Asus A8V. I give up

LoneWolf said:
Translation...you lack the and tolerance required to be a good tech. Please turn in your tech card now, and rather than being upset with the AMD scene, consider that it could be you got one dud board out of a batch of good ones and that RMA-ing might have solved everything. Furthermore, it looks like your lack of patience led to you taking your temper out on a system board you could have RMA-ed successfully.

After working with multiple brands of boards for both Intel and AMD CPUs, even the best brands I've seen have a defect rate. You too, could get one of these on occasion. I've also seen situations (including those of my own) where because I didn't know something about a piece of hardware, I blamed the hardware or a defective part when there was just a setting or issue I needed to know about to get things running. It required patience.

I agree. I damn near cried my first time setting up that same mobo with SATA drives. It didnt even post the first time. Patience is virtue man, especially when it comes to money.

Sorry, I'm not going to read all the posts. Did you try memtest86? Its the first thing everybody should do before anything else on a new computer. From you first post it sounds like the memory was bad

This thread is funny. All you had to do was RMA the motherboard and wait a few days. If that didn't work, then you would RMA the processor.

Nicely done Icewind

I've been having the same problems with the A8V at work on a few customer's new rigs. With the thing NOT posting at all and problems mainly with memory and strangley with the newer 3500's.

I've solved the issues using one of the following methods:

1. Inserting RAM in other slots (it wouldn't take it in DIMM1 for some reason in single channel, but it worked on the other slots....)
2. RAM must be put in Dual Channel mode (I had this one board where it had to be put in Dual Channel or it wouldn't even post, it wouldn't post in single channel).
3. Try other Memory sticks and repeat the above.

That's just to get it to post.

I also have a few other issues with the board, mainly all due with the recent ones. The older versions of these boards ie. the ones before 1008 never had suffered these kinds of problems.

Other than that once the board is solved, the board itself is actually a pretty good board.

Snapped in half...:eek: RMA would've been a much better choice. If you really wanted to get the majority of your money back, you could've RMA'ed the board, then sold it here. I'm sure someone would've taken it off your hands for a reasonable price.

But to each their own

lol theres times i wanna snap shit but u know what i do...grab a hammer...and a old 8 mb video card...grasp hammer firmly and release anger on that...also old sdram would work also..basically what im sayin...DONT BREAK EXPENSIVE STUFF...lol :D :D i jsut broke my mobo accident i mite add..so im buyin a abit nf7-s v 2.0 ... man if u really snapped that..you could have given me the money for a new mobo ;) :p anywho better luck next time..

I got in here late but saw this thread from searching something else.

You have to run your A8V at 2336 timings if you get random crashes. Same thing happened to me. The board will default to the memory SPD timings of 2225, but Corsair PC3200XLPro has memory errors, so you need to run at 2336.

Does the A8V post after the Via and Promise screens. If so mine just did this the other day. Replaced it w/ AV8 no probs yet.

I had the same problems with this stupid motherboard :mad:
At the end, I found the solution. For whatever reasons, it would boot and work fine if memory
speed was at 333MHz. Even slight oc to stock speed (DDR400) would cause reboots and random crashes.
Tried several different brands(1 or 2sticks) of recommended memory with same results.
Ah well, thankfully, I don't have that mobo anymore.
cheers

Back