ASUS is my friend

roftranspo

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2006
Ok...to be honest....i dont get the option to buy new computer parts often (SWMBO)....so trying overclocking has scared the crap out of me cuz i didnt want to mess anything up (plus im lazy)....but with my new ASUS K8N-E mb i can just set like 1% overclock on my AMD 3400+ and not have to worry about :) why didnt anyone figure this out before :) So thanks to ASUS....more folding power :D

roftranspo said:
Ok...to be honest....i dont get the option to buy new computer parts often (SWMBO)....so trying overclocking has scared the crap out of me cuz i didnt want to mess anything up (plus im lazy)....but with my new ASUS K8N-E mb i can just set like 1% overclock on my AMD 3400+ and not have to worry about :) why didnt anyone figure this out before :) So thanks to ASUS....more folding power :D

yeah, but seriously, 1% more? d00d, you wimp...

and since when did you have a SWMBO?

i have had one for like 4-5 years...and no pics for you marty...i dont even want to think about what you would do with it :p

roftranspo said:
i have had one for like 4-5 years...and no pics for you marty...i dont even want to think about what you would do with it :p

dude, i thought you were like 18-19...my b yo, my b...

rayman2k2 said:
dude, i thought you were like 18-19...my b yo, my b...
its ok...and yea....when it comes to overclocking and possibly destroying my system...i am a wimp...i will admit to that :p

I saw some tasty deals on newegg yesterday, 2.4GHz AMD s754 for $100 shipped with free mobo with integrated graphics. Diskless shitstorm anyone?

mwarps said:
I saw some tasty deals on newegg yesterday, 2.4GHz AMD s754 for $100 shipped with free mobo with integrated graphics. Diskless shitstorm anyone?
NOW they go on sale :)....too bad those MB's are crap though...the biostar one is the reason i needed to buy new hardware in the first place.

mwarps said:

Yeah I bit on that. Teehee

Blitzrommel said:
Yeah I bit on that. Teehee
i hope you didnt bite on the biostar...it only lasted like 6 months folding for me and the onboard nic sucks

roftranspo said:

I'm running an ASUS K8N (plain), and it seems to only have the 1%, 2%, 5% and 10% OC options. I gradually worked my Semperon 3200+ up to 10% and have had no problem. This mb bios doesn't seem to have the kind of tweaks I'm used to, but it's working well and giving me pretty good ppd on most proteins.

Celerator said:
I'm running an ASUS K8N (plain), and it seems to only have the 1%, 2%, 5% and 10% OC options. I gradually worked my Semperon 3200+ up to 10% and have had no problem. This mb bios doesn't seem to have the kind of tweaks I'm used to, but it's working well and giving me pretty good ppd on most proteins.

thats good to know...and gives me some courage to try it out ;)

roftranspo said:
i hope you didnt bite on the biostar...it only lasted like 6 months folding for me and the onboard nic sucks
Thanks for the warning, I was really considering that.

Saved by the nooblets! :p

Okay..I'll be the geek..

The Asus AutoOC thing isn't used much because it feeds way too much voltage for the amount of MHz you gained. Go get CPU-Z and check your voltage now and see how much they added (subtract the voltage now from your stock voltage :p) and then check the FSB and see how many MHz you gained. My feeling is that you can probably do the extra MHz you have now on stock voltage.

Now, you wonder what's bad about voltage? Voltage is the stuff that kills components and it adds heat...usually you try to use as little voltage as possible while maintaining a high overclock. If you do it yourself, you'll net better gains than the Asus thing and you should be able to keep your voltages, and therefore temperatures, down.

Also, in this day and age, nothing really gets destroyed by overclocking. Chips have auto shutdown features that will trip and if you overclock too far, you'll probably just end up with a blank screen. Just reset the cmos and then start over from the last stable setup.

kaleb_zero said:
Now now, Viper - everyone starts somewhere. He's never OC'd before, so this mobo is like training wheels for him.

exaclty :)
and thanks for the heads up...i will have to check that out about the voltage.

Back