TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Which of these would be best taking into consideration:

1. I will not be overclocking.
2. A single 8800GTX will be used.
3. Must be Windows Vista Certified.
4. Stability is job #1.
5. Features.

I plan on using an E6600. However, If the rumored price drops happen this month, I may even go with a E6700 or a Q, somewhere in the 6600/6700 range.

My entire build sheet, so far, is here:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=4769112

As always, thanks!

They are both 975 Chipset at stock they will be virtually identical. Get whichever one is the least expensive or the one that appeals to your eye.Either will OC later should decide to try it.

WZ

I'd go by features. The DH has the wireless and some other stuff while the BX2 is no frills. Both should be similar.

I think the Intel Bearlake is coming out any week now (1333 fsb, DDR3, HDMI support, ICH9 chipset etc.) so I would wait for that (not sure what Asus will have).

wait for the Much anticipated G00se Lake board arrives too. Or you could make any order and start enjoying the fastest system you ever had by this weekend or early next week.
If it is frills you want then the P5W DH definately has them. I personally love the P5W DH. I have been running it since June of 2006. I run my 6600 daily at 3825mhz like it's nothing. Never a Glitch of any kind!! but still you geot to get the one you want not the one I want per say.

WZ

I'm not sure how long it is until Bearlake is released, but you can bet it's going to be expensive (I'd say $200+ and DDR3 memory).

That thread started off informative, but then took a wrong turn on page 2. There's no way to tell what, if any, concensus was reached unfortunately.

jonnyguru reported lots of dying BadAxe2's about 3 or 4 weeks ago at his site.
jonnys thread

You can't go wrong with either of those boards. If I were you I'd look at all the extra's that come with the P5W DH and if they sound like thing you would use then I'd go for it. I have the P5W and I really like the extras that are with it. If you don't think they will be useful for you then get the BadAx2, theres no since in getting the P5W if you dont want the goodies

I've had both and overclocked both. I prefer the BadAxe to the P5W any day.

I think the Intel Bearlake is coming out any week now (1333 fsb, DDR3, HDMI support, ICH9 chipset etc.) so I would wait for that (not sure what Asus will have).

Do you have any links that show the estimated time of arrival for Bearlake chips, motherboards, and memory?

I wouldn't mind waiting, I just wanna know how long I'd be waiting.

I've been itching to pull the trigger on my newegg wishlist:
Intel 975XBX2 + QX6700
2x2G mushkin PC2-8500 (1066MHz)
BFG Tech BFGR88320GTSOC2E GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
3ware 9650SE-16ML 16 port sata II raid
Zalman 9700 LED

The only thing holding me back is the mushkin is out of stock.

"With Intel set to unveil its next-generation Bearlake desktop chipsets (also known as the 3 Series) by the end of this month, market intelligence firm DRAMeXchange is predicting that DDR3 supportable motherboards and DRAM modules will soon follow beginning in the second quarter of 2007."

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2115031,00.asp

Keep in mind Bearlake will be able to use DDR2 or DDR3 so there wouldn't be a rush to get DDR3. Bearlake is better for quadcore since 4 cores are known to bottleneck existing fsb's in comparison with dual core. I wouldn't wait a year for it but its ready to drop.

Keep in mind Bearlake will be able to use DDR2 or DDR3 so there wouldn't be a rush to get DDR3. Bearlake is better for quadcore since 4 cores are known to bottleneck existing fsb's in comparison with dual core. I wouldn't wait a year for it but its ready to drop.

Excellent info, thanks. My Ford dealership helped me make the decision to wait last night charging me $1400 for various maint & repair items. I'll wait until next my quarterly bonus.

Kluster

Back