ASUS ARES True Dual 5870 Spy Pics

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at PC Perspective have posted a few pictures of the upcoming ASUS Ares dual HD 5870 video card. In addition to being a true dual HD 5870 card, the Ares also sports 4GB of DDR5 (2GB per GPU). Hit the link for more information and pictures.

That is a very sexy card. I've been a Green Team fan all my life but later this week or early next week I'm going to be trying out a 5850 from a 260 Core 216. 28k is a nice GPU score. *drools*

I knew there was a good reason for my 1KW PSU. :p

Do want. And that motherboard that it is resting on, I want that too.

Two 8 pins and a 6 pin!
Ima just plug this thing straight into the well. :D

28.4k, WUT?

7k more 3dmark score from a 5970, i'm calling shens

They are running at 900+ mhz core per vs. the 725mhz on 5970 and have twice the ram running at 1250mhz+ vs. 1000mhz. It's pretty believable.

Interesting. From the pictures, it looks like the card length is shorter than the Radeon HD 5970.

I'm guessing ASUS will probably charge a bucklet load for this card, just like they did with the MARS card.

Im guessing it would cost just as much to buy two 5870 2gb cards. Its good for people whos motherboard doesnt do crossfire though.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that thing reached ASUS MARS pricing.

And err...as it fits in a single slot can we call it a 'single card'? I reckon so.

That looks schweeet, but with two 8-pins plus a 6-pin, and the sure to be astronomical pricing, I'd rather throw in two 5870's and OC them myself. But damn that is card sexy.

I guess me and my 750 watt PSU can wave at this thing way off from the distance. That's going to be a beastly card no doubt.

I knew there was a good reason for my 1KW PSU. :p

May wanna dig around for one of those 2KW units...

I'll wait for prices to be announced and waterblocks released to decide between this or a 5970.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that thing reached ASUS MARS pricing.

yep nice card but that will be its downfall the cost, that and its Asus... asus and video cards mix as well as oil and water.

Asus warranty is almost as big of a PITA as the POS PNY

if you look at the picture real close, you can see that the heat sink on this card covers the second pci-e slot. I don't think with this version you'll be able to fit more than 2 in a 4 slot double-wide pci-e motherboard

WHY OH FREAKING WHY ASUS!!!

i really wish people would stop messing with the basic concept of the reference cooler where nearly ALL the heat from the card is dumped out the back of the case (ok some isnt but majority is), i would be first inline to buy a pair of these if they wouldnt mess up the cooler on it sigh now to wait around for another month or 2 until someone makes a suitable cooler for the dual gpu 2gig/gpu cards that isnt just gonna toast up the internals of my case...

if you look at the picture real close, you can see that the heat sink on this card covers the second pci-e slot. I don't think with this version you'll be able to fit more than 2 in a 4 slot double-wide pci-e motherboard

People buying this kind of a GPU will be looking at something like an SR-2 to pair it with.

i really wish people would stop messing with the basic concept of the reference cooler where nearly ALL the heat from the card is dumped out the back of the case (ok some isnt but majority is), i would be first inline to buy a pair of these if they wouldnt mess up the cooler on it sigh now to wait around for another month or 2 until someone makes a suitable cooler for the dual gpu 2gig/gpu cards that isnt just gonna toast up the internals of my case...

I don't know why they bother with the air cooler, this kind of a card should be watercooled straight out of the box. They'll probably price it similar to the MARS, so I don't see it being a "normal user" card. Especially with it violating the PCI-E 2.0 spec.

I dont see a problem if you have a half decent case. most mid range cases come with 5+ 120mm fans which is more then enough. This card is as much as a high end gaming rig itself it would mean that most rigs this card goes into will be very high end which excellent cooling.

Back