Asus GTX570 CUII in SLI, will it work?

PHOBOS-82

Limp Gawd
I'm looking at getting the Asus P67 Sabertooth and the Asus GTX570

I have been told the normal one with the nVidia cooler can only be found in limited numbers as they have stopped making it and instead are only making the one with their own cooler. And it's only a bit more expensive.

http://za.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX570_DCII2DIS1280MD5/
Has a 3 slot cooler and will run fine on the P67 Sabertooth.

But if I want to run a 2nd card in SLI, I will need to get a case with 8 expansions slots (instead of the normal7) as the 2nd card will go just past the end of the board.
But thats no a big problem, i don't think.

I have never had SLI and can only guess this will work fine.
Because the cards are 3 slot they will end up being quiet close.
Will that cause any issues?
Does anyone see any problems?

Last edited:
Should be fine, but make sure you have a long SLI connector.

They also might run hotter being that close to each other but again, unless you're trying to overclock that shouldn't be a problem.

Since these 3 slot cards are so close together in SLI many people who try to SLI the CUIIs ends up with issues with the top card getting hot, from posts I've seen it can be about a 20 degree difference.

No matter how good the air cooler, air flow will impeded that close. My top card has ventured into the 90c range never artifacted yet thank god.. playing many high end games like metro2033 - bf3 etc maxed out still makes me worry about that top card. I have a low rpm 120mm fan inside the front of my case that blows air gently on my cards & a spot fan too. You could browse at a Cooler Master HAF X case awesome airflow. Or lian Li case's aren't so bad, cheaper but most the have Pci Locking clamps for heavy gpus. If I were you I would stick with that board & get 2, 'two-slot' style cards to be safe, as i'm regretting a bit on the lack of airflow

I have a low rpm 120mm fan inside the front of my case that blows air gently on my cards & a spot fan too.

I would consider getting a front fan with better airflow. In my Antec 900, turning the fan that blows directly over the cards from low to high caused something like a 10C+ temperature drop at idle, and the GPU fans hardly ramp up anymore at full load, so I'm guessing the difference is at least as significant there. I have 2-slot cards, but I imagine the concept would be the same for 3-slot cards as well.

You could always mix it up & have GTX 570 Twin Frozr "II or III version" <--or just those. as the top card & the ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II for the bottom. As far as i can tell the directCU II would be fine with a standard 570 in sli the main specs cores/bus are the same. That motherboard should come with an extra long sli cable. When I bought my board new it was included.

I would consider getting a front fan with better airflow. In my Antec 900, turning the fan that blows directly over the cards from low to high caused something like a 10C+ temperature drop at idle, and the GPU fans hardly ramp up anymore at full load, so I'm guessing the difference is at least as significant there. I have 2-slot cards, but I imagine the concept would be the same for 3-slot cards as well.

Yeah that's about the temp drop i got too, it gets a little dustier & sucks cleaning every few months but it works

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.
Will try get cards with stock, or 2 slot coolers.
I build my PC's for long term and don't like upgrading often, which is why I still have a Q6600.
The only reason I have GTX260 is because it was a warranty swap for the 8800Ultra that died.
My point is, I'm hoping the P67 Sabertooth with i5 2500K and 2 GTX570's gives me at least 3 good gaming years.

My only concern is that I maybe get 1 card and then when the GeForce GTX 600 series comes out get 1 or 2 of those?

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.
Will try get cards with stock, or 2 slot coolers.
I build my PC's for long term and don't like upgrading often, which is why I still have a Q6600.
The only reason I have GTX260 is because it was a warranty swap for the 8800Ultra that died.
My point is, I'm hoping the P67 Sabertooth with i5 2500K and 2 GTX570's gives me at least 3 good gaming years.

My only concern is that I maybe get 1 card and then when the GeForce GTX 600 series comes out get 1 or 2 of those?

Cool, glad you came to the right conclusion. I was reading through the thread about to reply that by using the DCU II cards in SLI you are actually negating what they are good for. They are exceptional cards and run very stable and cool alone, but when you run 2 in SLi or crossfire (as some AMD cards have the DCU II cooler from asus) the cards actually run warmer than the reference card. Mostly the top card runs hotter but that causes your case ambient temperature to rise and thus you have a space heater.

Excellent solution for single card, horrible solution for multi card.

Back