Asus bad?

Meng-Chieh

Weaksauce
I've been told repeatedly that Asus motherboards are prone to fry despite their reputation for good quality - is this true? How's Gigabyte?

It's so sad - I originally was looking at a potential P4P800 Deluxe board, but now...

Anyone's got an opinion for the Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro?

I have this Motherboard Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro!!!

ITs so stable, and has good features. Comes with a good bundle and supports the new prescot and SATA.

Dual BIOS rulz:D

darn...b/c the Asus P4P800 Deluxe w/ PE chipset sports PAT technology, which is supposed to make it on par with the P chipsets...

I have built alot of computers with Asus motherboards over the last 8 years. I have probably worked with well over 40 of their motherboards and probably at least 10 different models.

I have NEVER not once had a bad board out of the box. It has NEVER happened. Not to mention that only one Asus motherboard of those I have built machines from has died. The reason it died was because some idiot manager at my work plugged a SCSI Zip drive into the parallel port while the machine was running. With the zip drive powered on. :eek:

So when I hear people say they've gotten dead boards out of the box from Asus or alot of other companies I have to wonder if they know what they are doing when trying to install these things. In general I have rarely ever gotten bad PC components out of the box from any company or manufacturer. Having worked in several high volume service centers and for several retailers in their service shops I have alot of experience with computer hardware.

There are two exceptions in my experience. Abit and Soyo. Out of the box I have had a few bad Soyo's and a couple Abits. However in the first year alot of Soyo's went bad and so did many of the Abit's. Including two different Abit's I had. A KT7-A RAID and 2 BX6 Rev 2's.

However it definatley could be chalked up to a number of other factors. Such as surges and people dicking with the components. Not to mention that due to the popularity of Asus and Abit motherboards in the enthusiest community you will hear more cases of peoples boards dying due to the way their pushed. also the sheer amount of them being used by users of this forum and others like it is another reason why statistically you will hear of more failures on these forums than you probably would otherwise.

Point is any tier one manufacturer will be able to provide you with a good quality board. Assuming your qualified to install the board you should rarely have problems with a new board.

And actually the P4P800 or any other i865 board does NOT support PAT. Many motherboard manufacturers have found a way to make the boards do the same things that PAT does. There by giving you the most for your dollar and closing the i865/i875 gap.

But true PAT is only on the i875 chipsets. I have heard people who use the forms of "PAT" on i865 boards get mixed results. About half of them got it to work. However everyone I know with any i875 solution was able to get theirs to work all the time.

Thnx for your reply - here's my potential system specs, anyone who's got suggestions pls feel free to do so...

CPU: Pentium 4 3.2CGHz 800FSB + 215k cache
Motherboard: Asus P4P800 Deluxe
RAM: 2 x Crucial DDR400 512M
HD: Western Digital SATA 120GB w/ 8MB cache
Optical: Lite-on SOHW-812S DVD-RW/+RW
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro All-in-Wonder
Case: Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG w/ 430 watt TruePower

Looks like good system specs to me. Although if you want to save some money on the system you could go with a 3.0C instead of the 3.2C. Theres not alot of difference in performance but there is in price if I am not mistaken. That and 3.0C's will OC nicely and you could definatley run it at 3.2GHz without problems for sure. Even a bad OC'ing processor should be able to do that.

However if you have no plans to OC and have the desire to pay for a full 3.2C then go for it. I am sure you will be pleased with it's performance.

It's sad b/c I'm no expert at computers and as such haven't the slightest clue on how to oc processors - think the guys who are building my system will be able to do it? (from www.atic.ca)

I've had good experiences with Abit and Asus. Although, I have had to RMA a P4P800-d twice...but I think that was in fact due to my PSU. Got a new PSU (actually two of them, one came with my case - Antec) and an Abit. Still waiting on the Asus to come back.

The P4P800-D is definately an awsome board though. you'll be very happy with it. Overclocked my 2.4b all the way to 3.3Ghz on 1.6v...900Mhz for free ain't bad in my book! And that's on air. Wonder what I could have done if I had the money for a good w/c setup or prommy.

I also have never run into a bad board with asus... ive probably used about 6 and each one has been flawless

I got a bad one from Crap-USA, but I returned it for the same board because I believe they're the best board made (have three,A7N8X dlx, A7V8X, & A7N8X-X)

Asus has fine quality from my experience. You're gonna have people that have bad luck with certain brands more than others.

I have only had a bad experience with the p4p800 deluxe
but my p4c800 e deluxe kicks butt has many options that any other board has that I have compared to

asus is the best!!! i have had issues with all boards and i think by far they are the most stable.

justin

The only motherboards I've ever bought have been Asus. Also Meng-Chieh, you have to start somewhere at some time, and it might as well be now. Like two years ago I had no idea what overclocking was, but I read up on it, visited this board a lot, and eventually got the hang of it. Its not nuclear physics.

My last 5 builds have been ASUS mobos and they have not caused a problem... but the newest one is a pisser.

built three with ASUS CUSL2
built two with ASUS P4P800 - deluxe
each one has been stable and fast

2 days ago, I tried to build an AMD mobile system using the ASUS A7N8X-E and it died. It posted once with only CPU w/HSF, RAM and vid card. The second time it was attached to everything and it posted fine. I went into the bios to make sure everything was right, chose exit and save and then the computer wouldn't boot. The monitor wouldn't get a signal but the fans were going. I tried clearing the CMOS with no luck. Found out after browsing a couple other forums that the CMOS battery that comes default is bad. So it has a chance to corrupt the bios or something. So I had to RMA it. It's a pisser that a 120 dollar mobo goes bad due to something like the battery. RMA is in progress with newegg, gonna put a new energizer or duracell battery in when I get the board back. If it happens again, bye bye ASUS!

P.S. - i tried everything to get it to post, minimal components.. switching components, etc..

In the past few years, here are the boards I've used for my systems. A7V133, A7V266-e and the A7N8x-Deluxe. They have worked very well for me. The only times I've had any trouble with them is when I managed to mess up the board with something that I was doing. They weren't problems with the board itself.

My next board will probably be a DFI Lanparty just to try something different. That is, if a friend of mine ever gets the money to buy my Asus & XP2400+ from me.

If Asus were really that bad, do you think they'd be as popular and highly rated as they are?

I'm on my 4th Asus board in about 5 or so years. I never, EVER had a problem with them except for the ATI 9700/P4S8X issue when both pieces of hardware first came out.

In fact, I was just on Asus' site looking at what's new.

Mike

I have never had a problem with my asus mobo, it runs excellent.
My friend on the other hand, had something go wrong with his a7n8x dlx. Still havn't quite figured out the exact problem with it, but it can't detect sata drives at all anymore.

The only problem I have is with my 9800xt by asus. Horrible O/Cer, but atleast it hasn't died.

I love my Asus P4p800 Dlx...and I recommend it to anyone.

fast, rock solid, just plain ROCKS!

My Asus P4C800-E is amazing in performance............i just need to do some doop mod and vdimm.....im 100% satisfied..........

It only sucks if the user doesnt have a clue on what to tweak on bios.......

Originally posted by Sir-Fragalot
I have built alot of computers with Asus motherboards over the last 8 years. I have probably worked with well over 40 of their motherboards and probably at least 10 different models.

I have NEVER not once had a bad board out of the box. It has NEVER happened. Not to mention that only one Asus motherboard of those I have built machines from has died.

My experiences have been very similar to Sir-Fragalot. Having used 20 or so ASUS mobo's in systems over the last 7 years or so and only having 1 die (after 2 years of service) is indicative of excellent quality IMHO. Especially when you consider how easy they are to work with.

I have never had a problem with my two Asus boards.

My friend however had a problem with his board when he sent it to Comp-USA for new PSU and the Comp-USA tech touched the board while it was on with a magnetized screwdriver :p .

My K8V Deluxe's been serving me fine for about half a year now, the only problem being a little bit of extra heat with the newest BIOS (the board's more heat tolerant though).

I have used ASUS boards all my life....and they have never been a problem.

I have always liked the quality and none of them fried on me. The first PC I built was an ASUS and it's hanging on my wall right now since I retired it 6 years ago and I've only built PC's with ASUS mobo's in them since. I have built some PC's with Tyan mobo's in them for my buddies but they don't seem to last to long. I'm not even sure if that company is even in business, have to check.

We should have an ASUS Sub-Topic.

I too have NEVER had a bad experience with ASUS boards. I work at ICCT in Toronto and we sell ASUS boards as our main motherboard of choice, I'd say out of all the ASUS boards we sell I say there's a 1% chance of a bad board. If there is any problem with an ASUS it's mainly one of the ones with the built in video and that the video out doesn't display, but other than that all their main line and top of the line boards have yet gone bad in my experience. I build at least 5-50systems a week at the store and 90% of the time their ASUS boards, and I have yet gotten a crap board unless it's one of those all in one boards (w/video out), but even those are extremely rare.

I've been using Asus motherboards since about 1998, and have never had any problems with them. In total I've built about 25 machines for myself and customers with Asus boards and I've never had any that were DOA, killed in action, or even stability problems. When shopping for a new board I read up on the current Asus model first :D

Asus makes great boards, not much more to say than that. Three running right now, never had any problems.

I never realized how good they were until I built one for a friend, one board from Biostar, one from Shuttle. Good boards, but the WORST manuals I've ever seen. I've been spoiled by the 80 pages Asus manuals. The Biostar was about 10 pages and the Shuttle about 30, but no good info. Asus all the way.

after having it for 2 months now Its 100% stable My only complaint if it is one is that I am used to abit bios's I think the Abit are easier to go through and check and have a few more options but I am starting to get used to this bios setup I went from raid 0 back to regular setup there was no real advantage for what I do (play games,surf and rip dvd's ;) )

im on my 3rd asus mobo now, the systems built on these have NEVER crashed on me

I've got the P4C800-E Deluxe, been very happy with it. Haven't had a single problem. This was my first PC (coming from having a Mac), and still had no problems putting my own PC together. And overclocking is dead simple. The builders of the PC don't have to do it, you can take a few minutes and o/c a couple hundred MHz easy. If you spend some time you can get even more.

i purchased an A7n8x, back last christmas, till this day i still have it, and have been swapping out hardware when i get cash to buy it, to see what the problem is. I finally finished the whole swapping process and came to the conclusion that the mobo is dead. and now need to rma it. Ive had similar expirences with previous asus motherboards too, the next time i buy, im avoiding asus. their tech support isnt that helpful either. :mad:

I like Asus and will probably buy another; however, I have had issues with them...2 boards died after about a year of usage. One is in the early process of the RMA, and the other one was just trashed in anger. :)

Sir-Fragalot said:

I have NEVER not once had a bad board out of the box. It has NEVER happened. Not to mention that only one Asus motherboard of those I have built machines from has died. The reason it died was because some idiot manager at my work plugged a SCSI Zip drive into the parallel port while the machine was running. With the zip drive powered on. :eek:

So when I hear people say they've gotten dead boards out of the box from Asus or alot of other companies I have to wonder if they know what they are doing when trying to install these things. In general I have rarely ever gotten bad PC components out of the box from any company or manufacturer. Having worked in several high volume service centers and for several retailers in their service shops I have alot of experience with computer hardware.

There are two exceptions in my experience. Abit and Soyo. Out of the box I have had a few bad Soyo's and a couple Abits. However in the first year alot of Soyo's went bad and so did many of the Abit's. Including two different Abit's I had. A KT7-A RAID and 2 BX6 Rev 2's.

However it definatley could be chalked up to a number of other factors. Such as surges and people dicking with the components. Not to mention that due to the popularity of Asus and Abit motherboards in the enthusiest community you will hear more cases of peoples boards dying due to the way their pushed. also the sheer amount of them being used by users of this forum and others like it is another reason why statistically you will hear of more failures on these forums than you probably would otherwise.

Point is any tier one manufacturer will be able to provide you with a good quality board. Assuming your qualified to install the board you should rarely have problems with a new board.

And actually the P4P800 or any other i865 board does NOT support PAT. Many motherboard manufacturers have found a way to make the boards do the same things that PAT does. There by giving you the most for your dollar and closing the i865/i875 gap.

But true PAT is only on the i875 chipsets. I have heard people who use the forms of "PAT" on i865 boards get mixed results. About half of them got it to work. However everyone I know with any i875 solution was able to get theirs to work all the time.

Totally agree with that here. Asus are always the first to market a motherboard based on a new chipset and they always have one of the fastest, often the fastest, and are also more reliable motherboard. Our consultant at the shop use Asus just as you for about 8-9 years and still only just buy Asus.

Para

Back