ASUS A8V Boot problems

SanchoMB

Weaksauce
Right, recently i bought a load of new parts for my pc, basically everything is new. My problem is that when i power on i get nothing on my screen, just the "No Signal" as you would get if it wasnt plugged in. Ive tried testing the ram in different slots and that doesnt fix it. I was advised to tear it down and rebuild it and ive done that and its still bust. I need some ideas on what to do. I had the feeling that maybe my mobo is faulty becuase the fans dont run from the 3 pin headers off of the mobo and it doesnt give any activity from the LED. I figure that there should be beeps from the speaker if there is something wrong, or a bios error, but there isnt anything. Just runs as if it was working like normal. Im pretty sure my graphics card is fine because it worked great before i took it from my old pc. Anyone got any advice before i RMA the board?
Thanks.

I had a similar problem with my A8V, no post, but the fans would spin up and the power light come on. I tried several different troubleshooting ideas but none worked. I RMA'd the board to ASUS, still waiting on it since Jan 5th, but it looks like the delay is UPS's fault then ASUS's. Hope to get it back soon.

glad to hear that it's not just me, out of interest, what are the other specs of your machine?

First off, disconnect the fans ('cept the HSF) from the board if you're trying to troubleshoot it. Second, does the BIOS chip have the version printed on it? Third, are you using a Winchester? If the board was sitting on a shelf for months (that is, since before Nov) it could have an old BIOS which doesn't recognize the Winnie though it should still boot with one stick of RAM to enable you to flash it.

The fans could be causing current problems if they're heavy duty ones, only reason I advised disconnecting them, otherwise it does sound like something's faulty.

Im using a 3500+ newcastle chip, and the board is a rev2 aswell so its not that. Ive sent my return slip to the site, thinking of swapping it for the Abit av8 3rd eye, which was my original choice but it was out of stock, and does anyone know where i can find a 4pin ATX +12v extension cable?

Dumb question....which ram slots are you using?

Ram for me only worked with 2 sticks in slot 1 and 3...if i tried just 1 in slot 1, it would turn on, but not boot....just sit there. I can boot right up with a single stick in slot 3.

Um, the ram if you're using one stick has to be in the B1 slot, which is the second blue slot, otherwise it won't boot like you describe. Did you reseat the heatsink/fan? I know it's dumb but make sure the connectors are all in securely, the 4pin and the other main 24pin (it's 24pins right?, lol). Double check your jumper settings too. Not much I can think of. I had the same problem with my bro's but I when I switched the ram to the 2nd blue (B1, I think, first blue in the second set furthest from the cpu) it worked fine.

Hook up your speakers to the built in sound card. It might say an error message.

When I got mine it would say "System failed cpu test" over and over. I tried rmaing the board but it tested fine. After all this I ended up buying a new power supply, and the board has been running fine ever since. My original power supply was an antec 380S. That old power supply is working in my old athlon xp rig just fine. I'm not sure if there's some weird compatality issues or what. I am using an Enermax Noisetaker 485W now.

its wierd, i tried that and i have nothing. Not a sausage. Which leads me to think that theres some sort of corruption with the agp slot, becuase everything else seems to run fine. Its definatly something ive never come across before.

I would try it if i could, somewhere in my house i have a 32mb rage gfx card. But i cant find it, my attic is like a pc graveyard with all the parts up there.

RMA'd my mobo and cpu and they both tested fine. I tested my 6600gt and my ram in a friends pc and they both tested fine. I can only think that the problem may lie in the HDD, so i have another ordered for tomorrow, If that doesnt work im at a loss. Can anyone help me?

Dont know what i did this morning but after i was playing with it i plugged in my speakers, not only did i get 3 beeps but i got a voice message saying "System failed CPU test". Now, unless when i RMA'd the cpu they didnt actually test it or there is something else i can do is anyones guess. I think im going to give ASUS a ring to see what i can come up with.

Now that you got 3 beeps and the message, you can visit the AMI bios pages and try to find more info.
Search yahoo for the term AMI bios beep codes and you'll find a page like this.
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm
3 short beeps on this page seems to think it is a memory problem.
Here's a thread on AnandTech talking about a similar problem.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1463102
To find these threads, I searched on the terms Asus A8V Bios Beep Codes

i think that was because i was playing about with the ram; putting it in different slots etc. I dont get anything apart from the "System Failed CPU test". Another thing i have noticed is that the HDD activity LED doesnt flash or anything, i know the LED works and its in the right pins but its refusing to do anything.

slpaulson said:
Hook up your speakers to the built in sound card. It might say an error message.

When I got mine it would say "System failed cpu test" over and over. I tried rmaing the board but it tested fine. After all this I ended up buying a new power supply, and the board has been running fine ever since. My original power supply was an antec 380S. That old power supply is working in my old athlon xp rig just fine. I'm not sure if there's some weird compatality issues or what. I am using an Enermax Noisetaker 485W now.

THis sounds exactly the same as what i am experiencing, hmm. Maybe i'll try a new PSU. Ive tried everything else -_-

Back