Asus P5B or Abit AB9 Pro

arman01

Gawd
Hi guys, sorry for making sort of a double thread, but i need to make a decision very soon. which of the two would be better overall in terms of OC ability and most of all stability?

Either one should be ok. I'd probably give the nod to Asus right now, but the Abit is priced right compared to the P5B Deluxe. I have an AB9 Pro right now, and it's ok. It probably needs a few more bios revisions before I'd recommend it without reservation though. I'm probably going to swap it out for a P5W DH.

Im looking at these 2 boards atm too. What kind of OC are you getting on that AB9 Pro?

Make sure you have a working floppy drive and an available way to create a bios flash disk before you install the ab9 pro. I had one and ultimately had to return it because I kept getting blue screens while trying to install windows.

9mmx19 said:
Im looking at these 2 boards atm too. What kind of OC are you getting on that AB9 Pro?

I had a P-D 805 up to around 3.6Ghz on air cooling. I had some issues with WinXP installs. I had to install off of an IDE DVD drive with a SATA adapter on it (Rosewill Newegg one). It worked, but not very well.

Wait the 805 runs at 133x20 so 3.6GHz is only 180FSB right? So that doesnt really say much about how high itll go with a Core 2 Duo right? =\

TheWikipediaPwnzJ00 said:
Make sure you have a working floppy drive and an available way to create a bios flash disk before you install the ab9 pro. I had one and ultimately had to return it because I kept getting blue screens while trying to install windows.

Sounds eerily similiar to my experience too, I had the floppy drive and disks ready but I just couldn't get windows XP installed on that thing. Even using IDE compatible mode or AHCI mode, nothing worked.
I replaced it with the P5B deluxe and was up within 20 minutes, go figure!

Crap I was pretty much sold on this board...

If I dont plan on OC'n much it will be fine right?

refering to the AB9 Pro

Phazedplasma said:
Crap I was pretty much sold on this board...

If I dont plan on OC'n much it will be fine right?

refering to the AB9 Pro

It should be fine... But why not the Asus since people aren't really having any real problems with these? It's a great little board... Current bios support upto 500fsb... Newer bios might go upto 600fsb... Long as you don't have geforce 7950 you should be fine... Probably will get a bios update to support them soon..

P5B already has 7950 support.

The AB9 Pro was rushed big time. The Bios is a mess and needs serveral revisions imho.
I'd dropped the extra cash and grabbed a P5B Deluxe AND a P5W DH just incase. I normally avoid Asus like the plague but both these boards have been super solid and Asus, unlike Abit, are updating the BIOS like crazy. Plus the Crash-free BIOS thingy with the thumb drive is damn handy and has already saved my bacon twice. ;)

not the vanilla anyway.... But we got a bios update today so we will see...

I'm an ABit fan (my system is a A8N-32X SLix16), but I have to admit after dealing with the AB9 Pro and the P5B Deluxe, I'd say go with the ASUS one. the AB9 Pro, if you look on abit's forums, you'll see pages upon pages plastered with posts about their computers being totally unstable.

I reinstalled the AB9 Pro for a buddy of mine and it's a decent motherboard. You have to install the RAID drivers during Windows install in order to use an IDE CD drive, but other than that, it works well and is stable. I had a E6600 up to 3.2Ghz or so. 800mhz OC is nothing too bad IMHO. It's not a P5W DH, but it's $80 less :).

The P5B is not without its problems but it is a solid board. No problem I encountered was unsolvable and even so, the issues I had were minor.

The Abit board I haven't tried so I have no real opinion on it.

No problems here with my P5B-Deluxe. I'm running my E6600 at 2.75GHz with all other settings at stock. (Haven't tried pushing it yet at all though.) Layout isn't bad, it's quick, seems stable. I've been playing games on it since I set it up a couple days ago.

Back