Asus Laptops?

Crighton

Limp Gawd
ok I just bought one and looked at the reviews. They look pretty good but I was wondering what your opinion on them were. I bought : G60VX-RBBX05 it has a core 2 duo 4 gigs of ram windows 7 home premium Nvida GTX 260m vid card. I have never owned an Asus laptop before and was wondering if there were any typical points of failure that I should be care to watch out for.

I originally was going to buy from new egg and get the g51 series. I saw this one at best buy for the less money and it looked identical to the 51 except it had the 16 inch screen instead of the 15.6 and it was 100 cheaper. I didn't notice it until I got home that the res was no where close to the one I was looking at on Newegg, but once I scaled the icons down to something less that the original fisher-price looking things that are the standard size I really don't seem to care that the res is so low. I can still watch DVDs in 720p and I am not sure what the HDMI output is but if it does go up to 1080p this thing seem more than worth it.

Ahhh I just posted a simular question about the G72. I am about to pull the trigger also.

I own this laptop, but have upgraded some parts (see signature). The HDMI is good for connecting it to a TV or receiver and it can output both audio and video at 1080p, Though, you must set the display settings in nvidia ctrl panel for lcd tv only in order to get 1080. Unless you have a blu ray player you won't get 1080p for movies.

I also did a fan mod, which I cut-out the bottom fake fan port and added a fan grill.

Below link and forum would be a better place for laptop info then [ H ] (no offence to [ H ] )

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=427786

I own a G50VT from last year. I've had it for 8 months and I love it. No failures thus far and it performs very well.

To comment on Crimson's mention of the fake fan grill... the giant circular mesh at the bottom that looks like it could cool a desktop is actually blocked. I'm not sure what the point of it is if it's blocked and what implications of opening it up would be. I imagine a fair amount of dust would get in, but of course more air flow as well.

I've owned an Asus G50Vt for about 9 months so far. After about 3 1/2 months however I was forced to contact customer support and return mine for repairs as I got about 100-200 dead pixels on the display.

Their customer support was great though, at least here in Norway. I called them up and the guy at the other end asked if i was able to e-mail him a picture of the damage, which I did. Later that day he called me back up and told me he had sent me some postal stickers and information about where to ship it. I packed up the laptop, stuck the stickers on the box and shipped it. Less than three weeks later the laptop was waiting for me at the postal office.

So far that's the only problem I've had with my G50Vt except for its massive weight, though I was aware of that before I bought it. Still annoys me enough to consider buying an Eee netbook to bring to school.

If you're a gamer the G-series is a great gaming laptop at least, unless you want to spend that little extra and perhaps get an Alienware. So I've got no reasons to tell you why to not buy an Asus.

Ive had my Asus G50vt for a year now, and it has not failed me once, rock solid. Ive even dropped it once, and nothing happened. Super Fast, upgraded to windows 7, not one problem yet! <3 Asus! :D

Asus have always been sold for me. Mine is still chugging along after 4 years.

My Asus G2K-A1 gaming laptop is still going strong on 4th year of purchase. Windows 7 runs flawless. The only nag is that anything less than native resolution (1920x1080) is NOT FULL SCREEN (in Windows 7). Any Asus user knows how to fix this? :confused:

Last edited:
I bought the top end Asus G72 for the wife a couple months ago. I liked it so much i went an bought myself one last night at Best Buy.

First, I came home with this... G60VX-RBBX05

then 15 mins later I drove back and changed it for this.. G60VX-RBBX09

the faster cpu, more hard drive, and larger battery convinced me. I wanted it to last me for a good 2-3 years.

Best Buy showed outlet only, none in stock at any store. I was super stoked when i found the X09 model sitting next to the other G60s..

Back