ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread

FAO Raja.

Hello, I have seen you around on a few forums and it is good to see Asus are taking an active role within the communities.

I have a P8Z68-V Pro and ever since purchase I have been getting an extremely irritating Realtek popup related to jack sensing, I am not the only person to have experienced this as there are numerous posts by other people experiencing the same thing around the internet.

I have personally tried EVERYTHING to try to rectify this even different headphones to no avail, I am aware you can disable the jack sensing but that is more of a workaround than a real fix.

P.S. I also have a Crosshair V and I get a loud static noise from the speakers when shutting down/rebooting Windows.

Are Asus aware of either of these problems and can we expect a fix?

P.P.S. Will there always be a double boot on cold boot when using the 3rd PCI-E slot in 4X mode?

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:
FAO Raja.

Hello, I have seen you around on a few forums and it is good to see Asus are taking an active role within the communities.

I have a P8Z68-V Pro and ever since purchase I have been getting an extremely irritating Realtek popup related to jack sensing, I am not the only person to have experienced this as there are numerous posts by other people experiencing the same thing around the internet.

I have personally tried EVERYTHING to try to rectify this even different headphones to no avail, I am aware you can disable the jack sensing but that is more of a workaround than a real fix.

P.S. I also have a Crosshair V and I get a loud static noise from the speakers when shutting down/rebooting Windows.

Are Asus aware of either of these problems and can we expect a fix?

P.P.S. Will there always be a double boot on cold boot when using the 3rd PCI-E slot in 4X mode?

Regards,
Michael

Hi,

The audio jack pop-up, what devices do you have plugged in on the ports that are showing the messages?

The double-boot with the third slot in that mode is probably a requirement.

I can offer some assistance, but obviously my time is limited so I would suggest you pursue support in your region with these questions.

-Raja

I wonder what is the worst - your case or my case. In my case, the integrated sound card doesn't detect any speakers or headphones at all :D. Had to put a spare X-Fi in the computer so i could have sound on my media center. :rolleyes:

Hi,

The audio jack pop-up, what devices do you have plugged in on the ports that are showing the messages?

I just have headphones plugged into the green socket on the back of the motherboard, it doesn't matter if I choose 'front speakers' or 'headphones' in the Realtek menu I keep on getting this random pop up which basically asks me what I just plugged in to the socket.

I have tried different headphones and it still does it and I have also tested with two different cases ruling out a front header problem.

Somebody posted with the same problem on the Asus forum and there a few other people reporting the same issue from what I've found.

Thank you.

I wonder what is the worst - your case or my case. In my case, the integrated sound card doesn't detect any speakers or headphones at all :D. Had to put a spare X-Fi in the computer so i could have sound on my media center. :rolleyes:

Mine I think, if I had your problem I would have RMA'd it straight away. :p I don't know if my problem is just a bug or hardware fault.

Last edited:
Did you connector the HD Audio connector to the mainboard? And selected Hd Audio in Bios?

Did you connector the HD Audio connector to the mainboard? And selected Hd Audio in Bios?

Yes mate, I am not a noob if that's what you're thinking. :p I am not actually using the front header I just heard someone say somewhere that it might be causing 'feedback interference' or something but I have tried two cases/headers which have no such problems with other boards and the issue persists.

I have had a lot of motherboards in the past (chronic upgrader ;)) but have never experienced anything like this before, I don't know why but the last two boards I've bought P8Z68-V Pro and Crosshair V both seem to have audio probs, on the CHV it's a static noise through the speakers when closing Windows down (which others have also reported).

Hm, I just thought, that if the settings in the bios don't match the connector type, that resuts in wrong jack detection.

I own a p8Z68-v pro I can try the detection for you.

EDIT: as soon as I plug in the headphones to the front audio out, it pop up the box to select the source. then I hit ok ok. And no more pop ups appear until I re-plug the jack.
So I assume you headphones make bad contact somewhere between the jack of your headphones and all the way along the audio wiring to your mainboard pin headers.

Last edited:
Hm, I just thought, that if the settings in the bios don't match the connector type, that resuts in wrong jack detection.

Yeah I see what you mean but I'm using HD connector and HD is set by default in the BIOS, I've not touched anything AC'97 in years. :p

So I assume you headphones make bad contact somewhere between the jack of your headphones and all the way along the audio wiring to your mainboard pin headers.

:( Well I've tried two different headphones so it's starting to sound like motherboard but I was hoping it might be a bios bug or something like that as a few others are reporting the same problem. I would have thought hardware problems with onboard sound would be few and far between these days.

Do you have a mic plugged in as well?

I have the same exact board. This is the scenario with my board. I just found out last week that if I had my mic plugged in, I would get those random pop ups. With no mic, everything works as it should. I have since bought a Logitech G35 (USB connection) to use since it was on sale the past few weeks and only use the Realtek audio with my monitor (Asus VH236H) speakers with no random popups from the jack sensing.

Do you have a mic plugged in as well?

I have the same exact board. This is the scenario with my board. I just found out last week that if I had my mic plugged in, I would get those random pop ups. With no mic, everything works as it should. I have since bought a Logitech G35 (USB connection) to use since it was on sale the past few weeks and only use the Realtek audio with my monitor (Asus VH236H) speakers with no random popups from the jack sensing.

All that I have ever had plugged in is headphones in the rear green slot.

In addition this has occured with both a 2600k & Pentium G840, different RAM, different PSU, Intel and ATI GPU and I tried with some ipod headphones just to rule out my Sennheiser headphones.

I guess I've scared Raja off :p but do you all think it's electrical fault then? I'm at my wits end with it. :(

Last edited:
Hey, quick question:

My friend has three displays (two monitors, one LCD tv); his current setup has a 560ti and a Gigabyte board that has faulty memory slots. So I'm wondering if it's possible for him to get a P8Z68-v Pro to use the on-board video for his LCD tv and hook up the dual monitors to his GPU for a three display setup?

edit - meant to say onboard video, not audio.

Last edited:
Do you want to have only audio on the tv?
Of course you can attach the 2 monitors to the 560ti

I don't know if the TV has a toslink optical digital input jack, but you can use an y-cable from 3,5mm to stereo RCA/cinch to connect to the video input of the tv (yellow, red, withe)

Do you want to have only audio on the tv?
Of course you can attach the 2 monitors to the 560ti

I don't know if the TV has a toslink optical digital input jack, but you can use an y-cable from 3,5mm to stereo RCA/cinch to connect to the video input of the tv (yellow, red, withe)

Oh man, sorry, I meant on-board video lol.

Folks:

From what I can understand the difference between P8Z68 V and P8Z68 V PRO is the extra ports which the PRO version has (Firewire and 6GB Sata). From the point of view of the core motherboard construction and power supply control, they are the same (i.e. for overclocking purposes). I think the extra ports have separate controllers chips in the PRO while the non-Pro version does not have these extra chips.

For some weird reason, when you try to compare these two motherboards on the Asus web-site the column for the non PRO version does not have any information.

That happens for me too in the German Asus website.
The column for the Pro is empty.
As far as I can see, the non Pro is missing the 2 extra SATA connectors.

Issue here, resolution request.....

2 HDDs one is (see below) hitachi, other is wd black. I want to monitor my WD, but as it is raid config/iRST/SSD etc, i cannot seem to access the drive in its natural state, all monitoring software wont recognise it..

Any ideas how to alleviate this one?

The reason i want to sort this is because my hdd is shutting down or, going to sleep or something. If i leave the pc for a small time, half hour or so, and come back and open a movie dir. It will pause, drive will spin up, and carry on as normal

Wouldn't it be better to raise the hdd shutdown limit or disable it?
Just change the value in your energy plan.

Hey all, I've made some progress in my Realtek dialogue box popup problems, unfortunately it looks to me like RMA is needed. :(

I've noticed that there is a very faint electrical noise that is made through my headphones during activity... like when you scroll a webpage, highlight text or simply make a selection rectangle on the desktop, it's like CPU activity is bleeding through into the audio output and I think this is causing the Realtek drivers to think that I've plugged a device into the front headphone jack, because when the Realtek dialogue box pops up that is always the port which is blinking.

Anyone know who do I contact about an RMA to Asus in the UK? I'm reluctant to go back to the retailer because in all likelihood they will stick a CPU in it, boot Windows and send it straight back with a £25 charge. :(

P8Z68-V Pro, bios 6060. Does speedstep not work when overclocked? Mine sits at 4.5ghz even though I have it enabled.

P8Z68-V Pro, bios 6060. Does speedstep not work when overclocked? Mine sits at 4.5ghz even though I have it enabled.

Check Power Options in Windows. Make sure that under Processor power management that Minimum processor state is set to 5%.

---------------------------

On a side note, Asus released a couple of BIOSes today for the P8Z68-V (0706) and P8Z68-V Pro (0706).

Thanks, updated ok .. mouse (mx5500) feels better there (as in BIOS), it used to feel slightly laggy and at times when you started moving it, it actually changed the screen - now it doesn't. No orom or intel me updates as far as I can see .. but updates are always nice to receive.

Last edited:
So I got the computer together and everything posted fine, although I wasn\t able to access the BIOS after startup, so I just went straight into installing windows. After DL\ing some drives I found that the BIOS appears on a friends computer monitor, but I can\t access when I connect it to my 1080p TV via HDMI. I have all the drivers AFIK and I still cant see them, it just goes to a black screen. Also, we hooked up the previous monitor via DVI. Just curious thanks.

Wow, and now i just BSOD'd while watching a youtube video....
I have no idea how to diagnose this. Help!

Also, here are the details that windows gives after the crash

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050031
BCP3: 00000000000406F8
BCP4: FFFFF80001C4B05F
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\092311-10389-01.dmp
C:\Users\Pierce\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-18813-0.sysdata.xml

Also, here are the details that windows gives after the crash

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050031
BCP3: 00000000000406F8
BCP4: FFFFF80001C4B05F
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\092311-10389-01.dmp
C:\Users\Pierce\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-18813-0.sysdata.xml

I should also mention im on a Asus Z68 V with a Toxic 6950

Might be worth listing a complete parts list, together with software and hardware configuration in order for someone to help/make suggestions.

Windows power managment is set right. I think the problem is that I set the cpu vcore using manual mode instead of offset mode from stock vcore.
edit: speedstep wont drop the multiplier at all even at stock settings and it set :/

Another problem is I can't install ANY of the asus utilities in windows 7 64bit :(

Check Power Options in Windows. Make sure that under Processor power management that Minimum processor state is set to 5%.

---------------------------

On a side note, Asus released a couple of BIOSes today for the P8Z68-V (0706) and P8Z68-V Pro (0706).

Last edited:
I think I fixed it. It was either caused my CPU-Z, GPUZ, or zonealarm firewall that I downloaded.

Raja@ASUS
why Asus motherboard bios does not support charging through USB when PC is off???

I'm still having Dual boot cold bug issues and now they have migrated over to soft system restarts as well after I update to the new 0706 bios. Any help would be much appreciated. I've noticed the dual boot issue go away when using the iGPU as the primary card w/ virtu. But when PCIE is selected as the primary and virtu is enabled/disabled the problem reappears.

P8Z68 V-Pro

Bios Settings:

Xmp Profile 1 Enabled
Bclk 100.0
Per core – 47
Internal PLL overvoltage Enabled
Memory Feq.. DDR-3 1600
Load line Ultra High
VRM Freq – Manual, 350
Phase control Extreme
Duty control Extreme
CPU Current Capability 120%
CPU Man Voltage 1.38
DRAM Voltage 1.50
````````````````````````````````````````````````````
CPU Spread Spectrum Enabled
F1 Error Disabled
Post Report 1 second
Option ROM Keep current
1394 Controller Disabled
Marvell Controller Disabled
JMB Controller Disabled
Intel PXE Oprom Disabled

Hey, I have this weird issue with my Asus z68 v pro and 2600k. The bios settings are locked at 103 x 43 from probably oc tuner or asus turboevo. Whenever I try to load default settings and saving it, it will restart but the settings don't change and stays in 103 x 43. I double checked this by cpuid and going in to the bios. Everytime it I try to change the bios settings to default it stays the same. I was running fine on bios 0501 then I upgraded to 0706. I used the asus turboevo and it tuned it to 103 x 43 (maybe) and it worked. But when I load optimized defaults in the bios, it won't work. I have a few theories about this.
  • The CPU is locked at 103 x 43
  • After loading default settings and saving it, it will restart and the motherboard will o/c it back to 103 x 43
  • The asus software in Windows 7 o/c's it back to 103 x 43 on load up
  • The default settings are on 103 x 43 (weird although it shows target tune of 3800mhz and 1600mhz for ram when I load optimized defaults).
I checked the speed with cpuid and in the bios. Always stays the same. I reset the battery and cleared cmos. I can't seem to get it back to default settings. The current speed doesn't seem to be that stable compared to default settings. I get lots of crashed programs. I just want to load it back to default settings and tune it to 4.4ghz manually with a low vcore. The auto tune makes the cpu slightly hotter and I would like to try a manual tune. I even tried manual tune settings with 100 x 44 and saved it but it goes back to 103 x 43. Is this a bios problem or something that I am not doing correctly? Will downgrading or reflashing the bios work? I am using G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 8gb ram. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Disable AI Suite from starting via task scheduler to make sure that's not doing it and then check that neither TPU or EPU switches are enabled on the mobo.

Hey, I disabled AI Suite and I can confirm it's not that. I just tried loading optimized defaults again and save changes and reset. It restarts turns on for a little while, then turns off and turns on for a little while again, and turns off and turns on into windows. It restarted twice so it seems like it's the motherboard bios putting it into o/c again. Is the motherboard unable to run it at default settings that's why it restarted twice to find a setting that works such as the 103 x 43? This is awkward. Hopefully I can fix this and never touch the BIOS again unless it's an easy way to o/c to 4.4ghz manually. All settings checked in Cpuid. I may have to downgrade but that is a big risk considering my BIOS is acting weird. TPU and EPU switches are disabled. I just set the bios auto tune to manual hoping that it won't auto tune at startup. Saved changes, restarted, loads for a while, then restarts and goes in to Windows 7 with still 103 x 43. It restarted once so it's doing something still. I'm on 0706 by the way. I really want to reflash the bios but I know there is a better way than that. Just tried to set it at 100 x 34 to get the 2600k to run at it's original 3.4ghz. The settings will not go lower than 35. I set it at 34 and it changes to 35??? And when I load optimized defaults it says Target Turbo Mode: 3800mhz cpu and 1600mhz ram. Shouldn't it be 3400mhz? So, bios is setting it to 3800mhz and starting it up at some auto settings, can't run at 3.8ghz and sets it to 103 x 43? Not really sure what is going on here. Is the cpu locked? I tried 100 x 46 too but it does the same thing and revert back to 103 x 43. It seems like it is stuck in turbo mode and I can't turn it off or the default settings are wrong.

Cpuid screenshot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/103x43.png/

Update: I cleared the cmos again. Pressed f1 to load bios settings. It booted up at 3.4ghz like it should. I dIdn't touch any settings, saved it and restarted. Loaded up in Windows still 103 x 43. I can now say with some certainty that my motherboard is stuck in turbo o/c mode, cpu is locked at 103 x 43, or the default settings is making it run at 103 x 43. Damn, I don't want to take everything apart and have my retailer test everything. They have to test it before they'll replace my parts either cpu, motherboard, or ram. This is the weirdest thing for a motherboard to do if it is. Actually I think the motherboard or cpu is stuck in 103 x 43. I can't even set it lower than 4.4ghz.

Update 2: Reassembled PC and back to normal.

Last edited:
Back