Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

Hi mate, anyone here teach me the step-by-step guide on how to OC my P5E-VM? Btw here are my specs:

Mobo: Of course Asus P5E-VM
Proc: E2180 stock 2.0Ghz
HSF: Zalman 8700NT
Mems: G.Skill 2 x 2Gb 800Mhz
PSU: Hec WinPower AB 550Watts
BIOS: 0503

Any replies is highly appreciated. Thanks

-Battlestar

One issue is getting my SATA hd to run in AHCI mode, I've only got it working in IDE mode at the moment. Any ideas from anyone on this?

Common problems switching to AHCI under Windows
Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS will cause a 0x7B Blue Screen of Death STOP error (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) on installations of Windows XP where AHCI/RAID drivers for that system's chipset are not installed. Switching to AHCI mode requires installing new drivers before changing the BIOS settings.
For Intel chipsets(for example, Intel ICH9) drivers are available from either an OEM board or computer manufacturer. For the Intel versions, the driver must be loaded before loading the OS (by pressing F6 as setup starts).The intel drivers will work for both XP and Vista. Also, in the case of ICH9, an unsupported method to enable AHCI on ICH9 is available.
When attempting to install Microsoft Windows XP or a previous version on an AHCI-enabled system will cause the setup to fail with the error message "set up could not detect hard disk drive...". This problem can only be corrected by either using a floppy disk with the appropriate drivers, by slipstreaming the appropriate drivers into the Windows XP installation CD or by turning on IDE emulation in the BIOS settings if available.
Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS with Windows Vista already installed will result in a BSoD if SATA has been running in IDE mode during Vista's installation. Before enabling AHCI in the BIOS, users must first follow the instructions found at Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922976.
Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS on installations of Windows XP or Windows Vista will cause SATA Optical drives to disappear. A Hotfix for Windows Vista is available under the title: "SATA optical drives are not available after you start a Windows Vista-based computer."[4]
As quoted from Wiki

Dunno if it'll help? I just tried switching mine, but doesn't detect either... so still using IDE mode.
Is there that much of a change in speed? My current drive doesn't have NCQ.

Hi mate, anyone here teach me the step-by-step guide on how to OC my P5E-VM? Btw here are my specs:

Mobo: Of course Asus P5E-VM
Proc: E2180 stock 2.0Ghz
HSF: Zalman 8700NT
Mems: G.Skill 2 x 2Gb 800Mhz
PSU: Hec WinPower AB 550Watts
BIOS: 0503

Any replies is highly appreciated. Thanks

-Battlestar

I have the same proc. and the G.Skill DDR-1000 (2x2Gb)
Max OC I could get was 3.15ghz (9x350) but had to bump my vcore to 1.4v to be stable.
I currently run at 2.85ghz (8x355) stock Vcore with a mem strap of 266 and mem running 1066hz

I see temps of 65c max loaded with OCCT.
Stock intel cooler btw...(Proc got too warm with 1.4v for me....)

In tracking down a hard disk transfer/write problem I was having on my new system, one of the things I altered was that I enabled AHCI mode in the bios (ver 0405). It seemed to work. I am not using a sata optical drive though, and I already had 64-bit vista installed along with sp1, as well as all the chipset drivers, and all the windows updates to date.

All I can attest to is from word of mouth. I am told, whether its true or not, that the P5E-VM HDMI is the better overclock board vs the P5E-VM. Is this true.. I cannot say. All I can attest to is my particular individual experience with my P5E-VM HDMI board. It has been rock solid. There is a bit of Vcore droop but otherwise, it has allowed me to overclock my Q6600 quadcore to a max front side bus of 512! I would say that's pretty solid performance. That's an accomplishment that I was never able to achieve on my FULL ATX boards with a quadcore processor!

I have the same proc. and the G.Skill DDR-1000 (2x2Gb)
Max OC I could get was 3.15ghz (9x350) but had to bump my vcore to 1.4v to be stable.
I currently run at 2.85ghz (8x355) stock Vcore with a mem strap of 266 and mem running 1066hz

I see temps of 65c max loaded with OCCT.
Stock intel cooler btw...(Proc got too warm with 1.4v for me....)

Thanks buddy, care to share the step-by-step guide on BIOS? thanks :)

-Battlestar

I just replaced all of my old DDR2 667 RAM with DDR2 800 RAM. I don't overclock though. Ever since I replaced the RAM, I sometimes see a message during post about overclocking failing or something like that.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

I just replaced all of my old DDR2 667 RAM with DDR2 800 RAM. I don't overclock though. Ever since I replaced the RAM, I sometimes see a message during post about overclocking failing or something like that.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Hi mate, I think this is normal. I've seen this message also a lot of times :). Is this the one that "Press F1 to Bios or F2 to continue?"

Yeah, there's a message saying that overclocking failed and after that message it says something like "Press F1 to enter BIOS or F2 to continue.".

So that is normal when using DDR2 800 RAM on this board?

No that is not normal. You have a setting messed up somewhere. Since you changed you ram I would focus there. Make sure the timings and voltage are set to spec.

Thanks buddy, care to share the step-by-step guide on BIOS? thanks :)

-Battlestar

Sure! Here yea go...

From the "Configure System Performance Settings" page:
(I've only listed options I have changed, everything else is set to default)

Ai Overclocking: Manual
CPU Ratio: 8.0
FSB Strap: 266MHz
FSB Freq: 355MHz
PCIE Freq: 100MHz
DRAM Freq: DDR2-1066MHz
DRAM Timings:
CAS:5
RAS:5
RAS Precharge:4
Activate to Precharge:14
CPU & PCIE spectrum: Disabled
CPU Voltage: 1.35v
Dram Voltage: 2.0v
NB Voltage: 1.35

With your RAM being DDR2-800 you will probly need to change the dram Freq to match your RAM.
You also have a better cooler, and may get a higher OC on the proc.

HTH! and Good Luck!!

P.S. One thing I forgot to mention, You didn't mention your vid card so...
I use a HD3870 vid card. I've heard that you can't get as high O/C with onboard video...
I haven't tried though... I've got mine disabled.

Sure! Here yea go...

From the "Configure System Performance Settings" page:
(I've only listed options I have changed, everything else is set to default)

Ai Overclocking: Manual
CPU Ratio: 8.0
FSB Strap: 266MHz
FSB Freq: 355MHz
PCIE Freq: 100MHz
DRAM Freq: DDR2-1066MHz
DRAM Timings:
CAS:5
RAS:5
RAS Precharge:4
Activate to Precharge:14
CPU & PCIE spectrum: Disabled
CPU Voltage: 1.35v
Dram Voltage: 2.0v
NB Voltage: 1.35

With your RAM being DDR2-800 you will probly need to change the dram Freq to match your RAM.
You also have a better cooler, and may get a higher OC on the proc.

HTH! and Good Luck!!

P.S. One thing I forgot to mention, You didn't mention your vid card so...
I use a HD3870 vid card. I've heard that you can't get as high O/C with onboard video...

Thanks chief, I'll try your recommended settings once I've got home. What highest OC btw you've got? I've noticed also that I can't change the DRAM Freq to 1066. Is this because my mems got DDR2 800 only? Thanks :p

Sure! Here yea go...
I've got a celeron 420 (1.6ghz) (still waiting for my E8400... :mad: ) running at 2.9GHz and using the onboard video. Changing only the FSB and leave the other options to 'auto' didn't work well (able to raise the fsb only from 200 to 216. On board video stops when raising the fsb to >216).

Anyone running the board on linux, and got sound from the CD audio in? Audio from the TV card connected to the onboard CD audio in with Windows works fine, not in linux with the alsa drivers.
edit: got it, modprobe saa7134-alsa and a bit more tweaking)

No that is not normal. You have a setting messed up somewhere. Since you changed you ram I would focus there. Make sure the timings and voltage are set to spec.

I've never changed any of the RAM settings in the BIOS. I always leave them at default or auto.

Hi everyone,

I just finished reading all 33 pages of this thread, great info. I'm planning to get his board ASAP but I have one question before I do so: at the beginning of the thread, it was stated that whenever a PCI-E GPU was plugged in, it immediately disabled the X3500 IGP. That would really kill it for me, since I was planning on getting a 9600GT and using four monitors plugged in (two LCDs, one TV and the touchscreen from my HTPC case).

So i just wanted to verify that this is indeed the case, even after all the bios revisions and everything. There is really no way to use both the IGP and a GPU concurrently?

Yeah, there's a message saying that overclocking failed and after that message it says something like "Press F1 to enter BIOS or F2 to continue.".

So that is normal when using DDR2 800 RAM on this board?

I don't know if it's necessarily a problem with your memory. I'm running an E2140 @ 2.4 (6 * 400) and I sometimes get the same message. My o/c is rock solid, so it leads me to believe it is just an intricacy of this board.

Thanks Tom. I tested my RAM with MemTest 86 and 86+ for at least 24 hours on each test and the RAM tested fine. Every setting related to overclocking in my BIOS is set at default.

At this point, I agree. The board is just being finnicky.

Thanks chief, I'll try your recommended settings once I've got home. What highest OC btw you've got? I've noticed also that I can't change the DRAM Freq to 1066. Is this because my mems got DDR2 800 only? Thanks :p

Highest OC I've got is 3.2Ghz (9x355) but had to up my volts to 1.4v.
I can't for the life of me get this board over 405Mhz FSB,
kinda sucks for when/if I get a q9450 or an x3350.

Anyone know what I can try to get the board over 405Mhz FSB?

I'm thinking this is reason why my 1TB WD in Antec MX-1 not recognized when I turned it on in windows but recognized if I turn external HD first then turn on my PC? If so, where can I get this file?

Common problems switching to AHCI under Windows
Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS will cause a 0x7B Blue Screen of Death STOP error (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) on installations of Windows XP where AHCI/RAID drivers for that system's chipset are not installed. Switching to AHCI mode requires installing new drivers before changing the BIOS settings.
For Intel chipsets(for example, Intel ICH9) drivers are available from either an OEM board or computer manufacturer. For the Intel versions, the driver must be loaded before loading the OS (by pressing F6 as setup starts).The intel drivers will work for both XP and Vista. Also, in the case of ICH9, an unsupported method to enable AHCI on ICH9 is available.
When attempting to install Microsoft Windows XP or a previous version on an AHCI-enabled system will cause the setup to fail with the error message "set up could not detect hard disk drive...". This problem can only be corrected by either using a floppy disk with the appropriate drivers, by slipstreaming the appropriate drivers into the Windows XP installation CD or by turning on IDE emulation in the BIOS settings if available.
Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS with Windows Vista already installed will result in a BSoD if SATA has been running in IDE mode during Vista's installation. Before enabling AHCI in the BIOS, users must first follow the instructions found at Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922976.
Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS on installations of Windows XP or Windows Vista will cause SATA Optical drives to disappear. A Hotfix for Windows Vista is available under the title: "SATA optical drives are not available after you start a Windows Vista-based computer."[4]
As quoted from Wiki

Dunno if it'll help? I just tried switching mine, but doesn't detect either... so still using IDE mode.
Is there that much of a change in speed? My current drive doesn't have NCQ.

Highest OC I've got is 3.2Ghz (9x355) but had to up my volts to 1.4v.
I can't for the life of me get this board over 405Mhz FSB,
kinda sucks for when/if I get a q9450 or an x3350.

Anyone know what I can try to get the board over 405Mhz FSB?

I'm having a similar issue where no matter what i do, i can't seem to post at 400fsb. I can run 9x395 just fine, but even if i drop the multiplier to 6, i still can't hit 400fsb. Not sure if i hit the limit of my particular chip or if my board is just being stubborn. I will be doing more testing tonight.

Sorry, has anyone got a GeForce 8800 GT or 9600 GT running with this mobo ?

Everything fine ? No compatibility issues ?

I'm running a PaLiT 9600GT on my P5E-VM hdmi with no probs. I just played CoD4 a few times and it runs great. Video playback also excellent.

I'm thinking this is reason why my 1TB WD in Antec MX-1 not recognized when I turned it on in windows but recognized if I turn external HD first then turn on my PC? If so, where can I get this file?

I believe you have to download the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software and then run whatever line of code to extract it using command. Then it'll extract a few files of which you want to integrate into your XP disc using a program like nLite.

Are those of you, who are having trouble getting around a 400-ish FSB, increasing your FSB voltage?

No, actually I have not.
Honestly, some (ok... most) of the voltage settings I'm not sure what they do.

CPU Voltage Reference, CPU Voltage Damper, PLL Voltage, FSB Termination Voltage, and North Bridge Voltage Reference

What are the default settings, and what should they be set to?

anyone have any ideas? i'm using coretemp to monitor my current oc, it's 39c at idle/59-60c load. i see other people have been able to get past 400fsb without changing any voltage settings, i have tried now up to 1.5v core voltage, it still will not post past 389.

per cpu-z's memory page i am seeing that this memory has timings 5-5-5-15 tras 12 trc 22 command rate 2t, voltage 2.0. i've tried that and it will not post.

should i just give up at this point? would 3rd party cooling make any difference?

excepting for fsb/memory speed 387/774 and disabling spread spectrum and c1e + speedstep all my settings now are set to auto.

-------------------------
asus p5e-vm hdmi
e6550 @ 2.7ghz stock cooling
4gb patriot memory pc6400
2x WD 500gb harddrives (raid 1)
msi nx9600gt 512mb 700/1750/950 (stock)
vista x64

k maybe stupid question toschek but did u do the vdroop mod ??
(n00bie at oc but i know it will give alot of problems when OC )

No, actually I have not.
Honestly, some (ok... most) of the voltage settings I'm not sure what they do.

CPU Voltage Reference, CPU Voltage Damper, PLL Voltage, FSB Termination Voltage, and North Bridge Voltage Reference

What are the default settings, and what should they be set to?

Here are the settings that worked for me.. (I did not perform the vdroop mod)..

As for your testing, sounds like you pretty much covered all the bases.. Here are some noteable settings in my BIOS:

CPU Ratio Setting: 7.0
FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto
FSB Frequency: 500
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1001mhz (***This # may be different if using other than 1066 ram***)
DRAM Timing Control: Manual (***Use your manufacturers rated timings***)
--DRAM CAS# Latency: 5
--DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM RAS# Activate to Precha: 15 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM Write Recovery Time: AUTO
--DRAM TRFC: AUTO
--DRAM TWTR: AUTO
--DRAM TRRD: AUTO
--DRAM TRTP: AUTO

Clock Over-charging Mode: 0.80v

CPU Spread Spectrum: DISABLED
PCIE Spread Spectrum: DISABLED

CPU Voltage: 1.45v
CPU Voltage Reference: AUTO
CPU Voltage Damper: ENABLED
PLL Voltage: 1.64v
DRAM Voltage: 2.16v (***Use your manufacturers rated spec voltage***)
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.46v
North Bridge Voltage: 1.47v
North Bridge Voltage Reference: AUTO
South Bridge Voltage: 1.20v

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm using same setting as officermartinez on my G0 Q6600 except I set it to 350x9 1:1 with G.Skill 2x2GB PC8000. I can't seem to go beyond 3.15Ghz. My RAM shouldn't hold things back, I bumped VCORE little more but still failed so I went back to 1.45v, set to 410x6 to see if mobo can handle at least 410FSB which seems ok but anything over 3.15Ghz seems to just crash and restart PC. I'm thinking this is max that my CPU can handle and it's not fault of mobo, ram or anything else? BTW VID on this is 1.3125

Thanks

There was an interesting article that I read on the "new" half multipliers... I spent 15 minutes trying to find it but can't. Have you tried to use a whole number vs half number multiplier? I'd give it a whirl just to rule that out, right off the bat. I see you used a 6x multiplier..

My QX6700 did WEIRD things on a 6x multiplier (not saying yours is weird too, but that would effectively rule that out as well)! As for your testing, sounds like you pretty much covered all the bases.. Here are some noteable settings in my BIOS:

CPU Ratio Setting: 7.0
FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto
FSB Frequency: 500
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1001mhz (***This # may be different if using other than 1066 ram***)
DRAM Timing Control: Manual (***Use your manufacturers rated timings***)
--DRAM CAS# Latency: 5
--DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM RAS# Activate to Precha: 15 DRAM Clocks
--DRAM Write Recovery Time: AUTO
--DRAM TRFC: AUTO
--DRAM TWTR: AUTO
--DRAM TRRD: AUTO
--DRAM TRTP: AUTO

Clock Over-charging Mode: 0.80v

CPU Spread Spectrum: DISABLED
PCIE Spread Spectrum: DISABLED

CPU Voltage: 1.45v
CPU Voltage Reference: AUTO
CPU Voltage Damper: ENABLED
PLL Voltage: 1.64v
DRAM Voltage: 2.16v (***Use your manufacturers rated spec voltage***)
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.46v
North Bridge Voltage: 1.47v
North Bridge Voltage Reference: AUTO
South Bridge Voltage: 1.20v

Hello,

I bought this board yesterday and bumped into the 400MHz FSB wall. No matter what I tried the system just wouldn't POST above 400MHz, with an E4500. Today however, I put an E6420 into my board, and voila, I could easily go beyond 400MHz.

With this in mind, I don't know what's wrong. I'm only certain about one thing: it depends on the CPU. Any ideas?

Hope this helps a little,
SZGY

Here are the settings that worked for me.. (I did not perform the vdroop mod)..

As for your testing, sounds like you pretty much covered all the bases.. Here are some noteable settings in my BIOS:
I thought I had everything covered too... I've been through this thread, and seen other's post on voltages and such... but no luck with anything over 405.

I've tried your settings now as well (Thnax!) but still no go. :(

Maybe as SZGY says, baybe it is the proc?
So SZGY... what FSB speed can you get now?

I could push the FSB with this CPU to 480, as far as I remember. The system posts without any problems, but of course the CPU is unable to handle this kind of speed (at least with the cooling I have). I haven't tried lowering the multiplier but I'm almost certain it would work.

I'm surprised that you are hitting that wall. I'm sure the processor has a little to do with it but I am racking my brain on trying to figure out exactly what obstacles you are encountering. I am begging to feel a little less helpful... I just downloaded P95 and I'm testing my temps at 3.0ghz (500 FSB x 6).. With the exception of cleaning off the factory thermal paste off of the NB and replacing it with AS Ceramique, I have done nothing to this board.

Could the "weakest" link be your RAM? It was weird to see that popping one processor out and lieu of another allowed you to overcome the FSB wall.. I know some processors are simply "better" and each processor has a certain "unique-ness" about it, but it's still surprising to see how much of a limitation, certain hardware parts can have. I'll report my P95 temps back in a little while (it won't be a full 8 hours, but it will be long enough to give an idea of the kind of temps I am encountering).

All right, now to clarify things a little...

First, I've been fiddling with an E4500. The system would POST all the way up to 400MHz FSB. Setting the FSB higher, even to just 401MHz, it didn't POST anymore. I quickly ruled out the RAM because I tested it with a lower FSB and 5:4 setting... worked fine. In desperation, I disabled all onboard devices, even the IDE and SATA controllers but the system refused to boot even at 401. I also tried disabling all the CPU features like SpeedStep and such, to no avail.

Then I popped in the 6420 and oddly enough, the 400MHz barrier just disappeared. I used similar settings to what's been posted a couple of posts above. The only difference was the RAM voltage, FSB and multiplier (set to the minimum of 6 for the E4500 and the maximum of 8 for the E6420).

To be honest, I'm completely baffled by this. It's a major head scratching issue.

All right, now to clarify things a little...

First, I've been fiddling with an E4500. The system would POST all the way up to 400MHz FSB. Setting the FSB higher, even to just 401MHz, it didn't POST anymore. I quickly ruled out the RAM because I tested it with a lower FSB and 5:4 setting... worked fine. In desperation, I disabled all onboard devices, even the IDE and SATA controllers but the system refused to boot even at 401. I also tried disabling all the CPU features like SpeedStep and such, to no avail.

Then I popped in the 6420 and oddly enough, the 400MHz barrier just disappeared. I used similar settings to what's been posted a couple of posts above. The only difference was the RAM voltage, FSB and multiplier (set to the minimum of 6 for the E4500 and the maximum of 8 for the E6420).

To be honest, I'm completely baffled by this. It's a major head scratching issue.

Wow! I'm still scratching my head.. LOL. I was able to sucessfully test my current settings at 3.0ghz.. It's really nothing to write home about but I do enjoying having a 1:1 ratio on my ram and a 500 FSB. Since this is a screenie from my HTPC, I think it does just fine at 3.0ghz! My temps are acceptable with over an hour at 100% fully loaded on all 4 cores. I won't be putting my HTPC through this kind of "torture" on a day to day basis. My Q6600 and my P5E-VM HDMI proved to be a winning combo for my needs..

30ghz500FSBFULLLOADTEMPS.jpg

Back