ASUS developing a 7800GTX with 2 cores on one card

SC385

[H]ard|Gawd
ASUS Will Offer Dual-7800 GTX
by Justin Mann on Tue 13 Sep 2005, 06:44 PM

A bit of a flop with their original 6800 series of dual cards, ASUS has upped the stakes and, due to the popularity of the 7800GTX, possibly created a must-have for enthusiasts. No, this isn't an SLI solution. This is an actual PCB with two GPUs on the card itself, letting you have SLI performance in a place where space may not let you. Although it hasn't left development yet, and details aren't complete, it's still an awesome thing to see. It supposedly will allow you to use SLI in boards that do not natively support it. ASUS choosing the 7800 GPU for a finished product is a good one, considering the 7800 has become much more popular and offers better performance with less power draw. Double the GPU and you double the power draw.

Like the cancelled 6800, this card will draw a lot more power than a single 7800 as well as requiring more room, but eventually you open up the possibility of SLI with dual cards, giving you, theoretically, 4 cards. This hasn't been done in practice yet but nVidia has stated it is possible. Let's hope ASUS can get this one off the ground and our hands this time.

ASUS-7800GTXDUAL.jpg

not sure if its true or not but sounds cool. source of story source for pic

GFreeman9 said:
That's crazy! I wonder if you can mod it so you have one core with 512mb. Depending on how the benchmarks turn out in sli you would have 2 7800gtxs with 512mb RAM! BTW Damn thats a big card!

Umm... no and that would be pretty retarded. Why would you want ot "mod" a dual 7800GTX into a single 7800GTX when there will be 512mb 7800GTX's out by then anyway.

Either way, there is no way in hell you would get better scores with a 512mb single core versus 256mb per core...

Look ma! I got 2 motherboards in my computer OMGWTFBBQ. Seriously what's the point?

some of you are not openminded...if it can be done than why the hell not

I'd like to see 2 of these in SLI :D

1gb of video memory, and 4 gpu's

J-Mag said:
Umm... no and that would be pretty retarded. Why would you want ot "mod" a dual 7800GTX into a single 7800GTX when there will be 512mb 7800GTX's out by then anyway.
nVidia never said they were making 512mb GTXs...thanks for the flame though

GFreeman9 said:
That's crazy! I wonder if you can mod it so you have one core with 512mb. Depending on how the benchmarks turn out in sli you would have 2 7800gtxs with 512mb RAM! BTW Damn thats a big card!
Server appears broke.

I don't know why ASUS or anybody else would waste their time on these goofy dual GPU cards. You have to specially manufacture these things, which I'm sure isn't a cheap process. By the time these things are ready for production, nvidia and ATi will be releasing faster GPU's! I admit, when I first saw dual 6600GT's and dual 6800-level cards, I was pretty excited too, until I realized that there are better options. The only people this card appeals to are people with SLI-capable SFF's or something where space is an issue. But then, if this card is as big as people are saying, I don't think it would fit into an SFF anyway. So I'm not sure who would really buy this card, though we all want one.

If they can make two of these work in SLI then they will have a limited market; I say let them try, for the sake of performance. Who wouldn't want a 4x7800 rig?

acascianelli said:
I'd like to see 2 of these in SLI :D

1gb of video memory, and 4 gpu's

There might be 2gb of physical memory, but it would still be the equivalent of 256mb total, as they'd all have to hold the same information. SO 4 cores, 256mb memory, really.

GFreeman9 said:
nVidia never said they were making 512mb GTXs...thanks for the flame though

They actually did make an announcement. Now to see if I can remember where I saw it.

why does it need two sets of 256 m/b?
they need to design it so they can use the same set of memory, waste of money.

Because then they'd have to create a way to have two GPUs on with only one memory controller. Not to mention that if they did that, the memory bus would be swamped with requests (one GPU would be waiting while the other got info) so performance wouldn't be as good.

MrGuvernment said:
suprised Asus did this and no Gigabyte - known for their dual core past 6**** cards.
Yea but IIRC, Gigabyte only got as far as the 6600gt or maybe 6800gt? I think ASUS announced the dual 6800 Ultra card, but canned it, for the reasons I stated above.

oh lord just what the world needs a $1000+ vid card :rolleyes:

till some one make some link this that you SLi two of them im not impressed
2 cores meh been done isnt any better then SLi not like it fits in a shuttle or is the same size as a 1 core card now 4 core ie 2 2core cards in SLi that would be cool it would cost $$$$$$
but hell it would be fast till then meh

You can't SLI two of those monstrosities and see a benifit at all. That thing is so fricking huge it'll probably fit in one of like 2000 cases.

Well, for everyone asking why this is not worth it, I have an answer as to why it is. I am extremly excited about this. I am going to build a sff, and would love to have this card to power it. That was I son't have to worry about a mATX Sli Mobo, and it would give me a reason to get a 2405.

TheBlueChanell said:
Well, for everyone asking why this is not worth it, I have an answer as to why it is. I am extremly excited about this. I am going to build a sff, and would love to have this card to power it. That was I son't have to worry about a mATX Sli Mobo, and it would give me a reason to get a 2405.

2 things
1. im 100% sure it wont fit
2. im 99% sure it wont work in any mobo other then an ASUS one

Elios said:
2 things
1. im 100% sure it wont fit
2. im 99% sure it wont work in any mobo other then an ASUS one
Yea. We will see if ASUS can manage to get these cards working in non-SLI enabled motherboards. If/when that happens, then we are talking about a major innovation. Until then, if you have to buy an SLI mobo anyway, just buy 2 cards. Same price likely.

okashira said:

How is it a waste of money - please specify?

Se previous post - this is the same as dual Opterons and each having their own memory bank = MUCH better peroformance.

Back