Asus max formula cpu support list

brhinton89

Limp Gawd
I recently bought the Asus Formula Maximus II and I was gonna upgrade my E6400 to a q9550 on friday Jan 9th. On the net awhile ago and read that the motherboard didnt support newer cpu's like the Q8xxx series. In my user guide it say it supports cpu's with a fsb of 1600/1333/1066/800. My bios date on my board is 07/21/08. Do i need to update my bios just in case? I'm not comfortable updating bios because i feel i will brick the damn thing and i now live in a small town and the few shops that are around here wont even touch the bios. Went to a guys shop the other day and he said "Why would you want to mess with the bios? I told him some mobo's are more stable if you update the bios.He just looked at me and asked a few more questions and said " You know more about this computer stuff than i do." I laughed my ass off! But anyway will i need a bios update for a q9550 or q9300? Thx in advance guys. :)

The Maximus II Formula supports, quite literally, every single LGA775 Core 2-based CPU in existence. It will work fine with a Q9550.

You might need a bios update for a Q8XXX, but a Q9XXX should be fine.

Thx. i'm trying to decide between a q9300 or a q9550.I may go ahead with the q9550 because i will keep my current rig for bout 2 yrs.

If you overclock, I'm not sure you'd notice a big difference anywhere other than your bank account.

The E0 chips have been out for a while. Anyway, it should work fine without an update, but you might have to update it to properly recognize the CPU. Try it without updating if you're really nervous about doing it, and if the board doesn't boot, then post here and we'll walk you through the procedure. With ASUS boards though, it's really easy to update the BIOS. They use a utility called EZ Flash that makes it very simple.

The only reason i want the q9550 is for the 12mb of L2 cache, is it worth buying over the q9300?

If you won't be overclocking, then not really. The major benefit of the Q9550 over the Q9300 is the higher multiplier which allows it to reach much higher speeds while overclocking.

If you won't be overclocking, then not really. The major benefit of the Q9550 over the Q9300 is the higher multiplier which allows it to reach much higher speeds while overclocking.

Thx ALOT for making this an easy choice! Q9300 FTW! I overclock a lil through the "CPU Level Up" feature but nothing major.This will give me a excuse to upgrade again in 2010 for NOT going with a better cpu now. THX again Zero82z!

Thx ALOT for making this an easy choice! Q9300 FTW! I overclock a lil through the "CPU Level Up" feature but nothing major.This will give me a excuse to upgrade again in 2010 for NOT going with a better cpu now. THX again Zero82z!

You're very welcome :).

Back