ASUS GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini

@techboydino
thanks for update
sounds good for me, order already placed, have to prepare my case for mode
temps by 70-80C, well it's not cold, but quite, accepted
best regards from vienna

Backplate on a reference 980 is plastic too, it's generally only watercooling backplates that are metal (and even then, only a few actually have thermal contact with all the hot parts).

@techboydino, to embed dropbox images you have to change the www to dl

Code:
https://[COLOR="Red"]www[/COLOR].dropbox.com/s/3vx7rv87al2veqb/970bench1.jpg?dl=0

Code:
https://[COLOR="Red"]dl[/COLOR].dropbox.com/s/3vx7rv87al2veqb/970bench1.jpg?dl=0

Yep, I'm definitely interested in hearing about the Asus 970 DirectCU Mini's noise - especially if there's any coil whine as I'm planning on building a custom/semi-open case. The other card I'm looking into (and trying to figure out noise on is the Galax GTX 970 OC, which will fit, is cheaper, and clocked higher).

Backplate on a reference 980 is plastic too, it's generally only watercooling backplates that are metal (and even then, only a few actually have thermal contact with all the hot parts).
No, the reference backplate is definitely metal.

!!

You guys are totally right, mea culpa. I didn't believe it but just went upstairs to check and it does feel rough, like sandblasted aluminium. Memory plays tricks, I'm sure when I took it off it was plastic :eek:

Long-time lurker. First Post.

Just wanted to comment on the Asus GTX 970 ITX and fitting it in a Silverstone SG05.

I put together the SG05 last year and used an MSI 760 ITX. This is also a tall card like the Asus 970 and it fits fine with the top drive bay intact... with a small modification for the 8-pin connector. I basically removed the white plastic collar already present in the drive tray and trimmed a little bit of the metal so that the 8-pin connector can go straight through the tray and connect to the card. Not sure if this will work with HDs mounted in the tray, but it is fine with a BD Burner installed.

Since this is my 1st post, I doubt I can attach images, so I'll just lay down some system basics and a Heaven 4.0 benchmark settings and results with temps, fan speed, and noise.

System components.

Case - Silverstone SG05
Motherboard - Asus Maximus VI Impact
PSU - 450 watt Silverstone modular
CPU - Intel Core i7-4770k
RAM - 2x 8GB Mushkin Red DDR3-1866
Cooling - Enermax LiqTech 120x ( single fan )
HD - 2x 750GB WD Scorpio Black
Burner - LG BT30N slim Blu-ray.
GPU - Asus GTX 970 ITX

Heaven 4.0 ( 3 run average )
API - DirectX 11
Quality - Ultra
Tessellation - Extreme
Anti-Aliasing - 8x
Resolution - 1920 x 1080
No CPU overclock

53.4 FPS, Score 1346
High temp 65°C
Fan peak - 87% 3316 RPM 53dB at 1 meter
System power usage - 200 watts +- 3 watts

I'm happy. 30 watts less than the GTX 760 that scored 30.6 FPS and a 770.

Last edited:
thanks for the added info, jevans!

That's actually a great idea for a modification to get around the cables all bunching up by where the 2.5" HDD's cables would run. I might have to try that in my SG05!

thanks for the added info, jevans!

That's actually a great idea for a modification to get around the cables all bunching up by where the 2.5" HDD's cables would run. I might have to try that in my SG05!

I know it is kind-of hard to describe without pictures, but I took some black modder's mesh and bent it so that I could secure them to the front of the case and between the video card. Attached to the inner case frame with two screws and vibration dampening washers. The cage flexes a little bit, which made it a 2 minute job to swap out video card. I pointed the drive's connectors down so that I could run the cabling under the radiator/fan assembly and right angle to the drives. I did modify the cable a little bit so that I could reduce the space between the two HD connectors and shorten the cable. I had the TechFlex and shrink tubing on hand for that fix. Purely cosmetic

Neat setup. Is the heat exhaust from the fan side of the card very warm? Wondering if the position of the HD there might be a problem.

Neat setup. Is the heat exhaust from the fan side of the card very warm? Wondering if the position of the HD there might be a problem.

I can only tell you what HWMonitor reports. I keep my home thermostat set to 21°C ( 68F ) but it is probably a little warmer where the computers are.

When running the Heaven 4.0 benchmark there is quite a bit of heat pouring out the back of the video card. After 10 minutes running the benchmark...

HD1 min = 27°C ( 80F ), max = 30°C ( 86F )
HD2 min = 28°C ( 82F ), max = 31°C ( 87F )

I can hardly feel any heat coming from the side where the HD cage is.

CPU min/max
Core 0 - 25C/44C
Core 1 - 24C/43C
Core 2 - 21C/40C
Core 3 - 24C/36C
Package - 26C/44C

I have the radiator fan running at a flat 1000 RPM all the time.

The GTX 970 temps and fan RPM are unchanged from my original post.

Hope this helps.

Back