ASUS P8P67 B3 deluxe iaStor errors.

BGB

n00b
I am still getting errors in the error log stating
"The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."
the computer pauses for almost a minute then carries on as if nothing happened. There are no other symptoms.

I received this error also when using a B2 board so assumed it was that versions SATA bugs but now its started with a B3 board. It happens when using a WDC HDD connected to one of the Intel 3Gb/s ports. WDC diagnostics says the drive is OK.

Anyone else seeing this?

Windows 7 x64 home premium
ASUS P8P67 B3 deluxe bios 1502.
Intel Chipset Inf Update Program V9.2.0.1021
Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver software V10.1.0.1008
Intel Management Engine Interface v7.1.10.1065

thanks
Barry

Try enabling the "hot swap" option for that drive in the bios.

after doing this I used the drive intensely all afternoon and evening with no problems so it appears to work. Any idea why? and should I enable hot swap on all drives attached to the 3Gb/s ports? I have a BD writer and a DVD writer attached to ports 5 & 6.
thanks
Barry

Result :)

I dunno why it works... probably something to do with achi compliance. Enable it on the other ports if you like, I can't see it doing any harm.

I was getting this on my C300 until the 007 firmware udpate and I also moved over to RST 10.5 so I'm not sure which one may have fixed it. Isn't AHCI normally HotSwap ready on most setups? This is the first board I have had where it gave me the option to choose.

EDIT: I spoke to soon.. error returned and freezes as well. I read in another forum this fixes freezing issues for SSD users on P67 so hoping its a cure. Made the change on mine!

Last edited:
Theres a post on this forum about freezing due to this issue.

The fix is this: uninstall whatever intel RST drivers you have already on. Then restart your computer and let Win7 install microsoft's drivers (automatically) then restart your computer. Boom, problem fixed. At least for me. I use to get a freeze every 10 min in games, now i'm getting none for the past week.

Theres a post on this forum about freezing due to this issue.

The fix is this: uninstall whatever intel RST drivers you have already on. Then restart your computer and let Win7 install microsoft's drivers (automatically) then restart your computer. Boom, problem fixed. At least for me. I use to get a freeze every 10 min in games, now i'm getting none for the past week.

I thougth this was to get around the C300 firmware issue. Which I did the new firmware update but still get freezes. Id rather run the intel drivers if all it takes is to enable "HOT SWAP".

well i have a samsung spinpoint f1 and it worked for me. Never tried the hot swap fix, or heard of it.

right now, yeah. While i was trying to figure out a fix, i was on the 3gb first, and switched to the 6gb out of curiosity.

yeah, I have seen posts on other forums where enabling hot swap fixes issues and no one knows why.. This is another of those strange things going on with the ASUS P67 that seemingly have no explanation. As was said, HDD on AHCI controller means hot swap enabled by protocol.

I found several things on the internet about this:

"Hot plugging is a feature of AHCI and it's supported by the chipset, the only problem is I don't know of any way to force the hard drive to dump its cache to platters. With nVidia chipsets, you can click the "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray, but Intel doesn't support that. I looked in system properties, and "optimize for quick removal" is also greyed out.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/f154/hot-plugging-esata-possible-without-ahci-112301.html

And it looks like the Intel Controller does NOT support safely remove option, and ASUS added it to BIOS themselves

why is hot swapping only working on the marvell controller?

As long as the Intel SATA controller is in AHCI mode, hot plugging will work (I do this on Intel SATA ports in Windows XP, where there’s no native AHCI support). What you don’t get with the Intel SATA AHCI drivers in Windows 7 is the Safely Remove option for the connected drives. Windows 7’s native SATA AHCI drivers do have this feature, so uninstalling Intel’s drivers should bring the option back.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1588905

In other words, you can unplug the HDD when running, but the cache (32-64MB on most drives now) is still not cleared, unless you enable hot swap in the bios. Possibly also when shutting down or hibernating. At least thats the only possible explanation for the setting, and would explain some issues. And would explain why going back to IDE or Win 7 AHCI drivers seems to work. Windows def does not like unfinished business - any time you shut down Win 7 and something has not been saved it freaks out. And this is strictly an Intel AHCI/driver problem. Since SSD's are basically all cache, may also be involved with them.

So, based on my little quick research, I will now enable all hotswap on my Intel ports, just to be safe. This should allow me to unload cache under all conditions and yet still use Intel RST drivers.

Dunno for sure, and would not waste my time asking ASUS - been there done that. Apparently the only peeps that really have knowledge of these things are in Taipei or Taiwan, and I diont speak Chinese.

Yeah, so far I have had no more freezes since changing the Hot Swap setting to enabled. Strange stuff.

Yeah, so far I have had no more freezes since changing the Hot Swap setting to enabled. Strange stuff.
Weird but I'm glad you guys are getting it figured out.

With all the intelligence floating around here I had confidence a solution would surface. (BIG Thumbs-Up!)

So it looks like enabling hot-swap could have fixed the freezing problem without a Crucial firmware update on the P67 chipsets.

I have a feeling that there's more than one problem causing these Crucial drives' freezes and it seems to depend on the chipset being used.

thanks for everyones input on this. I have now enabled hot swap on my intel 3Gb/s ports. My OS drive is on an SSD on one of the 6Gb/s port and my main data drive is on the other and I have never had a problem with either, just the HDDs and BD/DVD burners connected to the 3Gb/s ports. very strange but if it works...
Barry

thanks for everyones input on this. I have now enabled hot swap on my intel 3Gb/s ports. My OS drive is on an SSD on one of the 6Gb/s port and my main data drive is on the other and I have never had a problem with either, just the HDDs and BD/DVD burners connected to the 3Gb/s ports. very strange but if it works...
Barry

Nuts how that fixes the issue. But mine has been solid over a day now.. no errors and no freezes.

Back