• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ASUS P4S800 - how much memory does this take?

sidespar

n00b
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
15
I have a P4S800 currently with 512MB DDR400. I need to upgrade my memory so I can run Flight Simulator X.

The MB manual says that it supports up to 3GB of memory (it has 3 slots) with the following note:

"PC2100/PC1600 up to 3 DIMMs; PC3200/PC2700 up to 2 DIMMs; 1GB PC3200/2700 with 32 DDR chips up to 1 DIMM only"

So, does this mean I can only put in 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200?
Furthermore, I am concerned with the "32 DDR chips" qualifications. Depending on the number of chips a module has, it may only support 1 DIMM??? How do I make sure the memory I am buying will work?


And on to a bigger question:
Do you think it is more worth it to put $150 to upgrade the RAM in my system, or should I just build a new system with LGA775 (right now I have a P4 3GHz 478 prescott and a 64MB AGP radeon video card)? I wouldn't want to spend more than $400 for a new mobo/processor/video card. Should I keep hobbling along on my current system and maybe upgrade my video card (mobo only takes AGP), with the intention of building a new system in a year or so, or should I just do it now? I mean, damn, I only built this one less than 2 years ago... All I want to do is run FSX. Only other thing I do on it is email.
 
As a follow-up, if I buy this memory, it should work, right? It says it has 16 chips per stick (16x64MB). So, since it's less than 32 chips, it shouldn't be subject to the 1 DIMM restriction, right?

"Kingston's KHX3200AK2/2G is a kit of two 128M x 64-bit 1GB (1024MB) DDR400 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) CL2 memory modules, based on sixteen 64M x 8-bit (16M x 8-bit x 4 Bank) DDR400 SDRAM in TSOP packages. Total kit capacity is 2GB (2048MB). Each module pair has been tested to run at low latency timing of 2-3-2-6 at 2.65V. The SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard latency timing of 3-3-3-8 at 2.6V. Each 184-pin DIMM uses gold contact fingers and requires +2.6V."
 
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=P4S800

Crucial doesn't make that distinction. I'm not sure how that SiS chipset worked. Most boards don't have that kind of limitation. I think worst case scenario is you'd have to run DDR400 memory at DDR333 speed, and that should be as simple as a bios setting change.

That Kingston memory is overkill. You don't need anything fancy. You just need more memory. Crucial/Corsair/Kingston value sticks would work fine in your setup. I'd probably dump the memory you have and get two 1GB sticks of value RAM. Then use the rest of your money toward a new video card. In AGP, I'd either get an Nvidia 7800GS or an ATI X1950Pro. Both of those should extend the life of your system at least a year and provide you some decent FSX gameplay.
 
Well, that kingston memory was on sale for $160. Seemed like it was a good deal whether it was high performance or not. Figured I would pick up a 2GB kit if I could make sure it would work. But Kingston doesn't list it for my board.

But that memory should run at 333MHz if 400 doesn't work?
 
Well, that kingston memory was on sale for $160. Seemed like it was a good deal whether it was high performance or not. Figured I would pick up a 2GB kit if I could make sure it would work. But Kingston doesn't list it for my board.

But that memory should run at 333MHz if 400 doesn't work?

I don't see why it wouldn't. Worst case you boot with one stick, make the change in bios, then add the 2nd stick if it doesn't boot right off the bat with both sticks.
 
Back
Top