ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread

@ Kubsnazx

Your CPU-Temp is very high

New BIOS 0706 for Deluxe is now on the official Download-Site. The BIOS has only 2,56 MBytes, but it works great: After OC @ 4,3 GHz I had no Standby-Bug and no Dual-Boot.

Thanks to ASUS-Techs. TOP JOB!!!

Last edited:
Why did you set Intel SATA in bios to RAID during install?
Are you running RAID?
Why do you have 1394 and bluetooth enabled in bios? Are you using them?
Its just more crap for the bios to deal with.
Where is your DVD drive? On the Marvel?
Should be on Intel port 6

Im running a 64gb Cache drive in iRST, and it seems to use raid 0 on my 2 TB
i have a bluetooth kb and mouse combo too...
1394, well.. i dont really know what that is
my dvd drive is infact on intel sata3 port 6.

@ Kubsnazx

On my BIOS Start-Site CPU-Temp is +82,6 F/ +28,0 C
i5 2500k @ 4,3 GHz (BIOS 0706)

Your CPU-Temp is +147,2 F/ +64,0 C (It's to high IMHO)

Okay someone clue me in because I'm stumped. I have a ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB. I have an SSD and an internal 1.5TB WD hard drive conencted to the SATA III controller. The SSD holds the OS and the WD is for, well storage.

The problem I'm having is with my WD 1.0TB External HD. How the heck do you turn off USB boot on this MB!?!? I've tried everything, but if this USB external HD is connected at boot time the MB refuses to look anywhere BUT the USB connected drive. It always looks for USB devices first before any internal drives and as soon as it sees the external HD connected it looks for a non-existant boot record on it and refuses to look anywhere else. Even after I power down, disconnect the drive, and then reboot my PC doesn't come up. I have to go into the BIOS and point it to the SSD again. It's almost like the external drive is causing the bios to change on its own if it is present at boot up.

If I boot the system up first and then connect the external everything works just fine.

Anyone care to tell me where in the bios I'm missing something? I've even tried to set the bios so it will ONLY look for the SSD as the boot device, but if the external is connected at boot it ignores the setting and attempts to boot via USB.

Pulling my hair out here...

U.M.

@ Kubsnazx

On my BIOS Start-Site CPU-Temp is +82,6 F/ +28,0 C
i5 2500k @ 4,3 GHz (BIOS 0706)

Your CPU-Temp is +147,2 F/ +64,0 C (It's to high IMHO)

any settings i should look at and poke? That you know of;) I seem to be idleing around 40-45 during windows.. Using real temp to monitor

I have bios 501, ive read somewhere that bios upgrades have changed how temps are read, apparently one ver. of bios is meant to run 10deg cooler

Last edited:
any settings i should look at and poke? That you know of;) I seem to be idleing around 40-45 during windows.. Using real temp to monitor

I have bios 501, ive read somewhere that bios upgrades have changed how temps are read, apparently one ver. of bios is meant to run 10deg cooler

Yeah, 40-45 is o.k. :cool:

BIOS 0501 reads tj.max Temps
BIOS 0706 reads tcase Temps

You're right: tj.max Temps are ~10-15 C higher

@ Uncle Meat

Wait until cisco guy is online. He's our BOOT-expert. :)

I'm sure there is a resolution in our BIOS-settings.

I've experienced the same boot reordering issue on my P8Z68.
If the drives are ordered in uefis as: A, B, C connecting D results sometimes D, A, B, C, sometimes A, D. B, C or other depending on what kind of the drive D is (usb, sata, esata) and what port does it use.
I understand that the new drive gets its own hardware address and there are some uefi-hardcoded priority tables and rules (like usb drives first, then intels sata, then Marvel etc)
But what is the point of user defined priorities if hardware does not obey.
User defined boot priority list should be hard linked to physical addresses so adding D should always result in A. B. C. D.
Imagine what kind of mess does current implementation make if you use some boot manager placed on a pendrive to chainload you primary os. And then you're accidentally leaving your second pendrive in one of the usb ports. Most of the hardware pointers to physical drives become shifted and most if not all of your boot menu items becomes f**ked up without warning. And you are booting not that os you wanted (best case scenario).

Okay someone clue me in because I'm stumped. I have a ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MB. I have an SSD and an internal 1.5TB WD hard drive conencted to the SATA III controller. The SSD holds the OS and the WD is for, well storage.

The problem I'm having is with my WD 1.0TB External HD. How the heck do you turn off USB boot on this MB!?!? I've tried everything, but if this USB external HD is connected at boot time the MB refuses to look anywhere BUT the USB connected drive. It always looks for USB devices first before any internal drives and as soon as it sees the external HD connected it looks for a non-existant boot record on it and refuses to look anywhere else. Even after I power down, disconnect the drive, and then reboot my PC doesn't come up. I have to go into the BIOS and point it to the SSD again. It's almost like the external drive is causing the bios to change on its own if it is present at boot up.

If I boot the system up first and then connect the external everything works just fine.

Anyone care to tell me where in the bios I'm missing something? I've even tried to set the bios so it will ONLY look for the SSD as the boot device, but if the external is connected at boot it ignores the setting and attempts to boot via USB.

Pulling my hair out here...

U.M.

In Advanced UEFI BIOS, BOOT section. You can fine tune the boot order. Take a look at it.

so, just disable it wherever it shows on boot page, or HDD BBS priorities. if you are not using it for booting, the bios config is irrelevant, only Win 7 has to see it. Its prob set to winbootmgr

You mentioned SSD. So if you are using SRT, you have to make sure you have advanced selections as proper drives

Last edited:
In Advanced UEFI BIOS, BOOT section. You can fine tune the boot order. Take a look at it.

so, just disable it wherever it shows on boot page, or HDD BBS priorities. if you are not using it for booting, the bios config is irrelevant, only Win 7 has to see it. Its prob set to winbootmgr

You mentioned SSD. So if you are using SRT, you have to make sure you have advanced selections as proper drives

No joy fellas. I can only assume at this point that I'm a complete dumbass and am not understanding what's going on with my boot process.

I am in "advanced" mode in the boot menu of the bios. I have 4 choices for boot devices, they are:

SSD on SATA 1
WD 1.5 Internal on SATA 2
DVD on SATA 3
Windows boot manager

I can't find USB ANYWHERE!

If Windows boot manager is NOT #1 in the boot list the system fails to boot and tells me I need to point it towards a bootable drive or insert a bootable disc.

Even though my SSD is the only bootable device connected, setting it as #1 in the boot list will result in a failed boot. Without Windows boot manager at the top of the list I get nowhere.

Of course connecting the external USB to the PC prior to boot up will cause it to fail everytime regardless of the boot order.

So... please treat me like a 5 year old and draw me a crayon picture of what I'm obviously missing here.

U.M.

Need to know whats in "accelerate" in Intel RST cntrl panel/advanced - if you are running SRT (screenshot)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Intel-Smart-Response-Technology-Explained/1292/3
FWIW all data drives are called out as HDD - USB, SSD, Spinner HDD.
Fat32 USB seen as UEFI GPT HDD

At first glance, you made a GPT drive unknowingly (Win 7 X64?)
GPT O/S drives only boot to winbootmgr, nothing else.
MBR HDD will not.
Your SSD may have detection probs with bios running, then tries to boot next drive and cant.
Are you running 0606?
You CANNOT boot THRU a UEFI GPT drive to an MBR, even if it had a booting O/S.
Similarly, you cant boot THRU non UEFI DVD burner to a UEFI GPT booting drive - only with boot override. A UEFI burner is one with X64 IN it. I see this as a major flaw in the UEFI bios.
But I dont have a crystal ball
JMicron and Marvel on or off in bios?
Type here EXACTLY whats on the following:
Intel ports 1 thru 6 by number
Marrvel Port E1 E2
Need EXACT multi digit model number on external - is it this one?
WDBABV0010BBK-NESN
Format and partitions on External (USB 2 or 3?) NTFS? One big primary?
If there is ANYTHING FAT32 on the external anywhere - like the firmware, it will be seen as GPT but no boot possibility
Then give me 3 screenshots - (F12 with Fat 32 usb stick)
Put in Stick AFTER Booting to bios. AFTER!!!!
Need top and bottom of boot page
Icons only on EZ page

Next:
Cntrl panel/admin tools/computer manage/disk management
Unclick action panel in "view"/customize tab
Screenshot - snip tool?

Then I need you to go to Win 7 cmd prompt (right click admn mode) and type

Diskpart
lis dis
sel dis 0
lis par
sel par 1
det par
sel dis 1
lis par
sel par 1
det par
sel dis 2
lis par
sel par 1
det par

then make screenshot of whole readout (snip tool?)

Upload to tinypic.com and post image LINKS here.
Please answer all, dont leave off 4 things

Last edited:
Need to know whats in "accelerate" in Intel RST cntrl panel/advanced - if you are running SRT (screenshot)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Intel-Smart-Response-Technology-Explained/1292/3
FWIW all data drives are called out as HDD - USB, SSD, Spinner HDD.
Fat32 USB seen as UEFI GPT HDD

At first glance, you made a GPT drive unknowingly (Win 7 X64?)
GPT O/S drives only boot to winbootmgr, nothing else.
MBR HDD will not.
Your SSD may have detection probs with bios running, then tries to boot next drive and cant.
Are you running 0606?
You CANNOT boot THRU a UEFI GPT drive to an MBR, even if it had a booting O/S.
Similarly, you cant boot THRU non UEFI DVD burner to a UEFI GPT booting drive - only with boot override. A UEFI burner is one with X64 IN it. I see this as a major flaw in the UEFI bios.
But I dont have a crystal ball
JMicron and Marvel on or off in bios?
Type here EXACTLY whats on the following:
Intel ports 1 thru 6 by number
Marrvel Port E1 E2
Need EXACT multi digit model number on external - is it this one?
WDBABV0010BBK-NESN
Format and partitions on External (USB 2 or 3?) NTFS? One big primary?
If there is ANYTHING FAT32 on the external anywhere - like the firmware, it will be seen as GPT but no boot possibility
Then give me 3 screenshots - (F12 with Fat 32 usb stick)
Put in Stick AFTER Booting to bios. AFTER!!!!
Need top and bottom of boot page
Icons only on EZ page

Next:
Cntrl panel/admin tools/computer manage/disk management
Unclick action panel in "view"/customize tab
Screenshot - snip tool?

Then I need you to go to Win 7 cmd prompt (right click admn mode) and type

Diskpart
lis dis
sel dis 0
lis par
sel par 1
det par
sel dis 1
lis par
sel par 1
det par
sel dis 2
lis par
sel par 1
det par

then make screenshot of whole readout (snip tool?)

Upload to tinypic.com and post image LINKS here.
Please answer all, dont leave off 4 things

Okay lets take this one step at a time. First off I'm having difficulty locating the "Advanced" settings for RST. When I open the Intel RST app I get this interface/screen with no "Accelerate" menu selection:

I have v10.5.0.1027, do I need to update?

rst.jpg

you are using a 256 gb ssd right.. im assuming you are using a portion for RST cache drive? (or at least attempting to). Your rst screen is missing the accelerate tab, (status/manage/accelerate/preferences/help) To get the accelerate tab, try going to bios/advanced bios/advanced tab/sata configurations and change SATA mode to RAID

Last edited:
@UM

no, that just means you are not using SRT, but ARE using RST
>so that answers my first question
step one done

@cisco guy

No I'm not using SRT. Okay now that the RST question is out of the way we'll move forward. I'll admit I had to look up what a GPT was. When I decided to build this system with an SSD for the O/S I did a lot of reading, but never encountered anything about GPT. So once the system was assembled I threw my Win 7 64-bit disc in the drive, booted from it, and installed Windows right to the SSD. Install went very smooth. From the tone & direction I think you're taking me I'm assuming this was not the right way to do it?

U.M.

nope, when you insert an X64 disk AND BOOT TO IT - two dif DVD burner options appear..............
UEFI GPT (default)
Non UEFI (MBR)

If you do NOT want a GPT disk you MUST pick the non UEFI DVD burner, by dragging and dropping it to first place on EZ page. Hard to believe, but the BIOS can read the disk and tell if its X64 or X86. Peeps like you are putting fresh new drives or wiped drives or drives with all partitions deleted and getting GPT drives with no clue what happened.

I will show you this as we go along step by step.

Cannot happen with X86

I have to admit I do not remember seeing or being prompted to choose between UEFI or non-UEFI when I initially installed the O/S. However it's very possible I was provided with this option and I selected whatever was "default" being as this was the first time I'd ever used and/or installed to an SSD. As far as dragging & dropping the UEFI DVD burner on the EZ page initially after the build... I believe that's exactly what I did...

You can definately count me as one of the "Clueless"! However that's why I decided to build a system myself this time around... It's been 10 years since I built my own rig and I knew there would be new stuff to learn.

I'll gather the rest of the data/info you asked for once I'm home from work and have access to the system again.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

U.M.

you get no option when installing Win 7, its a done deal when whatever DVD mode drive is selected

there is also a gigantic boobytrap during Win 7 X64 install under certain conditions, but I only tell my closest friends how to fix it - lol

347zgom.jpg

Okay now that you've educated me on this what are the drawbacks/disadvantages/benefits of GPT vs MBR in my instance and will I ever be able to leave my external drive connected and get my system to boot (without resorting to a fresh O/S load) or am I just SOL?

U.M.

No problem, like I said we will just disable it from any boot possibility. Um, but I need the info.
You asked for the whole enchilada and you are gonna get it.
Right?

There are only 2 reason for UEFI/GPT now - HDD >2.19TB, graphical interface

2qw0f1j.jpg

amwbjp.jpg

20jfts2.jpg

wqskfo.jpg
21kz6er.jpg

Fwiw: USB Fat32 is GPT (but not USB NTFS) because 100mb efisys with bootmgr.efi and 128mb MSR (hidden) are Fat32, and you could never successfully load Win 7 X64 from a stick to a would be GPT format HDD unless it was in UEFI mode.

Last edited:
No problem, like I said we will just disable it from any boot possibility. Um, but I need the info.
How to disable the drive from any boot possibility in a way that after booting with that drive disconnected from the computer reconnecting it will not result in reappearing in the boot list?
I'm taking especially about usb devices which used to be unplugged/replugged frequently.

@Uncle Meat: Thanks for asking these questions and for providing pics of your progress. I had to look up what a GPT is too, so don't feel bad. :)

@cisco guy: Thanks for taking the time to help out here and answer with pictures and explanations. I'm learning a lot!

Okay sorry it took so long... I think I have all the data requested.

BIOS Version: 0501 X64 I usually don't update a bios unless the update addresses a specific issue I'm having, that's not the case here though is it?

Marvel Controller Disabled
JMicron Enabled

Intel ports:

P1 M4-CT256M4SSD2 (256GB SSD)
P2 WDC WD1502FAEX-007BA0 (1.5TB HDD)
P3 ATAPI iHBS112 2 (Blu-Ray/DVD/CD)
P4 Interfaces to external SATA port
P5 Empty
P6 Empty

External 1TB Western Digital HDD Model # WD10000H1U-00
Drive has 4 equal sized partitions all NTFS
Unsure on whether Firmware is FAT32 though?
*NOTE* The BIOS reports this drive as a WD 10EACS External 1.65 :confused:

Screenshots: Don't ask... :p

bios003.jpg

bios004.jpg

bios005.jpg

diskmgt.jpg

capture1.jpg

capture2.jpg

Thanks again Cisco Guy!

U.M.

Well, you def made your SSD a GPT drive
And that drive as first boot in winbootmgr mode is correct
FWIW if you wish to boot from a disk in your BRD, you can press F8 repeatedly during boot (with fullscreen logo disabled) and pick it (non UEFI mode) - like i said a major flaw in the UEFI bios. Or you can just leave a Win 7 X64 disk in the drive, place it first in order in EZ page, and dont press any key when prompted. You can boot thru UEFI DVD to UEFI HDD.

Your eSATA drive is configured fine, and is MBR, so no prob, but is not recognized by Intel controller, so it doesnt show on boot page to be disabled. This is obviously due to your "P4 interface to eSATA drive". Can you explain that to me? I know on the ASRock mobo they have that SATA/eSATA port dual duty thing, but bios must be specifically coded for that.

I just downloaded and looked thru your mobo manual, see no option to use Intel Port 4 as eSATA. So that is your prob. Its detected and seen by Windows, but not Intel SATA controller at boot ON AN ASUS UEFI BIOS. We NEED to detect it during boot to disable it!

Turn JMIcron on in bios
Install JM drivers (not MS) in Windows - make sure says "this device is working properly" in Dev Man
Go back to bios and turn on JMicrom OPROM
You can leave the OPROM message displaying on or off as you wish
Plug external into rear I/O port 7
Reboot to bios and where you see it in boot page make it disabled
It will never be accessed during boot again
4jswic.jpg

2wp8481.jpg

Also your external is USB 2.0 not 3.0
http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?groupid=110&lang=en

Last edited:
Okay let me explain the P4... I have an external SATA port on the front panel of my PC case. I ran a SATA cable from P4 to this external connector. There's nothing connected to it though. I can remove the cable, but I doubt that will make any difference with the issue I'm currently having.

In the Disk Management screen cap above it's showing my external USB drive even though it was not connected to the PC at the time!?!? Does Windows cache the drive info? I do not have an external SATA interfaced HDD.

The Jmicron drivers are installed already, I just turned the controller off in the bios because I wasn't using it.

U.M.

I cant make heads or tails of what you are saying - turning my brain into jello.
You can take the 1TB drive out of the enclosure and run it as a reg HDD, regular cables, no USB, no enclosure circuit board with its controller, no enclosure drivers and Intel will see it. I see no way of running HDD as eSATA by plugging into Intel P4 port on a V pro

The Z68 chipset does have a single on die eSATA port, but only on mobo that include it.
jikoqd.jpg

ouboya.jpg

Your elements drive is supposed to auto install its drive utilities when plugged in - that happen?

Just do what I said with the JMIcron - prob solved

Last edited:
Okay whether I did it right, or wrong... I took a SATA cable and connected one end of it to P4 and the other end of the cable connects to the back side of this:

bios009.jpg

I did this in case I ever decided to purchase a eSATA drive in the future.

Last, but not least why would I want to take my USB external HDD and dismantle it? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a portable external drive no?

U.M.

Last edited:
I didnt tell you to take apart the external to use as an internal, I just listed the extra external parts to illustrate the differences between them and what it would take to be seen by the Intel controller - none of the USB crappola.. Whatever you did is not working - its not being detected by Intel controller in bios during boot. That you cant argue with.
Right?
You do know the bios reads the HDD/enclosure firmware during boot.
Right?
You maybe could get away with directly plugging an eSATA USB drive in P35 or P45 mobo SATA ports with cabling, but you aint gonna get away with that on a Z68 mobo. In fact you are risking total corruption of data. But its YOUR party.
Also, you totally ignored my JMIcron solution, didnt even mention it other than its installed.
Thats my solution for you anyways.
Other than that, maybe someone else here can advise you
Have a nice day

Last edited:
Ok. I am back. here is my problem. Stability.

My system randomly restart, locks-up. restarts, or BSOD. Could be working fine for 8 hours or just for 2 minutes and then needs me to hard restart. again random. when its working it is rock solid 90% of the time, no issues, then sudden restart. I dont have any OC, Blck is at 100.0. nothing fancy going on my system. Any help or insights would be appreciated. I am on bios 0606.

This has been happening for 5 months and has been consistent across two different MOBO ASUS pro whcih I swapped out. Thoughts please...

Okay whether I did it right, or wrong... I took a SATA cable and connected one end of it to P4 and the other end of the cable connects to the back side of this:

bios009.jpg

I did this in case I ever decided to purchase a eSATA drive in the future.

Last, but not least why would I want to take my USB external HDD and dismantle it? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a portable external drive no?

U.M.
Three solutions:
First: Install any boot manager on WD usb drive and chainload you primary system placed on ssd. That way you can boot from WD and from ssd to the same os effectively.
Second: get rid of any primary partitions on WD usb drive. Only extended with logical volumes. Asus bios used to ignore such drives and not try to boot from them. I'm sure it works for non usb devices (such drives are put down the booting hierarchy automatically) but maybe the same applies to usb. Worth a try.
Third: Place the grub boot manager on usb stick and always boot from it. Default os to boot -> (hd1,0) if that fails chainload (hd2,0) automatically thanks to fallback function. Most probably without usb connected ssd is given hd1 pointer which is shifted to hd2 if usb drive is recognized.
Third most probably will require Two as grub "like" unbootable (non primary) partition for fallback to work correctly.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just ordered a P8Z68-V mobo today and I'm trying to find out if it supports "USB Boot"? I read a guide that shows how to install Win7 from a usb memory stick. It mentions "Needless to say that your motherboard should support USB Boot feature to make use of the bootable USB drive."

I searched the manual and I googled the hell out of it, but maybe I'm wording my question poorly....

Long story short: I want to install Windows from a usb stick. Will I be able to do so with the new mobo?

My system randomly restart, locks-up. restarts, or BSOD....
This has been happening for 5 months and has been consistent across two different MOBO ASUS pro whcih I swapped out. Thoughts please...

Verify that your CPU isn't overheating.

I haven't heard anything directly about the Vertex 2s having the BSOD problems but the Vertex 3s have had a lot of them. Maybe check OCZ to see if there is an updated firmware for your SSD.

If that doesn't help you, try running a MemTest on each stick of your RAM, one at a time (only 1 stick installed while the test runs).

If that doesn't help I'd check the power supply. If there was a problem with the CPU itself, you could have those kinds of lockups too.

Short of a software incompatibility, those are the hardware items that could fail. (Of course this is assuming that your motherboard doesn't have a problem. Since you've already replaced it, I doubt it is the direct source of the problem.)

Out dated video card drivers can cause those oddball lockups too.

Long story short: I want to install Windows from a usb stick. Will I be able to do so with the new mobo?

Yeah, it'll work fine. Just hit F8 when you boot and select the usb drive from that menu.

Verify that your CPU isn't overheating.

I haven't heard anything directly about the Vertex 2s having the BSOD problems but the Vertex 3s have had a lot of them. Maybe check OCZ to see if there is an updated firmware for your SSD.

If that doesn't help you, try running a MemTest on each stick of your RAM, one at a time (only 1 stick installed while the test runs).

If that doesn't help I'd check the power supply. If there was a problem with the CPU itself, you could have those kinds of lockups too.

Short of a software incompatibility, those are the hardware items that could fail. (Of course this is assuming that your motherboard doesn't have a problem. Since you've already replaced it, I doubt it is the direct source of the problem.)

Out dated video card drivers can cause those oddball lockups too.

CPU is at a chilly 39C. All components are new, about 8 months at this point. PSU was replaced by corsair earler. I have run Memtest already no issues.

How would I check the CPU or PSU with having alternative parts to try?

I will look at the GP drivers now.

I feel like it is a compatibility problem with firefox...anyone have thoughts on this. my browser closes and restarts constantly, the lock up also occurs with the browser...

Thoughts?

Back