Asus False Advertising - P5NSLI

i join specifically for this thread. i've been doing an active google search on this subject and just found this site. no, i'm not the original poster but that's not the point eh? i brought it up cuz it's relevant to me. i'm not really here to diss out insults.

all i'm looking asking is, if my asus board uses the nforce4 or the 570. every software out there says it's the former. yes, the software can be flawed, or asus and amd made mistakes, but put them all together... i'm skeptical. so far nothing on this forums, (nor other forums) have provided me with a satisfactory answer.

i'm looking for the following:
1. asus providing some information whether or not their dmi info is incorrect for this board
2. someone ripping up the heatsink and clearly reads 570 on this board.
3. news from amd concerning this issue.
4. any current software (free of course) out there that WILL read the my chipset as 570.

this search is really just to satisfy my curiosity really.

if you're so curious, then why don't you pull off your heatsink and let us know. I doubt it'd void the warranty.

if you're so curious, then why don't you pull off your heatsink and let us know. I doubt it'd void the warranty.

actually, i was slyly trying to convince one you guys with the same board to do it. i'm thinking about it after work night. there's some fasteners on it, but i'm afraid it might be glued on as well. And i'm worried about my warranty since i only got it last month.

actually, i was slyly trying to convince one you guys with the same board to do it. i'm thinking about it after work night. there's some fasteners on it, but i'm afraid it might be glued on as well. And i'm worried about my warranty since i only got it last month.
Outside of the two (possibly three) people in this thread who lack reading comprehension I highly doubt anyone actually cares at all to do this for you cause we all ready know whats up with it. But just in case you missed it:
That motherboard does in fact use the nForce 570SLI chipset.

Additionally, that chipset has very few differences from the nForce 4 Intel Edition chipset. This isn't ASUS's fault. This is nVidia's. Though there isn't anything to blame them for, they sold a refreshed chipset with no real new features to a motherboard manufacturer who chose to use that chipset. nVidia has the right to sell what they like, and you as an informed consumer have the choice to either purchase, or not purchase that product. If you didn't do your homework on the chipset and it's features before buying, that is your fault.

They do use the same driver, another forum member pointed this out. That's no big deal as nVidia generally unified drivers supporting most of their chipsets in one driver package.

DMI data isn't always accurate either. Many programs will missread this information, and report different results.

If you are still unsure, you can always pop off the north bridge cooler, clear away the thermal compound/tape/TIM or whatever and read the chips markings for yourself. Until you've read the markings on top of that chipset and found them to read "nForce 4", you haven't proven a thing. You don't really know either.

So unless you see "nForce 4" on the physical chip, you have proven nothing, and ASUS has done nothing wrong. From a technical perspective, the two chipsets are virtually identical, they are just paired up with different south bridges. The nForce 570SLI gets the newer C51 south bridge and the nForce 4 didn't and may not be capable of interfacing with the new C51 south bridge for all I know.

So regardless, you bought a motherboard that does exactly what it was advertised to do, and unless you have something to report, as far as we know your board's features are all in place and functioning correctly. Meaning all ASUS has done was sell you a motherboard that does exactly what it is supposed to do, with all the features they said it would have.

This would STILL be the case if that chipset said nForce 4 on it instead of nForce 570SLI on it.

Outside of the two (possibly three) people in this thread who lack reading comprehension I highly doubt anyone actually cares at all to do this for you cause we all ready know whats up with it. But just in case you missed it:

no i didn't miss that thread. all he's saying is that the two chips are nearly identical. after reading it... i still dont' know which chip i have. the info he's offering is not strong enough circumstantial evidence to convince me that the p5nsli specifically uses the 570 chipset. i still have doubts for all the reasons i mentioned earlier. it's really not that hard to understand why i skeptical. as for the three people who cares... that's good enough for me (though there is nearly 2000 hits on this thread).

Dunno if we're talking about the same board (P5N32E-SLI here), but lspci shows me a 650i/570 combo; I bought the board full well knowing that. No complaints.

nVidia has the right to sell what they like, and you as an informed consumer have the choice to either purchase, or not purchase that product. If you didn't do your homework on the chipset and it's features before buying, that is your fault.

this part makes me laugh cuz it's just blatantly wrong. if asus advertised the chip as the 570 then by law, it has to be the 570 unless asus put some kind of disclaimer saying "may replace with equivalent chipset". maybe the buyer thinks the number 570 is luckier than 430... it doesn't matter. the chipsets having the same functionalities are irrelevant. that's why you see disclaimers all the time on products like "item show may not be exactly like product".

this part makes me laugh cuz it's just blatantly wrong. if asus advertised the chip as the 570 then by law, it has to be the 570 unless asus put some kind of disclaimer saying "may replace with equivalent chipset". maybe the buyer thinks the number 570 is luckier than 430...
LOL Clearly you don't understand what was said.
... it doesn't matter. the chipsets having the same functionalities are irrelevant. that's why you see disclaimers all the time on products like "item show may not be exactly like product".
No. You see such "warnings" because people are stupid. Like "contents may be warm/hot" on coffee cups. :rolleyes:

LOL Clearly you don't understand what was said.

No. You see such "warnings" because people are stupid. Like "contents may be warm/hot" on coffee cups. :rolleyes:

i understand what he said...i don't think you understand what i said.

no.. you see such warnings cuz the companies don't want to get sued for false advertisement. i'm not talking about safety warnings.

this part makes me laugh cuz it's just blatantly wrong. if asus advertised the chip as the 570 then by law, it has to be the 570 unless asus put some kind of disclaimer saying "may replace with equivalent chipset". maybe the buyer thinks the number 570 is luckier than 430... it doesn't matter. the chipsets having the same functionalities are irrelevant. that's why you see disclaimers all the time on products like "item show may not be exactly like product".

Actually you are wrong. People always seem to miss this one "specifications are subject to change without notice."

Sound familiar?

Well it should. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=331&l4=0&model=1311&modelmenu=2

ASUS' site tells you plainly what it is. I'd pop off the heatsink on the north bridge if you want to be absolutely sure.

NVIDIA® nForce™ 570 SLI™ Intel® Edition
- NB: C19SLI
- SB: MCP51

As far as DMI information goes, many programs read that information incorrrectly. I wouldn't worry about it. If the board performs well and does everything it's supposed to do for you, it sounds like a good board to me.

ASUS' site tells you plainly what it is. I'd pop off the heatsink on the north bridge if you want to be absolutely sure.

NVIDIA® nForce™ 570 SLI™ Intel® Edition
- NB: C19SLI
- SB: MCP51

As far as DMI information goes, many programs read that information incorrrectly. I wouldn't worry about it. If the board performs well and does everything it's supposed to do for you, it sounds like a good board to me.

like i said, i'm happy with my board. this is mainly for curiosity sake... something that gnaws at me simply cuz i'm uncertain, sorta a name you're trying to remember.

like i said, i'm happy with my board. this is mainly for curiosity sake... something that gnaws at me simply cuz i'm uncertain, sorta a name you're trying to remember.

So pop off your damn chipset heatsink and put your curiosity to rest :D

Well, people who don't do their homework on products that they purchase should have their outrage spolied.

I disagree, to an extent at least.

Can you tell me the name of the manufacturer of the caps on the TV in your living room? No? How bout the type of wood that the desk with monitor your reading right now sits on. No?

People can only do a certain amount of research. In order for consumers to learn as much about the things they buy as hardforum knows about computers, you would have to spend every waking minute looking up products.

We buy, use, and sell products of unknown origins too many times each day. You cant possibly expect people to do their homework on everything they buy, you just have to go by what is told to you, which is a problem in our half-truth world ("high performance" 256mb dedicated graphics from Dell FTL).

This guy has plenty of cause for alarm. He bought a product which he was told was Nforce 570, and now has reason to believe its Nforce 4.

However, I would agree that to any program Nforce 4 and 5 Intel editions are very similar, and could easily be mistaken by any program.

I would suggest ripping off the NB and SB heat sinks and seeing for yourself.

time for me to go home. i was hoping to convince someone else to do it cuz of the warranty issue and the fact that it may be glued on. alwellz... i've done worse things to satisfy my curiosity.

time for me to go home. i was hoping to convince someone else to do it cuz of the warranty issue and the fact that it may be glued on. alwellz... i've done worse things to satisfy my curiosity.

IIRC, Asus boards aren't really too hard to get the northbridge heatsink off of. My experience with them is that it isn't glued as it is with some other boards. Should just pop right off once you undo the mounting.

Okay.. i took off the heaksink. now i'm 99% sure... my N5PSLI indeed does uses the Nforce4 chipset. am i still happy with it, yes. would i have bought it if i'd know.. no. like i said.. i think some batches of the older chipset were used to meet deadlines.

see image below (sorry, my camera's not good at close range).
n5psli.jpg

n5psli2.jpg

You need to clean off the heatsink sticky crap from the top of the actual northbridge die and read what it says on it before you can call it an nForce 4 chipset. That is not the actual chipset id string that identifies what it is.

Clean that stuff of and post all of the markings on the top. I would be curious to see what it really is. That label you see in your posted picture is not proof-positive, but the markings will be.

Shawn

You need to clean off the heatsink sticky crap from the top of the actual northbridge die and read what it says on it before you can call it an nForce 4 chipset. That is not the actual chipset id string that identifies what it is.

Clean that stuff of and post all of the markings on the top. I would be curious to see what it really is. That label you see in your posted picture is not proof-positive, but the markings will be.

Shawn

i'm had to remove the screws attaching the motherboard to my case. that's okay.. i'm reasonable sure it's nforce4.

goodbye and good luck.

It's more probable that the nForce 4 and nForce 570 chipsets are nearly identicle and that the 570 SLI chipset is little more than a revised nForce 4.

Back