Asus Laptop Question

JC724

Weaksauce
I have been looking to buy a good gaming laptop and I have decided on an ASUS laptop.

I do have a few questions though, hopefully someone here can answer them. I might be confusing myself lol.

1: Is there a difference between ASUS Scar 2 and ASUS ROG Strix Scar 2?

2: There seem to be a lot of different types, between ASUS Scar series, ASUS Heroe Series, ASUS Strix Series, Asus zephyrus etc.

Like I have noticed on Amazon, there is an Asus Strix Scar 2 and Asus Strix Scar 3, but there is also an Asus Strix G17.

I am just trying to get an understanding of the hierarchy here on which series is the newer series or higher end(based off performance on average).

I am sure there are cases where it makes more since to buy a Scar 2 over a Scar 3 but I am trying to get a better understanding of Asus gaming laptops.

3. Question is honestly more to do with hard drives. I could post this in another forum but I feel like it is simple enough to post here.

I know SSD is better then HDD. Or at least I think it is.

I just noticed in my searching, I have been seeing different version SSD. I see PCIe SSD and NVMe SSD. Just curious about which one is better and the core difference?

If no one knows, that is fine, I can post that in another forum.

PCIe and NVMe are essentially the same thing with regard to consumer m.2 SSD's. PCIe is the interface used to connect the drive to the system (vs SATA), NVMe is the protocol used by the OS to talk to the drive (vs AHCI). There is an AHCI option for PCIe SSD's, but I've never see one in consumer laptops.

for the most part, ignore the naming and look at the specs. Which has the better CPU, GPU, warranty, looks, etc for the money you’re willing to pay.

Last edited:
I have been looking to buy a good gaming laptop and I have decided on an ASUS laptop.

I do have a few questions though, hopefully someone here can answer them. I might be confusing myself lol.

1: Is there a difference between ASUS Scar 2 and ASUS ROG Strix Scar 2?

2: There seem to be a lot of different types, between ASUS Scar series, ASUS Heroe Series, ASUS Strix Series, Asus zephyrus etc.

Like I have noticed on Amazon, there is an Asus Strix Scar 2 and Asus Strix Scar 3, but there is also an Asus Strix G17.

I am just trying to get an understanding of the hierarchy here on which series is the newer series or higher end(based off performance on average).

I am sure there are cases where it makes more since to buy a Scar 2 over a Scar 3 but I am trying to get a better understanding of Asus gaming laptops.

3. Question is honestly more to do with hard drives. I could post this in another forum but I feel like it is simple enough to post here.

I know SSD is better then HDD. Or at least I think it is.

I just noticed in my searching, I have been seeing different version SSD. I see PCIe SSD and NVMe SSD. Just curious about which one is better and the core difference?

If no one knows, that is fine, I can post that in another forum.

As someone who's working on a Scar 2 now and had a Zephyrus 14...

1. No difference between those two designations/models. Asus ROG Strix Scar 2 is the full name

2. The Scar and Hero series are all similar, come in the same general size laptop case and design, just with some different markings, lighting and specs. There are several different types of the Zephyrus (it's quite confusing): the model with the keyboard pushed to the front (which comes in a 15 and 17 version), the one with a more standard Macbook-like design (which comes in a 14" version), and the Duo with the smaller extra screen. The Scar 2 is probably the best price/performance model if you can still find one. The Scar 3 just gives you more exterior lighting and a slightly faster display. The Scar 2 and Heros are notorious for producing coil whine, unfortunately, although there are ways to fix this (check Asus forums).

3. The Zephryus is Asus' sleeker laptop line. They're thinner, lighter, and in my view, look slicker than the Scar or Heros. The Scar and Heros, however, are generally more expandable and come with full-power GPUs e.g. the 2060 power-limited "Max-Q" GPU will run around 20% slower than a full 2060 in a Scar 3. If you need something portable, go with a Zephyrus; if you want faster graphics, go Scar or Hero

4. Agreed on Ryan_975's response on PCIe and NVMe SSD

The laptops are named in a different way because they are different from each other.
I agree, most laptop makers should use a unique naming system for their laptops but for the time being, this is out of the question.

Do not focus on the name of the laptop instead focus on the specifications of each laptop. Make a decision based on the hardware features you want on your laptop.

Back