Asus Apex X299 HDD Killer?

Shadowarez

Gawd
Not sure if this is a thing or anyone could help diagnose this but it seems my board eats HDDS every few months unless im extremely unlucky. iv had this setup for nearly 2 years, iv stooped putting hdds in this for any kind of storage since it claimed 4 8TB drives in its first year.

iv tried different ports tried different cables, different hdds, new,refurb it seems to be the same outcome the drive will just stop working after a few months randomly without reason it'll develop that cycle reload count errors and it will eventually stop after these appear.

has anyone encountered this before iv looked and posted this on various forums. but never found a answer that fixed the issue i have 2 drives i could try but don't feel like losing 16TB worth of data if i put these drives back in.
current setup
Build

This sounds more like a bad power supply cooking them; or bad grounds. Have you tried swapping the PSU yet?

What brand type of drives? I have had 3 WD white label drives die in the past year and have dealt with similar. I have resorted to using the rest in a raid 5 because I no longer trust them. I switched power supplies thinking the same thing, but it didn't fix it for me.

First few were Seagate then WD Gold's iv built a few systems this year for sale out drive's in those not a single issue. I switched PSUs from the H2 1600w to a T2 same issues. Think I'll just turn this 18c-36t cpu into a server and build a 5950x or maybe a new TR 5000x

Don't believe so I'll double check the current 8TB I have sitting on desk check it against the RMA I recieved. These are the helium filled Seagate archive drive's.

haha no i dont trust raid on these. drives iv had die were these.

one of first things i checked after the first one died was monitoring voltages and they all seemed to be within spec for drives. i even have the rig hooked up to a ups with pure sinewave 2 to give it clean steady power.

8TB BarraCuda
Seagate 8TB Archive

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is it always the same mode of failure when the hard drives fail?

How are you monitoring voltage from the power supply? The only way to really be sure is to check it with a volt meter at the drive, which is obviously a pain in the ass.

was just loading them with my completed video work, wouldnt need to read em often.

maybe once a week a few files. projects id finished would just go there for archival storage. so when i had time id do the work on my nvmes the n offload to the drive,

Hmm. That’s the known issue with SMR; writes are fine, reads are fine, rewriting is killer on them.

Back