ASUS Outs AMD Ryzen 3 1200 CPU

So, are we going to get a $50-$70 Dual-Core Ryzen Based Phenom/Athlon to compete against the Pentium G4560?

Still waiting on the APU.
More specifically, if the R3 can simply compete with the i3 on business tasks, it is not a good value for me, as I would still have to purchase a GPU. The R3 will have to compete on business tasks with the i5, and be priced at the low end of the i3 level to make it a good value proposition. I don't need "good" graphics for a business machine, just acceptable 2D graphics. Any "current" LP GPU (I do slim cases for most of my business machines) costs enough to require that price/performance ratio.

So, are we going to get a $50-$70 Dual-Core Ryzen Based Phenom/Athlon to compete against the Pentium G4560?

no, that'll most likely be the ryzen based APU's.. the roadmap for ryzen cpu's shows that the 1200 will be the lowest non APU.

More specifically, if the R3 can simply compete with the i3 on business tasks, it is not a good value for me, as I would still have to purchase a GPU. The R3 will have to compete on business tasks with the i5, and be priced at the low end of the i3 level to make it a good value proposition. I don't need "good" graphics for a business machine, just acceptable 2D graphics. Any "current" LP GPU (I do slim cases for most of my business machines) costs enough to require that price/performance ratio.

agree, i don't see it being used in the business environment but if it can compete with the i3 i see it being a good option for oem's. being able to say they're selling a quad core is a lot better than saying they're selling a dual core to the less educated consumers they're trying to sell to. AMD needs to figure out the motherboard and microcode shit first though before oem's will touch it.

Having worked in consumer PC sales for a decade, I can garentee that a well-priced i3 and Pentium competitor will rake in MASSIVE cash.

I personally still rather have AMD use a 4C/4T to compete against a G4560, rather than another 2C/4T.

I know I am in a very fringe case, but if I were considering a Ryzen 2C/4T and G4560, I'd very likely choose choose G4560 almost everytime due to netflix support, which Ryzen currently do not support at all.

Ryzen 4C/4T OTOH would definitely make me stop and think hard about it.

I personally still rather have AMD use a 4C/4T to compete against a G4560, rather than another 2C/4T.

I know I am in a very fringe case, but if I were considering a Ryzen 2C/4T and G4560, I'd very likely choose choose G4560 almost everytime due to netflix support, which Ryzen currently do not support at all.

Ryzen 4C/4T OTOH would definitely make me stop and think hard about it.

As someone using an i3 temporarily, a 4c 4T would be very welcome as a temporary/tide me over box vs the current i3 shit-a-pocalypse. HT is never as good as a real core, you can tell when something uses CPU e.g. 12-20% CPU the whole thing slows down.

TLDR: people saying most wouldn't notice an I3 have not used one. I haven't even done heavy productivity/CAD just light use and can feel it.

As someone using an i3 temporarily, a 4c 4T would be very welcome as a temporary/tide me over box vs the current i3 shit-a-pocalypse. HT is never as good as a real core, you can tell when something uses CPU e.g. 12-20% CPU the whole thing slows down.

TLDR: people saying most wouldn't notice an I3 have not used one. I haven't even done heavy productivity/CAD just light use and can feel it.

Well, I own an i3-4160 and recently built a Pentium G4560 with my GF for her and honestly, for basic office and web-use I really don't see a difference between them or my i7 4790k and 6700k. I put a GTX950 and Radeon 7930 in those machines respectively and they can do some gaming (Overwatch, Paladins, Rocket League) at high settings at 60+ FPS.

Back