Asus P6X58D Memory Dimms Malfunctioning?

Spherific

Limp Gawd
Hi, I have an Asus P6X58D, i7 920, and 3x 2GB Corsair DDR3 1600. I put my machine together around last week. On POST, it displayed ~6000MB of memory, and everything was running great.

So today I decided to overclock. I went into the bios and I set this AI setting to the XMP profile, which then set some voltages and timings on my ram. When I hit F10, it only showed ~4000 MB of ram in POST. I thought this was odd, so I reset BIOS back to default. It still only showed ~4000 MB of ram. I did an update to the last BIOS and it still displayed ~4000 MB. I also hit the CMOS button on the back of the motherboard and it didn't fix the issue.

In CPU-Z it is somehow able to detect that I have 3 2GB modules and shows 6144 MBytes in the memory tab. However, in Windows 7 task manager it only shows ~4000 MB.

I thought my memory could be defective so I took one out each at a time. The memory dimms my motherboard are laid out like this.

A2 A1 B2 B1 C2 C1

To run triple channel I have to put them in A1 B1 and C1. Each memory stick I tested in A1 detected fine on POST at ~2000 MB. After some more combinations, it turned out that my motherboard can't detect any memory sticks in C2 and C1. I can put the 3 sticks fine in A2, A1, and B1, but I don't get the benefit of triple-channel, it only gives me dual-channel.

Should I return the motherboard for a replacement?

Please let me know if there are any other things I can try to fix this. I really don't want to dismantle my computer and wait for a new motherboard.

Thanks for reading!

I just had the same thing happen. 12 gb on board. Everything was ok for about a month then windows and boot screen only showed 8gb but CPUID shows 12gb. It turns out that the CPU cooler (Noctua u12 push-pull) was heavy enough to possibly cause the CPU to lose contact with some of the pins? I made a support rod to hold the cooler up and take the stress off from the cpu retainer. Booted back up and 12gb shows back up again during bootup and windows also shows 12gb again. You might have the same problem. Try laying the box on its back and carefully measure a rod that just reaches from the bottom of the case to to the cooler. Make it long enough to just move the cooler slightly. Stand the case back up and see how much you have to move the cooler to insert the rod. I think you will be surprised how much the weight of the cooler can flex the main board.Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have also been having this same problem on my new X58 build. I have all 6 slots filled with 2GB DIMMs. What I've found is that the motherboard isn't detecting the SPD information for Channel A (and much less frequenty Channel B). When this happens the memory is detected but is listed under Win7 as "Hardware Reserved". Also I can tell this is going to happen on boot because the amount of memory listed on POST is either 8GB or 4GB. If I then go into the BIOS setup the "auto" settings for the undetected bank are listed as "-". Not sure what the hell is going on, but it's annoying for sure. It seems there are a lot of people having similar problems.

This is what Windows Resource Manager will show when a bank is undetected:
Resource_Manager_Win7_Memory.jpg

I did some more research and it seems like I applied to much mounting pressure on my Venomous-X. After looking at some high-res photos of a LGA1366 socket, my pins seem bent. I'm going to try to use the mechanical pencil method to bend them back. Hopefully all my pins haven't been "squashed". Some of the pins look really out of place.

It may also be possible that the weight of the cooler might deform the board enough that the ram sockets lose contact with the ram chips. Either way, since I made a support for the cooler everything has been good here. I will report back if I lose any of the ram again. I don't think I have any pins bent on the CPU chip socket because everything seems OK now.

Guys,

I have the same problem with this mobo (only 4GB detected out of 6GB -- but not showing up 'hardware reserved', not showing up at all). I have 6GB (3 sticks) of 1600mhz memorybut it is only detecting 4GB in Windows. I believe when I leave the BIOS on default auto settings, it actually detects 6GB at slower speeds / wrong timings, but when I put correct timings / speeds it detects 4GB. I'm putting 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 @ 1.64V.

This is the memory:
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
I did some more tests. The results are incredibly RANDOM. If I change some settings in the BIOS around voltage or RAM speed auto vs. manually set, it will sometimes detect all 6gb on POST and then in Windows. But when I restart, and it shows me Post again, it's gone back to 4gb.

My DRAM BUS voltag is 1.6ish and QPI voltage is 1.35. I've tried many different varieties and it inevitably goes back to detecting 4gb.

Wtf is going on??

Last edited:
I have a x58 EVGA micro sli, same thin 4g out of the 6g shows. On first boot and install of drivers and updates and multi reboots all fine. Then I updated BIOS and then thats when it happened for me too. I won't be booted again till the end of the week so hopefully someone finds a fix before I reboot, lol.

I set "ai overclock tuner" to X.M.P and it appears to be recognizing the correct amount of RAM now and correct timings.

I have not had this problem & I have 0702 bios update which is the latest, last I checked.

I am not exactly abusing the *H* out of things, but I am not playing nice either. OC-ed & over voltage set on everything & it runs 24X7.

I just tonight did an RMA with Asus over a similar issue. I had 6GB showing for about a month or a month and a half. Now it can't see the thrid DIMM slot at all, is flaky with 2 DIMM's and is now running with only one for stability. I'll check the pins when I have to remount the replacement board. It's just odd that it ran for that long with no issues then just started having problems recently.

I had this issue a few weeks ago, turned out my mushkin ram didn't like being in the 12gb configuration. Each piece worked fine up until I got to the 12gb mark. I was also able to "replicate" the overpressure issue with some shims on my h50 springs. I switched to G.skill ram and never looked back.

I wouldn't fault the board first, my mushkin worked great for a week, but stopped showing 12gb just randomly and stopped registering that last 2 gb.

To be sure, increase the QPI voltage and ensure it is within 0.5v of the ram voltage. This is a requirement when overclocking.

Well, Asus already has the RMA and the replacement is coming. I haven't overclocked anything since it started dropping off. I fully reset the BIOS by pulling the battery. It has the latest flash. I loaded all defaults. It could be a pressure issue, but I don't have that much applied. It's a Venomous X, but I didn't load it down to the full 70 pounds of force. It's got 40 pounds at default, and I cranked it just a little so it might have around 50 pounds.

I guess when the replacement gets here, I could off-load it to default and see what happens before pulling everything out. But, this is also one of the very early revisions of the P6TD Deluxe. They were just hitting the market when I bought mine.

ok my bios is now not recognizing 6gb anymore, only 4gb. I don't know what to do...help!

First thing that I can think of is to "re-seat" the memory cards ... pull them out push them in AND making sure that the end clips snap up. As I recall on mine, this took a lot of force (hurts thumbs but what the H!). As certain as I am about plugging this stuff in, it is still the 1st thing i would do!

Let us know????

I'm running the latest BIOS and it doesn't make a difference. Still recognizing 4 out of 6gb of RAM. Occasionally when I mess around with BIOS settings, it will recognize 6gb for 1 boot.

I just put together my system, Asus P6X58D & same GSKILL memory as pardo. Only 2GB of 6GB is recognized! Way to go ASUS, nice quality control you guys have there. I might have to end up trying to get newegg to send me a different make/model board. This is ridiculous. Seems they are rushing these out due to demand or something.

Anyways, in slot A1 (first blue) all 3 DIMMS work wonderfully all alone. I tried each DIMM all alone 1x1 in B1 (second blue) and C1 (third blue), no boot, nothing. It appears slots B1 and C1 are dead/malfunctioning.

VERIFY WITH CPU-Z first that cpu-z detects all memory before proceeding with the following.

Reseat cpu, test with stock cooler. Most of the time, if the bios does NOT detect a whole stick of memory AND is stock settings, it IS an issue with the cpu cooler being too tight. Exhaust all other avenues first before going after the board.

You guys are too quick to blame the board, when in reality there is a high chance it is something you are doing. Another thing that may cause ram to not be detected is a gap of >=0.5V difference between qpi and dram voltage.

Finally, it could simply be that the ram you are using is NOT qualified for the board. Unqualified memory for my setup was the cause for my inability to use 12gb.

READ THIS FIRST

http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-x58-6-...g-detecting-less-memory-than-installed-19200/

mine detects all 6gb on all default bios settings, but the second you overclock or put ram at correct 1600mhz speed, it goes to 4gb. Even the slightest change.

I am using compatible memory (model on vendor list) and voltages are all close to each other.

I'm stuck.

I had this same issue last night when I was building my new system. No matter what the system would only see 4GB of ram instead of the 6GB I had installed. I put each ram stick in the first ram slot and every one booted up. So I took off the VenomousX and put on the stock intel heatsink and all the ram was there. So I reinstalled the VenomousX and tighted down the two screws that have the springs all the way, then did 2 full counter turns on each screw to loosed them and the system then saw all 6GB of ram.

SO....if you have a non-stock heatsink play around with the mounting system you have. You probably have too much pressure on the CPU/Motherboard.

(Maybe this thread should be moved to the Intel mobo forum)

I had this same issue last night when I was building my new system. No matter what the system would only see 4GB of ram instead of the 6GB I had installed. I put each ram stick in the first ram slot and every one booted up. So I took off the VenomousX and put on the stock intel heatsink and all the ram was there. So I reinstalled the VenomousX and tighted down the two screws that have the springs all the way, then did 2 full counter turns on each screw to loosed them and the system then saw all 6GB of ram.

Asus sent me a refurb with some obvious signs of wear on it. The B1 dimm would not see any stick but A1 and C1 were good. With A1 and C1, I was able to pass memtest on all sticks. So I'm getting another board as I wasn't really too happy about going from a brand new board to the one I got.

So I'm guessing that you didn't use the middle nut with the Venomous X at all? No matter what, new or refurb, I'll be paying special attention to the pressure.

So I'm guessing that you didn't use the middle nut with the Venomous X at all?

I made the middle nut finger tight after the screw+spring bolts were down. Also the thermal paste that thermalright ships really isn't that good and it's hard to work with. Luckly I still had some artic silver around.

Here is something that crossed my mind and since I do not have an i7 perhaps someone can educate me.

From the Intel specs on the i7 900 family. (red is my highlight)
• System Memory Interface
— Memory controller integrated in processor package
— 3 channels
— 2 DIMMs/channel supported (6 total)
— 24 GB maximum memory supported
— Support unbuffered DIMMs only
— Single Rank and Dual Rank DIMMs supported
— DDR3 speeds of 800/1066 MHz supported
— 512Mb, 1Gb, 2Gb, Technologies/Densities supported

Now usually when Intel says "supported" it means it is tested and guaranteed to work. The fact that a memory speed is not listed here, your high speed OCing memory for example, does not mean it will not work it just means it may or may not and it is "unsupported" .

What I cannot figure out is that if the memory controller is built into the i7 920 core and you set the bios to read the SPD chip or the XMP profile, on a lot of this OCing memory it is going to try to run the ram at more than 1066 speeds and I don't see how that could work reliably. You could get a chip with a really good luck of the draw and a memory controller what will do higher speeds or you could get a dog and it will not do anything over 1066.

How are you guys setting the bios and memory speed ?
Have you tried setting the memory speed to 1066 and seeing if the memory reconfiguration problem goes away ?
What am I missing here ? (not having one to play with is a pain)

Right now all the CPU related settings in my bios is set to auto other than the Speedstep/Turbo/C1E etc. stuff which is disabled. The board properly auto detected my ram and set it to 1066. Also overclocking the Core series is different than any other intel or amd cpu.

This weekend I'm going to OC and go for 3.6/3.8.

What I cannot figure out is that if the memory controller is built into the i7 920 core and you set the bios to read the SPD chip or the XMP profile, on a lot of this OCing memory it is going to try to run the ram at more than 1066 speeds and I don't see how that could work reliably. You could get a chip with a really good luck of the draw and a memory controller what will do higher speeds or you could get a dog and it will not do anything over 1066.

I don't actually know how it does over run the memory controller, but it will. I had my memory all the way up to just over 1800 with 8-8-8-24/2T timings. It's rated for 1600 7-7-7-20/1T. With bone stock auto settings, it defaults to 1066 with 8-8-8-20/1T. Somehow, it's based on all of the different timing options you have in the BIOS. You can play around with them here: http://icrontic.com/apps/nehalem-calc/

I used this tool to help me dial in what I wanted.

So while overclocking and trying to get my temps cooler I screwed down the Venomous-x spring bolts all the way down and the board booted with all 6GB of ram. When I first built the system even at stock settings the board would only see 4GB of ram with the spring bolts all the way down. I might try adding a little pressure with the center nut/bolt and seeing if it only sees 4GB again.

Something else to pay attention to on this board is using auto timings for the Round Trip Latencies.

When trying to tweak my 1600 settings, I found that the board would set them quite aggressively, and they fluctuated from boot to boot on auto. When I started manually playing with them, I noticed that certain combinations were completely unstable, certain combinations gave me only 2 or 4GB available, and certain combinations worked beautifully....usually determined by trial and error.

For details on the RTL phenomenon check out this article.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3671&p=6

Also, I have found that using XMP on this board is generally a bad idea. Often times it sets values higher or looser and that can cause instability.

Here is something that crossed my mind and since I do not have an i7 perhaps someone can educate me.

From the Intel specs on the i7 900 family. (red is my highlight)

Now usually when Intel says "supported" it means it is tested and guaranteed to work. The fact that a memory speed is not listed here, your high speed OCing memory for example, does not mean it will not work it just means it may or may not and it is "unsupported" .

How are you guys setting the bios and memory speed ?
Have you tried setting the memory speed to 1066 and seeing if the memory reconfiguration problem goes away ?
What am I missing here ? (not having one to play with is a pain)

There are memory multiplers that function off of the bclk, so if you are running a 200 bclk and using a bclk *8 multi, the memory will be 1600. There are also bclk*6, 10, 12, 14, etc....
Lower memory speed often makes the problem go away but not always, especially if it is a pressure issue. Most D0 processors will handle 1600 memory easily but I had a few C0/C1 revisions that would not do 1600 memory no matter what I did. So yes, luck of the draw here.

Bottom line is that i7 cpu's are so friggin different from batch to batch that you could have one proc that can't even do 180 bclk with 1.4v and another that does 220 bclk with 1.3v, so it becomes a bit of a PITA to deal with on a support forum for sure :)

So while overclocking and trying to get my temps cooler I screwed down the Venomous-x spring bolts all the way down and the board booted with all 6GB of ram. When I first built the system even at stock settings the board would only see 4GB of ram with the spring bolts all the way down. I might try adding a little pressure with the center nut/bolt and seeing if it only sees 4GB again.

Be careful too. Mine saw all 6 for about 4 weeks before I started having problems. It went downhill fast from there. Still awaiting on a board. Should be in next week.

Back