Asus p5b Vanilla + e6300 problems - HELP!

hi all, just upgraded my friends pentium 4 3.2ghz system to a core 2 e6300 and I am having stability problems.

He had a s775 pentium 4 HT @ 3.2, msi mobo, 1gb ddr1, ram, x850 pci-e,etc

was abit slow for photoshop and avid xpress so we updated it

We used some of his old parts, this is the systems specs.

core 2 e6300
coolmaster hyper 48 (taken from his old system, used artic silver 5)
Asus P5B Vanilla (they did not have the deluxe in stock)
2GB Cosair value select DDR2 667 (1gb x2) [ram overclocks like a demon]
ATI x850 PCI-E (used from old system)
onboard sound @ HD mode
onboard gigabit nic (DISABLED)
Segate 320gb 7200.10 SATA-2
panasonic DVD-RW on the IDE channel
Lanli case with 4 fans
Silent 380w PSU (I think its an enermax)
Dlink DWL520 wireless-G PCI (bottem slot)
Adaptec firewire PCI (2nd lowest pci slot)
Dell 24inch LCD

Even at stock speeds, I am getting random lockups on this system. Not even at full load, just while browsing the net or using photoshop.

I also cannot get the system stable over 3.15ghz (450fsb)

I got the latest bios, set the ram divider to 533 (1:1), did all the bios mods that were needed,etc for it to overclock.

I ran prime 95 for over 8 hours, no problem. But I am stillg etting random lockups. Driving me nuts. I am thinking

1) bad bios flash
2) PSU not putting out enough juice
3) bad board

I did not get the deluxe because they did not have it in stock. Any ideas what could be causing the random lockups here?

using winxp sp2 - reformatted afew times - did not load avid or photoshop,etc

just browsed web and bam - it crashed. any ideas?? HELP!

oh god, its time to upgrade it.

im thinking the same thing - going to put some thermal paste between the northbridge/southbridge and the heatsinks - apparently that is a common problem

if not, new psu time

I can't get over 2.8GHz stable on my e6300, so it is possible that your chip just won't do it. I would think that your power supply may not be enough...do you have an extra one laying around that you can test with? I don't know what to say about your stability problems...in my experience if a machine will pass dual prime and memtest, then it doesn't crash. I don't think I've ever seen a machine crash that passed both prime and memtest (unless the video card is overclocked).

bail_w said:

oh god, its time to upgrade it.

depend what quality of you PS. I am using 6-year-old 350w Antec with my E6300/DS3 mobo, overclocked to 3.250GHz.

Lyquist said:
I can't get over 2.8GHz stable on my e6300,

try this to get 3.250 GHz (7x465)

PCI Express: 100
Mem Multiplier: 2
Mem timing: 5-6-6-17
Cpu volt: 1.337

ran memtest x86

one of the ram sticks was bad. took it out - perfectly stable at 3.31ghz now! gona go rma it tomm

foxnews said:
depend what quality of you PS. I am using 6-year-old 350w Antec with my E6300/DS3 mobo, overclocked to 3.250GHz.

A six year old Power Supply has a 4\6 pin 12V ATX connector?

Back