Asus first generation nforce 2 not stable with 200 mhz FSB

Suicidal Insanity

Limp Gawd
I have a first revision nforce 2 delux from asus, with pc400 memory and an XP 2100. the chip alone runs stable @ 200 mhz FSB, the ram however fails, both only ram @ 200mhz and ram + cpu @ 200mhz. Ram is geil cl 2.5, previously also tried twinmos which also failed.

Well, the A7N8X doesn't have the support from the chipset for 400MHz FSB's. The A7N8X-E has the nForce 2 Ultra 400 chipset with the 400MHz FSB. That could be part of the problem...or just bad luck for you. Overclocking is luck, dude.

so the board doesn't offcially support those ram speeds? I thought it did as the options only appeared after a bios flash.

It supports pc3200...just not a fsb of 200 (ie 400). The version 2.0 solved this. Some people could get there their ver 1.x up that hight. I couldnt get mine past 175. You shouls allways run your memory 1:1 anyways.

anything below rev 2(mostly, there were a few lucky rev 1.xx) that can not run above about 185FSB. A volt mod can be done to boost the voltage on the N/B which should net you around 210-215. Really It's the N/B, early chips were not as good as they are today.

I have a rev 1.0x A7N8x-Deluxe and as long as it's not hot in the room and I have some decent airflow around the northbridge, I can get 208 FSB stable out of it. Anything higher and I'll get errors in Prime95.

I really should get a fan or something on the northbridge heatsink. It would probably help me a bit. Then again, I'm waiting on a couple of things to happen, then I'm going to sell my mobo & CPU to a friend to grab a mobile Barton and DFI Infinity or Lanparty board just for the hell of it. Too bad I won't be able to get enough money to upgrade to an A64 setup.

You sir are very lucky. My rev 1.04 could only do 175 Prime 95 stable, and around 180-185 in games. No matter what kind of cooling it had;)

Download one of the uber bios's for that board, and up the voltage a bit. You really do need good cooling on the northbridge too, so maybe look into a better heatsink / fan or just get a lot of air flowing over the stock heatsink. Up the voltage one or two steps and then see what you can do. I could get up to 192, but not 193 through 199 stable. I could do 200 mhz though, and all the way up to about 208 stable on my A7N8X Deluxe Revision 1.04

The uber bios dose not up any voltage at all. The guy who made the bios even said so.

Ah, yeah I'd heard rumors about that in the past, never found out the answer though. Well maybe a physical chipset voltage mod is the thing to do..

I was hoping to run cpu and ram 1:1 @ 200, I can get 175 or so stable with no overvolting. Would increasing dimm voltage help?
I'm not going to do any mods to the board as I may replace board and cpu in a few months with 3 ghz setup which supports 200 mhz FSB natively.

"It supports pc3200...just not a fsb of 200 (ie 400). " Isn't pc3200 FSB 200? or at least ram clock 200?

I have the same problem...pc3200 mobile 2500+ and im at 185 fsb and thats all i can get....but the proc is new so with some time i want to get to 200...am i asking too much??

Back