Asus P5Q, Q6600 and the heatsink question

shaggy77

Gawd
Hi,

I finally got a new Q6600 from Intel RMA. They are pretty freakin' quick with RMAs :). Anyway, I had today off and I replaced my E8400 with the Q6600. Power up the computer and nothing. Did the usual clear CMOS. once again nothing. So as a last resort, I tried the stock cooler instead of my faithful Big Typhoon. Well interestingly enough, the stock cooler allowed my computer to post. Has this happen to anyone else here? Any recommendations in what to do next when it comes to cooling my CPU or is this some kind of P5Q and Quad Core issue? It was no problem with the Dual core E8400.

Let me know what you all think about this one. Yes I did try to search via google but I do not think my google prowess was good.

Hi,

I finally got a new Q6600 from Intel RMA. They are pretty freakin' quick with RMAs :). Anyway, I had today off and I replaced my E8400 with the Q6600. Power up the computer and nothing. Did the usual clear CMOS. once again nothing. So as a last resort, I tried the stock cooler instead of my faithful Big Typhoon. Well interestingly enough, the stock cooler allowed my computer to post. Has this happen to anyone else here? Any recommendations in what to do next when it comes to cooling my CPU or is this some kind of P5Q and Quad Core issue? It was no problem with the Dual core E8400.

Let me know what you all think about this one. Yes I did try to search via google but I do not think my google prowess was good.

Hmm, I did not have any issues installing the Q6600 on my P5Q Deluxe. It booted right up the first time. I used both the Intel Stock cooler and Xigmatek cooler and both worked fine.

Perhaps the motherboard is not sensing the Typhoon and therefore not allowing it to boot? Not sure what it could be.

Some boards require a fan to be plugged into the CPU fan header in order to boot. If you weren't doing so with the Big Typhoon, that could have been it. You could try going into the BIOS and disabling the CPU fan monitoring, which might solve the problem.

Hi,

Thanks for the answers so far. I can say is the only thing that changed was the CPU i went from E8400 to Q6600. Each time the BT fan was connected to the CPU fan header. I will look into the fan monitoring disabled to see if that solved the problem. The stock cooler runs a bit hot when it comes to the 3.0 GHz OC :)

Maybe the part mounting hardware of the aftermarket HSF is shorting the motherboard - coming in contact with the case

Hi,

Well I reinstalled the Big Typhoon. I had an S flex F NIB on the shelf and that seem to do the trick from what I am guessing. All I know is my CPU is running a whole lot cooler than before.

Hi,

Well the same darn thing happened to me again today. Upon further investigation it looks like tonyluu has the best idea of what was going on. It looks like the mounting foam on the back plate may have seen better days. There might be some form of shorting happening creating an issue with start up. I was thinking about getting a new CPU cooler anyway.

So for now the Stock cooler will have to suffice. I shall now debate on what to buy. I got the fan just need the cooler.

Hi,

Well the same darn thing happened to me again today. Upon further investigation it looks like tonyluu has the best idea of what was going on. It looks like the mounting foam on the back plate may have seen better days. There might be some form of shorting happening creating an issue with start up. I was thinking about getting a new CPU cooler anyway.

So for now the Stock cooler will have to suffice. I shall now debate on what to buy. I got the fan just need the cooler.

Get a TRUE or the xigmatek equivalent.

Hi,

Get a TRUE or the xigmatek equivalent.

I was thinking about getting the True over the xigmatek. Xigmatek's mounting system appears cheesy for the size of the cooler. Yes I know there is a mounting plate for the cooler but then I have to pay more money. The TRUE option has always caught my eye but I could not warrant the purchase until now. Noctua's offerings caught my eye. Just as good as the True at the same price range. Add in shipping, I am basically a few bucks away from just going to Microcenter for the cooler if I really want to. However for right now, I will have to use the stock cooler for monetary reasons. Maybe next year once the holidays are over.

Ah just go with the TRUE. Looks way better than the xigma to say the least. Plus you already have a fan.

Back