Asus False Advertising - P5NSLI

Aielman

n00b
Just a note for those of you thinking about buying a P5NSLI from Asus in order to get an inexpensive nf5 chipset motherboard for your new Conroe...

It isn't a 570 chipset. It's a flat out lie by Asus.

I purchased this board at the end of last month and had a great deal of trouble with unexpected, random reboots. In the process of doing a great deal of troubleshooting, I learned that the P5NSLI has a standard nforce 4 chipset. This shows plainly when testing with any of the RightMark tests as well as Memtest86.

So be advised. You aren't getting what you are paying for.

peace,
Aielman

Did you install the correct chipset driver? Mine is working fine. I picked it up from Fry's last weekend on a deal they had

E6400 + Asus P5NSLI board = $3(something), can't remember...

Was a pretty good deal. Coupe that with 2GB of Kingston DDR2-533 Value RAM @ $99 bucks per gig..

Got the system fully setup, clocked up from 266 to 290 right now..running rock solid. I need to replace the stock HSF with Scythe this weekend (hopefully they have it at Fry's) or something decide, apply AS5 to it and remount it. I would then pump it up to 310 or so and test it out.

So far, i have no complaint on it...

:D

I have never seen a Scythe HSF at the 4 Fry's that I go to in SoCal. Its mostly Zalman, Thermaltake, and Silverstone.

gchanjam said:
I have never seen a Scythe HSF at the 4 Fry's that I go to in SoCal. Its mostly Zalman, Thermaltake, and Silverstone.

Thermaltake, I'll pick up. I wonder what is a good Scythe equal on the Thermaltake side..I might pick up the Big Typhoon...

Back to the subject of this thread, even Anandtech say the P5NSLI uses the nvidia 570 chipset, not the nforce 4...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2855

smilepak said:
Did you install the correct chipset driver? Mine is working fine. I picked it up from Fry's last weekend on a deal they had

E6400 + Asus P5NSLI board = $3(something), can't remember...

Was a pretty good deal. Coupe that with 2GB of Kingston DDR2-533 Value RAM @ $99 bucks per gig..

Got the system fully setup, clocked up from 266 to 290 right now..running rock solid. I need to replace the stock HSF with Scythe this weekend (hopefully they have it at Fry's) or something decide, apply AS5 to it and remount it. I would then pump it up to 310 or so and test it out.

So far, i have no complaint on it...

:D

The board works, although mine and several others I know of have been subject to random reboots. That's not the issue.

The issue is that it's sold as a 570 chipset and it's not...it's an nF4.

peace,
Aielman

Aielman said:
The board works, although mine and several others I know of have been subject to random reboots. That's not the issue.

The issue is that it's sold as a 570 chipset and it's not...it's an nF4.

peace,
Aielman
just because two programs, both of which are probably outdated, told you so? sheesh man.

rip off the heatsinks and find out for yourself.. never take a program's word for it

The most current (beta) version of Everest Ultimate reads the motherboard chipset as "nForce570sli-Intel".

Shawn

I wouldn't be surprise if they used the nforce 4 as the baseline design for the 570. But the chip is in fact 570 from all article I've read that check it out.

verncat05 said:
The most current (beta) version of Everest Ultimate reads the motherboard chipset as "nForce570sli-Intel".

Shawn

The most current version of CPU-Z shows
cpuzP5NSLI.jpg

The most current version of PC Wizard 2006 shows this
pcwizard.JPG

The most current version of Everest shows this
Everest.JPG

The most current version of memtest86+ shows the same...if it wasn't a pain in the rear, I'd get you a screenshot of that too.

peace,
Aielman

Nvidia C19 southbridge is whats being used in the 590 and 570 series chipsets, its an NF4 variant which Nvidia uses for thier Intel edition chipsets. The northbridge is NF5, C19 is being replaced with C55 which solves the FSB overclocking issues.

kleox64 said:
Nvidia C19 southbridge is whats being used in the 590 and 570 series chipsets, its an NF4 variant which Nvidia uses for thier Intel edition chipsets. The northbridge is NF5, .
actually it's the other way aropund, C19 is the northbridge.

Yep, C19 is the northbridge and C51 is the southbridge. Kleox64 is correct, though, in that the NF570/590 chipset uses the C19.

All those programs read DMI data to retrieve motherboard info don't they? maybe someone at Asus put in the wrong data in the BIOS???

And I've never had one program every get all my motherboard info completely correct. That's been true for the last 3 motherboards I've owned.

That motherboard does in fact use the nForce 570SLI chipset.

Additionally, that chipset has very few differences from the nForce 4 Intel Edition chipset. This isn't ASUS's fault. This is nVidia's. Though there isn't anything to blame them for, they sold a refreshed chipset with no real new features to a motherboard manufacturer who chose to use that chipset. nVidia has the right to sell what they like, and you as an informed consumer have the choice to either purchase, or not purchase that product. If you didn't do your homework on the chipset and it's features before buying, that is your fault.

They do use the same driver, another forum member pointed this out. That's no big deal as nVidia generally unified drivers supporting most of their chipsets in one driver package.

DMI data isn't always accurate either. Many programs will missread this information, and report different results.

If you are still unsure, you can always pop off the north bridge cooler, clear away the thermal compound/tape/TIM or whatever and read the chips markings for yourself. Until you've read the markings on top of that chipset and found them to read "nForce 4", you haven't proven a thing. You don't really know either.

So unless you see "nForce 4" on the physical chip, you have proven nothing, and ASUS has done nothing wrong. From a technical perspective, the two chipsets are virtually identical, they are just paired up with different south bridges. The nForce 570SLI gets the newer C51 south bridge and the nForce 4 didn't and may not be capable of interfacing with the new C51 south bridge for all I know.

So regardless, you bought a motherboard that does exactly what it was advertised to do, and unless you have something to report, as far as we know your board's features are all in place and functioning correctly. Meaning all ASUS has done was sell you a motherboard that does exactly what it is supposed to do, with all the features they said it would have.

This would STILL be the case if that chipset said nForce 4 on it instead of nForce 570SLI on it.

Rabid Badger said:
You guys are totally spoiling this guys indignation and outrage. ;)

Well, people who don't do their homework on products that they purchase should have their outrage spolied.

Damn, I just bought this mobo off of newegg about two days ago with an E6600. Its now to late to cancel too.

-Nick

Bleet said:
Damn, I just bought this mobo off of newegg about two days ago with an E6600. Its now to late to cancel too.

-Nick

I don't think you have too much to worry about this board. It doesn't have the fancy feature like the P5B, but it is a pretty stable board.

I am running it with the E6400 @ 320FSB now and it is pretty rock solid. I am not able to overclock higher because of using Kingston DDR2-533. So it is pretty good for what I have.

Bleet said:

-Nick

Why would you want to cancel it? Due to this guy's totally misguided rambling?

All the better that chipset will do is 320fsb well quite frankly there is no reason anyone who reads anything would buy this board ever for what, SLI
Good grief all of you who bought it should read more. not one person should own that POS!! Not one!! For any price for any reason. Then Manufacturers would either fix it or f**k-it and quit producing it. So If you paid 10cents for it you took it in the a**.

WZ

WeldZilla said:
All the better that chipset will do is 320fsb well quite frankly there is no reason anyone who reads anything would buy this board ever for what, SLI
Good grief all of you who bought it should read more. not one person should own that POS!! Not one!! For any price for any reason. Then Manufacturers would either fix it or f**k-it and quit producing it. So If you paid 10cents for it you took it in the a**.

WZ

What in the world are you talking about?

WeldZilla said:

WZ

Huh?

threepio.jpg

The P5NSLI works as advertised. It's made to run SLI with Intel cpu's, including the Conroe. It's made to run at a FSB of 266. It does all of this as advertised. To say don't get it or it is a POS just because you can't overclock the piss out of it is not very smart.

WZ

This post is just plain aweful.

what the hell???

if asus advertised it as the nforce 570 chipset, it better be that chipset. i don't care if the 430 is an exact carbon copy with a red label and the 570 has a blue one... if asus advertised a 570, it better have the blue label. it's called truth in advertisement and it's the law.

you guys are also asking him to rip apart the heat sink and void the warrantee also? he's done everything reason to lead him to suspect it's asus is using a 430 chipset. every other 570 mother tested under cpuz shown correctly. he could be wrong, but he's got a right be be suspicious. i've ran four up to date programs and it says my p5nsli uses a 430 chipset. i can't find on the internet anywhere why's this the case. i don't mind... but if he does, he's get every right to complain.

the only question is (and he has a right to cuz he bought it under the information that ASUS advertised it as) does the p5nsli uses the 570 chipset? if not, he'd win in any US court despite if the chipsets did the same things. where do you guys get off high and mighty???

what the hell???

if asus advertised it as the nforce 570 chipset, it better be that chipset. i don't care if the 430 is an exact carbon copy with a red label and the 570 has a blue one... if asus advertised a 570, it better have the blue label. it's called truth in advertisement and it's the law.

you guys are also asking him to rip apart the heat sink and void the warrantee also? he's done everything reason to lead him to suspect it's asus is using a 430 chipset. every other 570 mother tested under cpuz shown correctly. he could be wrong, but he's got a right be be suspicious. i've ran four up to date programs and it says my p5nsli uses a 430 chipset. i can't find on the internet anywhere why's this the case. i don't mind... but if he does, he's get every right to complain.

the only question is (and he has a right to cuz he bought it under the information that ASUS advertised it as) does the p5nsli uses the 570 chipset? if not, he'd win in any US court despite if the chipsets did the same things. where do you guys get off high and mighty???

nice, a thread resurrection from way down deep.

But you're rambling about what exaclty? All the majority of us said was that his information was misreported because he was using old software that didn't recognize the PCI device IDs, or read incorrect information from the DMI data, which has often been wrong in some way on most motherboards I've owned. The fact of the matter is that the motherboard in question does indeed use the 570 chipset, many people have confrimed that in this thread alone.

no body's confirmed it on this thread to my satisfaction. did anyone here removed heat sink on the chipset? it's all speculation based on what asus advertised and hardware sites. until someone can explain why cpuz and other utilities register the p5nsli as 430 (but registers correctly on other boards), there's no definitive answer. the thread starter could be wrong, but he has a reasonable right to be suspicious. in fact, i've done several google searches and found several people asking the same question but no real answer.

i actually have the same board and have an updated bios version as well as the latest cpuz (1.40) and it shows as 430? windows vista update said it had updated my nforce4. i don't mind really cuz i'm satisfied with my board. what i'm "rambling about" is that the thread starter doesn't deserved to be ragged on cuz he doesn't reasonably think he got what he paid for.

no body's confirmed it on this thread to my satisfaction. did anyone here removed heat sink on the chipset? it's all speculation based on what asus advertised and hardware sites. until someone can explain why cpuz and other utilities register the p5nsli as 430 (but registers correctly on other boards), there's no definitive answer. the thread starter could be wrong, but he has a reasonable right to be suspicious. in fact, i've done several google searches and found several people asking the same question but no real answer.

i actually have the same board and have an updated bios version as well as the latest cpuz (1.40) and it shows as 420? in fact, windows vista update said it had an updated my nforce4. i don't mind really cuz i'm satisfied with my board. what i'm "rambling about" is that the thread started doesn't deserved to be ragged cuz he doesn't reasonably think he got what he paid for.

He used old versions of all the applications that he used to read the DMI info.

Yes, he claimed it was the most current (at that time) version of Everest, but it most certainly was not. It was at least 3 months old at the time he posted it.

He used old versions of all the applications that he used to read the DMI info.

Yes, he claimed it was the most current (at that time) version of Everest, but it most certainly was not. It was at least 3 months old at the time he posted it.

i've tried it with the latest version of Sandra Lite and the dmi info reads nforce4. what i think is that asus used the older chipset in a few of their batches to meet deadline. in fact, their 32 vista chipset driver from their own site doesn't work for my board. only the nforce 430 wmd version from Microsoft does. i could be wrong of course.

Bumping up an old nonsensical thread like this is very odd. The other guy stopped posting about this a long time ago; I think he realized he was wrong. But he hasn't logged on since the 6th and you joined yesterday. Hmmm. Are you the same person coming back to save your image months after the fact when everyone already forgot about this thread?

Software can be wrong. Get over it.

P.S. The latest version of Sandra doesn't even detect one of my nForce 3 chipsets properly, so using that isn't helping your cause.

I wonder where the OP purchased his hardware... could it be possible he bought it at some dishonest website that rebrands older motherboards and ram (or sells cloned hardware) I know for sure that I've gotten ram LABELED as one thing, but actually another... I learned my lesson a long time ago to only buy from reputable businesses... if they don't show up on resellerratings.com with at least an 8, I don't buy no matter how good the price

I wonder if thread necroing is a bannable offense.

i join specifically for this thread. i've been doing an active google search on this subject and just found this site. no, i'm not the original poster but that's not the point eh? i brought it up cuz it's relevant to me. i'm not really here to diss out insults.

all i'm looking asking is, if my asus board uses the nforce4 or the 570. every software out there says it's the former. yes, the software can be flawed, or asus and amd made mistakes, but put them all together... i'm skeptical. so far nothing on this forums, (nor other forums) have provided me with a satisfactory answer.

i'm looking for the following:
1. asus providing some information whether or not their dmi info is incorrect for this board
2. someone ripping up the heatsink and clearly reads 570 on this board.
3. news from amd concerning this issue.
4. any current software (free of course) out there that WILL read the my chipset as 570.

this search is really just to satisfy my curiosity really.

Back