ASUS OR DFI???

heavenlykid

Limp Gawd
jus wanting to here all you votes on Dfi VS Asus i like both motherboards. I'm in processes of building new system and just wanted info on all aspects of both manufactures customer service and stabilty etc.. Thanks

I have a dfi blood iron and it is really good. Never oced it but from what I know its a great board to OC

are you asking about DFI LT X38-T2R LanParty & Asus Maximus Formula? or the P35 one's?

+3 for DFI. I think Asus quality has dropped off the chart since the days of boards like P4C800-Deluxe...

- Joey

Asus if you want easy bios tweaks, DFI if you want more options that come with a learning curve with bios tweaks.
ASUS quality has slipped a bit but their getting back on track it seems, but DFI > ASUS.

Asus if you want easy bios tweaks, DFI if you want more options that come with a learning curve with bios tweaks.
ASUS quality has slipped a bit but their getting back on track it seems, but DFI > ASUS.

Maximus is very tricky to OC, it will go high FSB, but often unstable. Many memory dividers issues
DFI LT X38-T2R LanParty in the reviews look more stable with very high FSB on a quadcore
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/revie...ng-review.html

ASUS is a pain in the ass while OCing , especially auto setup sometimes ends in nubers i don;t belive i;m seeing .. i set up CPU PPL for 1.5V and i see after restart 1.62 And so on ... its a great board but it has it's days ...

DFI was a king dunno what's with it now
And i took ASUS because all collers are Thermaltake changeable ..

Thermalright you meant? I just looked by the way on thermalright site, and DFI LP mosfets/NB/SB coolers are also interchangeable with ASUS ones, same revison of coolers.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...mcl.htm#dfip35

X48 all the way here, lower chipset voltages required and if I interpret the reviews correctly some of the annoying ram issues of X38 have been resolved... I still prefer my P5K Dlx over my Maximus Formula SE... even though the latter is slightly faster in benches...

dfi wont have a ddr2 x48 the only difference in the chips is marketing and the bios, were teh x38 is basic bios but made for full xfire, and the x48 is made for ocing and benching with full xfire, but they are electrically identical and while there may be a binning the main difference is the bios that its paired with, but dfi has the t2r x38 and t3r x48 so they dont everlap

if u look at the rampage its the same as the maximus from layout and performance with a 2c cooler NB (probly from a different paste) but affter having the dfi x38 and looking at the maximus then seeing the rampage bios preview they are giving u most of the dfi options and thats the difference

this is what intel has said before
x38 = enthusiast
x48 = overclocking/bench box

and that is just a bios away, i bet that u can even flash a maximus to a rampage and get the same ocing

Yes if you can wait proppably wait for X48 imo, i'm lazy to wait so i had an X38 DQ a great board but terrible choices if you wan't to change the stock cooling for a better one , and then Maximus Formula, witch requires a lot of BIOS set up if you wan;t to run 24/7 100% stable ...

I've used both boards, like them both. They are both good boards, it just depends on your preferences. In my experience, Asus is much simpler to overclock. If you are familiar with the Asus bios, you can set it up in a half hour. With DFI, as others have noted you need to be prepared to spend a lot more time tweaking. That can either be rewarding or aggravating, depending on your perspective. (Note, with loadline calibration enabled I have found the recent Asus boards to be very good in terms of vdrop).

The key advantages of the DFI board are more options for memory tweaking, and more options to fine tune GTL reference voltages. GTL voltage is key for maximum quadcore overclocking success, and will allow you to reach a higher stable quadcore overclock if you're willing to spend the time. Based on the Asux X48 previews at anandtech, it appears that Asus is expanding the range of memory and gtl tuning options in the new models, but for X38 the DFI definitely excels in that area.

As others have said, with X48 so close it makes a lot of sense to wait. All indications are the X48 boards will be an improvement, whichever manufacturer you choose.

I should’ve put the XT link :rolleyes:
anyway i'd go for the Rampage Formula :D

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I've never had problems with the high end Intel Asus boards personally. I'm using the Maximus now, but I've used DFI in the past (Ultra-D), and it was a great board. Price (both) and availability (DFI) are usually my concerns.

+1 for both of them ;)

I just ordered a DFI LT X38-T2R LanParty. I just had a Asus Maximus that was having heat issues with the chipset and crappy copper NB SB pipe.

Glad to see you went "DFI" as i hate ASUS more and more from their cheap quality move and lack of bios updates with zero info on the update. I am on a Asus P5K Vanilla and it has been nothing but trouble from day one. This will be the last ASUS i ever buy do the fact it is a money issue and they put their customers last.

Good Day

Whats up with ASUS's site? That has to be the slowest website ever, i tried downloading my sound drivers there a while back and it was horrible.

the DK X38 is the board i'm considering at the moment as well. for your setup it should fit the bill nicely. i like the DK orange over the LT green :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136045

how's that. what do you guys think ? is it worth it ? for lets say an e8400 and a 9600gt , with 2 or 4 gigs of ram ? am not trying to be king of the hill,just wanting a nice pc for daily work use and some counter-strike source game time

Yes. It's reported to overclock very well and stability is unmatched. If my SLI and 780i venture doesn't work out, I'll be picking up one of those myself, or the X38 version. I tweaked my previous DFI board to no end and it's still working to this day, only as of a few months back, with a second owner. I like their quality.

- Joey

the DK X38 is the board i'm considering at the moment as well. for your setup it should fit the bill nicely. i like the DK orange over the LT green :D

orange is nice but LT is so much better performance and options wise.

orange is nice but LT is so much better performance and options wise.

According to whom? As I stated above, "It's reported to overclock very well and stability is unmatched." That was in reference to the DK P35 and the DK X38, and is repeated almost verbatim in the few reviews that do exist and are floating around online.

But you need to give it time, both versions of the DK are VERY new and have EXTREMELY limited reviews and user experiences feedback. Their stock has been nothing up to this point and still is. There are very few retailers in the US that sell these boards and their stock doesn't seem to last long.

MotherboardPro has sold out at least twice for the DK P35 and only has 4 left in stock as of this post;
http://www.motherboardpro.com/DFI-LanParty-Dark-P35-T2RS-Socket-775-Motherboard-p-428.html

The DK X38 is fairing better and has not yet sold out;
http://www.motherboardpro.com/DFI-L...tel-X38-ATX-DFI-Motherboard-Retail-p-531.html

NewEgg has both the X38 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136045 ) and the P35 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043 ) in stock as of this post, but they have also sold out at least once before.

For the price of these boards and the performance and quality they offer, I don't think you can beat 'em. I've yet to see a board priced at the same amount that can stack up against 'em.

- Joey

According to whom? As I stated above, "It's reported to overclock very well and stability is unmatched." That was in reference to the DK P35 and the DK X38, and is repeated almost verbatim in the few reviews that do exist and are floating around online.
I was referring to only two dfi boards here DK vs LT x38 for overclocking .

Main reason I stated LT over DK (x38).....8 phase Digital vs 4 phase cooling nuff said. For someone looking to do heavy overclocking (quad especially) I would advise to pay the extra for LT over DK.

I was referring to only two dfi boards here DK vs LT x38 for overclocking .

Main reason I stated LT over DK (x38).....8 phase Digital vs 4 phase cooling nuff said. For someone looking to do heavy overclocking (quad especially) I would advise to pay the extra for LT over DK.

True. But the 4 phase digital PWM found on the DK version of the P35 also has the load spread across a total of 16 MOSFET chips. This equals solid and reliable power, often more so than a 6 or even 8 phase PWM.

- Joey

True. But the 4 phase digital PWM found on the DK version of the P35 also has the load spread across a total of 16 MOSFET chips. This equals solid and reliable power, often more so than a 6 or even 8 phase PWM.

- Joey

The P35 DK (TR2S) is 6 phase. The TR2L (BloodIron) is 4 phase.

The P35 DK (TR2S) is 6 phase. The TR2L (BloodIron) is 4 phase.

According to who? Every review I've managed to read and every forum post I've managed to dig up has it labeled as a 4 phase digital PWM.

Also, according to DFI's own press release, it's a 4 phase...
http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/News/US/arch467.jsp

LANParty DK P35-T2R offers a 4-phrase digital PWM to bring CPU's power supply to perfection.

More information here;
http://www.overclock.net/3370805-post1.html
http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/287202-dfi-lanparty-dk-p35-t2rs-high.html

more to come??...

EDIT:// I guess with "phrase" DFI speaks Engrish...

- Joey

Whats up with ASUS's site? That has to be the slowest website ever, i tried downloading my sound drivers there a while back and it was horrible.

Laughs! yeah i have the same problem. But its with Dfi's web site.

I never get the downloads from the "USA" website, I always get them from the global taiwan website and they come in a lot faster.

if you can afford the UT/LT versions, then yes they are better. especially if you have a quad.

for budget enthusiasts, the DKs are good buys.

still debating between the DK P35 or DK X38.

it's a matter of choice .. either way both p35 and x38 are good

Put my vote on DFI,

DFI boards are usually slow to market but the care and quality show in the end.

it's a matter of choice .. either way both p35 and x38 are good

I just recieved my DK X38 from the egg today. I was swayed by the ability to go with crossfire in the future which wasn't really offered by the P35.

Man.. it kind of makes me wish I had gone for a DFI instead of the ASUS hehe. DFI won me over back when they did great with their 939 LanParty mobo.

Have to agree with some others about the Asus website.. I was kind of lost looking for the drivers at first heh..

I would say DFI over ASUS. Just got a ASUS board for my new system and have not been that impressed with it so far.

Back