ASUS P79X79Pro doesn't automatically boot from USB -wrong BIOS setting?

x509

2[H]4U
If I insert a bootable USB stick into a USB port, the system won't automatically boot off that USB port. I have to manually boot the system into the BIOS, and then do a BOOT menu manual override. Is there a way to set the BIOS to automatically boot off a USB stick?

This is the one thing about the UEFI BIOS in my ASUS P9X79Pro system that has always annoyed me. I plan to replace this system next year as my main rig, but will keep it going as a secondary system.

If I insert a bootable USB stick into a USB port, the system won't automatically boot off that USB port. I have to manually boot the system into the BIOS, and then do a BOOT menu manual override. Is there a way to set the BIOS to automatically boot off a USB stick?

This is the one thing about the UEFI BIOS in my ASUS P9X79Pro system that has always annoyed me. I plan to replace this system next year as my main rig, but will keep it going as a secondary system.

Do you have fast boot enabled?

set the USB stick as the main bootdrive in the bios if this is an option.

set the USB stick as the main bootdrive in the bios if this is an option.
That works only if I first plug in the USB drive, and THEN reboot into the BIOS. Otherwise it doesn't work, which is why I started this thread.

I have lots of asus boards but not that particular one at the moment otherwise I'd try to help out. I'll try it on a Z97-a and see if it works okay.
Please let me know.

I'm going to do a new build later this year. I have always used ASUS boards, but if I can't solve this problem, maybe I will go with EVGA, Gigabyte or MSI.

Please let me know.

I'm going to do a new build later this year. I have always used ASUS boards, but if I can't solve this problem, maybe I will go with EVGA, Gigabyte or MSI.

Asus' support is awful, so that wouldn't be a terrible idea imo.

That works only if I first plug in the USB drive, and THEN reboot into the BIOS. Otherwise it doesn't work, which is why I started this thread.

But how do you have your boot order setup? It is possible it does not work if the USB drive is disconnected between boots as it would go off of the bootlist in that case you would have to leave it in there and use some kind of bootloader upon startup to select which device to load from or which OS to load

But how do you have your boot order setup? It is possible it does not work if the USB drive is disconnected between boots as it would go off of the bootlist in that case you would have to leave it in there and use some kind of bootloader upon startup to select which device to load from or which OS to load
If I go into the BIOS without a USB drive plugged in, there is no way to include a "generic USB drive" in the boot order. The boot order shows only drives and devices that were detected when I booted into the BIOS. That's the issue. On my Lenovo T560 laptop, where the BIOS is pretty barebones, I can arrange the boot order to boot of a USB drive, off the LAN, etc. I'm asking how I can set up the ASUS BIOS to work the same way as the Lenovo BIOS.

Do you want to boot that usb drive whenever you insert it? Hit the key for the boot menu upon boot up.

Do you want to boot that usb drive whenever you insert it? Hit the key for the boot menu upon boot up.
Actually yes I do. It's extra steps and extra time for the system to POST, then I have to go into the BIOS and do a Boot Override, and then reboot, and go through POST again.

Possibly stupid question: If I had a same-generation EVGA or MSI or Gigabyte motherboard, do those boards behave the same way as my ASUS board?

Actually yes I do. It's extra steps and extra time for the system to POST, then I have to go into the BIOS and do a Boot Override, and then reboot, and go through POST again.

Possibly stupid question: If I had a same-generation EVGA or MSI or Gigabyte motherboard, do those boards behave the same way as my ASUS board?

I dunno. I'll check my x570 strix bios. I think it has a generic/plain usb holder for boot options.

My x299 MSI board has placeholders like what you want. However my x570 doesn't use placeholders but its full uefi.

Reactions: x509
like this
My x299 MSI board has placeholders like what you want. However my x570 doesn't use placeholders but its full uefi.
Thank you very much. Ok. I guess I will have to download user manuals to find a board that has placeholders in the BIOS.

Thank you very much. Ok. I guess I will have to download user manuals to find a board that has placeholders in the BIOS.

In the cases I've seen, that option is only present if a bootable USB key is installed. You might have a format/USB key issue here.

In the cases I've seen, that option is only present if a bootable USB key is installed. You might have a format/USB key issue here.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of cases have you seen? which motherboard vendors?

For me, that option is always present if I have a bootable USB installed. No issues with the formatting, once I got Rufus under control. :)

I guess I'm disappointed that you can pay hundreds for a fancy motherboard with upteen different ways to set the memory timing, but you can't get a default option to boot from a bootable USB if present. :(

Back