problems myself. While I got it to within a good idle range (after reseating the cpu), I was getting major high temps when playing Battlefield Bad Company 2... which is notorious for this.

I just gave up and went the H70 water cooler and have never looked back... :D

ive been debating getting a H50/H70/H100 myself, but the size of the radiators has so far put me off. They just take up so much space for the extra 5 or so degrees over my 212+.
 
ive been debating getting a H50/H70/H100 myself, but the size of the radiators has so far put me off. They just take up so much space for the extra 5 or so degrees over my 212+.

It is large, but I didn't find any issues with it as far as getting in the way of other components.
I just got fed up with the high temps... most happy now!

And sorry... my mistake, I have the 2500k SB.
 
Most of my hardware isn't very exotic, so perhaps im more problem free than others. I'm not sure its a new development per se Fiery's response could just be the official stance. If i remember correctly (which i may not), the post im referring to was prior to the May 11 date of fiery's response on the AIDA64 forum.

One of the reason i like AIDA64 so much is that it has full G19 support. Allot of others dont. Although i dont use the built in LCD support, i run it through LCDHost which has more robust LCD template designing tools.

Fiery has stated that they aren't introducing fan control anytime in the near future, so at least for a while im stuck with ai suite until they do. Since there is some limited use of some of the other AI Suite modules, im more inclined to stay with it rather than muck with FanSpeed or one of the other fan profilers.

The licence for AIDA64 includes upgrades and tech support for a year, not a yearly fee. The last version upgraded will be fully functional after your initial licence has expired. Im sure you know this, but i didn't want any readers to get the wrong impression.

I suppose i could go the whole hardware fan control route, as clearly you have, but my G19 gives me all the system info i could ever need, so it would be overkill.

i messed with BT go! it for a bit, but it has pretty limited use. It was pretty wonky on my Android phone as well. It also isnt active in Bios so its pretty worthless for Mouse/Keyboards. I run a second stack with a dongle for my Revolution BT mouse. Fortunately the two stacks play nice together and don't interfere as i don't disable the asus BT in bios.

ive been debating getting a H50/H70/H100 myself, but the size of the radiators has so far put me off. They just take up so much space for the extra 5 or so degrees over my 212+.
Good point on the AIDA license. It needed clarity. I don't know if you say the thread where someone asked how harsh his stance was regarding multiple installs by the same owner and he was great in his veiw that it was allowable because he felt one person isn't going to be "using" all installs at the same time. I like his thinking.

lol, yeah, space-the final frontier. I kick myself for creating what reminds me of an old fiat I owned. I sometimes wonder if one of the contained HOH systems might have made life easier. But then I'd never have an Asus branded pump and the burns to go with it...
 9bya4c
 
Holy crap. Is that actual Copper i see coming off the CPU block? looks like the underside of a sink. lol
 
Back
Top