ASUS Announces ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

I already have 3 Catleaps but G-Sync/FreeSync is definitely something worth upgrading for

i don't think so. g-sync is only good if you can't keep your framerate above your refresh rate. pointless for enthusiasts, which is the target audience of the only announced g-sync monitors...

You guys are crazy and must of had some bad experience with TN panels ASUS TN is top notch other brands might not be...
I hope they make a smaller version =)

You guys are crazy and must of had some bad experience with TN panels ASUS TN is top notch other brands might not be...

my vg236he looks like complete washed out shit compared to my qx2710, and it's one of the best TNs i've used

I got my TN from 2011 but it looks great for some games and not for others.
The black levels are the only thing it lacks but that is good for dark games...

i don't think so. g-sync is only good if you can't keep your framerate above your refresh rate. pointless for enthusiasts, which is the target audience of the only announced g-sync monitors...
Even if you have hundreds of FPS its not really a smooth experience because of the judder and tearing

VSync on the other hand is smooth but always has a bit of lag even in the best case scenario
For many games where it buffers multiple frames its just unusable

So G-Sync/FreeSync really is good for everyone

my vg236he looks like complete washed out shit compared to my qx2710, and it's one of the best TNs i've used

I wonder why? Mine looked great next to my Catleap, U2711, 3007WFP, and current U3014 and it was a damn sight better than the FG2421 I got, although I think that was a defective panel. I'll be buying this screen when it comes out provided the AG coating isn't stupid, it has everything I want.

Even if this is TN, I am probably in for one of these. I've been spoiled by the Korean screens too but, honestly, I really want this.

I just got a 780ti and had to turn on vsync for BF4 at 2560x1440. I forgot how bad the input lag is, couldn't figure out why my mouse felt so wrong for a while. I've been thinking for a while about whether I'd rather have 120hz or 1440p.. now I won't have to choose. Just wish it was coming out sooner!

His response to viewing angle complaints on the video for what its worth:

I found it funny he mentioned if you like the VG series for viewing angles, you will like this display. The VG series has horrid viewing angles lol.

G-sync is freaking great! for those that can't hit their monitor refresh rates (typically 60Hz).

G-sync will slightly reduce your input lag and completely eliminate all tearing!!! There is no downsides to G-sync style screen updates. (Down sides are strictly political i.e. it is not a standard and proprietary)

Its only because of the stupid video industry that we had fix refresh rates. Why bother with on demand (dynamic) refresh rates when all video source is fixed 24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz, etc. G-sync is the future, and hopefully they can implement it in the display port standard for everyone to use.

Everyone wants it. But you got to use your mind - and understand that it's a trap. :) A crappy trap.

I don't know if I agree with that. Someone has to blaze this trail, the only reason we're talking about this monitor is that, right now, it is the only one that exists. I applaud companies pushing forward, even if it is not exactly what we want.

Where else can you find a 1440p, native 120hz monitor with g-sync? I guarantee there will be multiple choices in a year.. maybe less.. but right now, someone is doing it and I'm glad!

Why are gaming-related components always designed to be as gaudy as possible. Yeah, I want a giant red ring under the monitor for no reason.

Aren't gaming pc's essentially expensive toys? It's just going with the "toy" theme. :p

this looks great, i'll wait for reviews to see if i want to upgrade to it. i'm fine with TN panels as long as the colors aren't washed out and dull. some TN's can look pretty decent.

i agree with Megalith, don't need boy-racer red rings and shit like that on my monitor. minimalist design is always more attractive. i'm sure the LED ring can be turned off.

The older MacBook Pro TN panels looked pretty decent before they went IPS/Retina. It's not the end of the world if it is a TN but I am concerned about having it in a 27" screen size.

Why is everyone hating so hard on Tennessee? :(
They even have decent beer to go with their awesome whiskey! Poor volunteer people.

...oh wait.

Yeah I'll keep my PB278Q on my desk for the foreseeable future... unless they make an updated version without PWM backlighting.

I thought Samsung's PLS might be able to bridge the response gap for high-end 120hz but I guess we're not there yet.

Regarding TNs, my samsung A750D 27" 120hz TN looks pretty decent for a gaming monitor, so not all TNs are the same. A lot of people have said similar of theirs when they owned them, and noted a downgrade in image quality when switching to some of the newer gaming TNs. It is the best TN I have seen, and that said with it being next to my 2560x1440 apple cinema display. Yes the ppi, color and uniformity is better on the acd but the A750 TN isn't total trash like other TN's I've had and is very vibrant if not accurate. The ACD is a blurfest on 1st/3rd person games during FoV movement, its only 60hz of motion definition (and its slower/"delayed" action updates shown) and the rez is way more demanding. The samsung just isn't capable of the best zero blur backlight strobing. It can do backlight sequential strobe mode but it isn't capable of fully removing the blur and adds a lot of input lag too so is unsuitable compared to the eizo fg2421 or the g-sync strobe mode of the higher hz g-sync monitors coming out most likely.

From the article I read, it is the 4k version of the new "287Q" line asus monitors which is $799, not the 2560x1440 version. They are the Asus PG278Q and Asus PB287Q , respectively. The 2560x1440 PG278Q is going to be TN and 120hz, which means it will not only have higher motion definition showing more frequent and more recent frames of action (at very high fps), but it will be high enough hz so that you can use the "superior to lightboost" function of g-sync to get zero blur instead of the variable hz function of g-sync (they are mutually exclusive).
Again, I didn't see any pricing on the 2560x version. The PB287Q 4k one was quoted at $799, and I doubt it will be able to do 120hz.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2014/01/07/asus-pg278q-g-sync-pb287q-gaming-monitor/1
Asus PG278Q = 27" , 2560x1440, TN, Gsync, 120hz, price unknown, avail in next few months
Asus PB278Q = "4k" 38240x2160 (sometimes called 'quad HD'), TN, G-sync , Probably not more than 60hz I'm guessing, ERP $799 , 2nd qtr
<snip>
..Asus PG278Q
The first of these new monitors, the PG278Q, is a 27in model with a WQHD (2,560 x 1,440) resolution, a super-thin 6mm bezel and that includes Nvidia G-Sync.
The Asus PG278Q will be available in the next few months but no price has yet been mentioned.
<snip>..
Asus PB287Q
Joining the PG278Q in Asus' premium monitor range will be a new UHD/4k monitor that, like the Lenovo ThinkVision Pro 2840m that was announced yesterday, aims to bring 4k resolutions to a more affordable price point.

Sporting a 3,840 x 2,160 resolution it will use a TN panel - like the Lenovo - to keep costs down but will include plenty of video inputs, with HDMI, HDMI/MHL and DisplayPOrt 1.2 all onboard. It will also have a pair of stereo speakers.

The Asus PB287Q will be available in the second quarter of 2014, and is priced at $799.

Last edited:
You seriously need to do a comparison side by side to see the superiority of even a cheap IPS has over the best TN panels there is. It's one thing to say you chose TN because of cost and/or you prefer higher response rate for gaming but you're completely out of your mind if you think TN can even hold up in comparison to an IPS. Yes, I have used many Asus monitors. Have owned a few and still own one currently.

You seriously need to do a comparison side by side to see the superiority of even a cheap IPS has over the best TN panels there is. It's one thing to say you chose TN because of cost and/or you prefer higher response rate for gaming but you're completely out of your mind if you think TN can even hold up in comparison to an IPS. Yes, I have used many Asus monitors. Have owned a few and still own one currently.

it's really not that big of a difference. i mean yeah, it's pretty noticeable, but it's not like TN is as horrific and unusable as the people on this forum make it out to be. especially considering ips still has significantly slower pixels. it wouldn't make any sense for a "republic of gamers" branded monitor to have a slow and blurry ips panel.

Last edited:
Yes I keep two different monitors at the same desk because IPS typically are only 60hz and have no blur elimination backlight strobing. (Even the 120hz "overclockable" overlords only reduce blur by worse than 50% compared to a 60hz). 1st/3rd person cgi world gaming is a constant motion flow of FoV movement which blurs the entire viewport to your eyes. This blur is not even a definable grid resolution so I don't credit screenshots of ips panel's high resolution and uniformity as being what you see much of the time you are actually playing a game. In fact, screen blur is pretty much the "worst resolution" scenario (or a really horrible visual acuity/vision blurriness score if you prefer) and happens throughout your gameplay. You don't play a screenshot, and you can't show someone who doesn't have a high hz backlight strobing/zero blur monitor running a game at high fps what it looks and feels like. The best you can do is show high framerate camera recordings of it slowed down, and show pursuit camera comparisons of blur, which while they give some clarity to the issue isn't the same as seeing and feeling it in person.
Not only do high hz monitors with backlight strobing essentially eliminate blur, running high fps at high hz shows you scene action update "slices" more often and sooner, providing greater motion and animation definition/flow and greater control definition/more opportunities to initiate actions while the lower hz user is "freeze-framed" on an outdated action slice for 16.6ms at 60fps-60hz (120fps+120hz user would see two new frames to their one), at 40fps you would be "freeze-framed" through 3 frames and at 30fps you would be "freeze-framed" through 4 frames of action that the 120hz+120fps user would see, etc. This higher definition motion and control is also aesthetically pleasing in addition to any other benefits.
Of course a high ppi, high rez ips is way better for desktop real estate and apps, which is why I have a different monitor for each appropriate task since the tradeoffs are so great.

Last edited:
I had a TN monitor for 2 years, played everything on it, was pretty satisfied.

Bought a new IPS about a month ago, glow killed immersion in dark scenes and annoyed the hell out of me. Didn't consider the benefits of IPS worth the frustration of having to stare at those glowing corners all the time.

Got tired of the search and went back to CRT.

Just my 2c.

I'm assuming this is a TN panel?

I don't believe anyone makes a 27" 2560x1440 TN panel, it will almost definitely be IPS.

edit; guess I was wrong. Asus won't be getting my money, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Well, one reason the Samsung Ultra-clear line of TN panels were so good was that they were full gloss. That can help a lot with a TN panel. Unfortunately this Asus looks full butt ugly matte film. Asus absolutely loves matte film for some reason.

Well, one reason the Samsung Ultra-clear line of TN panels were so good was that they were full gloss. That can help a lot with a TN panel. Unfortunately this Asus looks full butt ugly matte film. Asus absolutely loves matte film for some reason.

can't you still de-matte it?

a real shame too considering how good the vg236 looks

Regarding TNs, my samsung A750D 27" 120hz TN looks pretty decent for a gaming monitor, so not all TNs are the same. A lot of people have said similar of theirs when they owned them, and noted a downgrade in image quality when switching to some of the newer gaming TNs. It is the best TN I have seen, and that said with it being next to my 2560x1440 apple cinema display. Yes the ppi, color and uniformity is better on the acd but the A750 TN isn't total trash like other TN's I've had and is very vibrant if not accurate. The ACD is a blurfest on 1st/3rd person games during FoV movement, its only 60hz of motion definition (and its slower/"delayed" action updates shown) and the rez is way more demanding. The samsung just isn't capable of the best zero blur backlight strobing. It can do backlight sequential strobe mode but it isn't capable of fully removing the blur and adds a lot of input lag too so is unsuitable compared to the eizo fg2421 or the g-sync strobe mode of the higher hz g-sync monitors coming out most likely.

From the article I read, it is the 4k version of the new "287Q" line asus monitors which is $799, not the 2560x1440 version. They are the Asus PG278Q and Asus PB287Q , respectively. The 2560x1440 PG278Q is going to be TN and 120hz, which means it will not only have higher motion definition showing more frequent and more recent frames of action (at very high fps), but it will be high enough hz so that you can use the "superior to lightboost" function of g-sync to get zero blur instead of the variable hz function of g-sync (they are mutually exclusive).
Again, I didn't see any pricing on the 2560x version. The PB287Q 4k one was quoted at $799, and I doubt it will be able to do 120hz.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2014/01/07/asus-pg278q-g-sync-pb287q-gaming-monitor/1
Asus PG278Q = 27" , 2560x1440, TN, Gsync, 120hz, price unknown, avail in next few months
Asus PB278Q = "4k" 38240x2160 (sometimes called 'quad HD'), TN, G-sync , Probably not more than 60hz I'm guessing, ERP $799 , 2nd qtr

MSRP is $799 USD for the PG278Q

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-rog-pg278q-nvidia-g-sync-monitor,25597.htmll

I found it funny he mentioned if you like the VG series for viewing angles, you will like this display. The VG series has horrid viewing angles lol.

I honestly wouldn't know, I had been holding onto a Viewsonic CRT for dear life hoping it would last long enough for a decent LCD to finally emerge. Unfortunately I had to get rid of it a couple of weeks ago as it was exhibiting major distortion and loss of brightness which were killing my eyes. Instead I am now using a borrowed Samsung 2233RZ which is also killing my eyes thanks to the shitty low resolution, low DPI and horrible AG coating. I am just glad someone is finally pushing into the 1440P space of gaming monitors even if it is only with a TN panel, hopefully it will spur other suppliers to offer better products.

Can you tell there is an AG coating just from that youtube video?

We will see. The author of that article could still have been confused between the two models in regard to their prices.

The PG278Q is going to be TN and 120hz, which means it will not only have higher motion definition showing more frequent and more recent frames of action (at very high fps), but it will be high enough hz so that you can use the "superior to lightboost" function of g-sync to get zero blur instead of the variable hz function of g-sync (they are mutually exclusive).

I don't understand how Lightboost and G-sync are supposed to be mutually exclusive? Lightboost is blur reduction, while gsync reduces tearing... Gsync on a 1440p gaming monitor makes sense because of low lag and framerate dips associated w the higher res.

Oh i get it. Superior function for blur reduction... Neat

G-Sync helps out a lot with image smoothness, image clarity (no tearing) and with slower machines and/or games with wild FPS swings.

For really fast computers that can maintain FPS 100+, the motion clarity of Lightboost will be better.

We will see. The author of that article could still have been confused between the two models in regard to their prices.

1518226_614179311970630_2007522596_o.jpg

I also notice it says 'starting at $799' - I wonder if that is just marketing gobbledegook or if there are really different options. Hopefully it's not $799 without G-Sync and another $200 for the G-Sync model..

I also notice it says 'starting at $799' - I wonder if that is just marketing gobbledegook or if there are really different options. Hopefully it's not $799 without G-Sync and another $200 for the G-Sync model..

I doubt that since its specifically being marketed with G-sync.

I (hopefully) doubt it too.. it just seems to strange to say something 'starts at' a certain price if there are no options.

Back