Asus A8N-VM CSM

Firelord

Limp Gawd
I have got one of these boards for an uncles PC and I have to say its the worst board I have used in a long time! Its got a long list of problems with the board and the BIOS updates don't seem to do much...

So far whats wrong is:

• Can't boot with anything other than 400MHz 8 bit NB link
  • Crap BIOS layout
  • Poor instructions
  • Poor accessory bundle

It's the worst implementation i've worked on so far. What do people think of it?

Flyboat

Gawd
You should add a fan to the northbridge, and a heatsink to southbridge. This board can be overheated easily.

Firelord

Limp Gawd
Need to keep the machine as quiet as possible as its for aunt/uncle so needs to be kept stock as well.

Its got an Opty 150 and as standard its pumping 1.46v through it not the 1.39/1.4v that I get from my Foxconn or biostar

kenyee

Limp Gawd
when you updated the BIOS, did you reset to defaults?
The defaults set the HT to 800....

buzzly

Limp Gawd
Asus A8N-VM CSM
The CSM = Corporate Stable Model. That will explain why every possible adjustments are missing. It has no OC, little Bios adjustment, poor sound, and poor documentation...

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
yeah, I got that board for my dad's PC. Very disappointed with the complete lack of adjustments. I will certainly do more homework next time I am looking for a work-PC mobo. I had planned to undervolt the CPU in order to keep it a tad cooler.... that never happend :(

MD_Willington

2[H]4U
CSM... it's for home office machines... For me it was a toss up between it and the Biostar Tforce 6100-939... I got the biostar.

aiya

[H]ard|Gawd
basically the Asus A8N-VM CSM is a oem mobo. many companies use it, ie. HP, Gateway, etc. hence it lacks options. IMO, if your considering this mobo, your better off just buying a HP or Gateway since they use the exact same mobo and they are pretty cheap for a whole computer.

clarknova

n00b
I use this board and I love it.
I dont overclock I just want a stable mATX board that will run the latest components and this thing just works.
Since the 0702 BIOS update I have had ZERO issues with it.
Im running AMD X2 4400 with a Geforce7800 and 2 gigs of ram and the machine runs like a champ.

MD_Willington

2[H]4U
clarknova said:
I use this board and I love it.
I dont overclock I just want a stable mATX board that will run the latest components and this thing just works.
Since the 0702 BIOS update I have had ZERO issues with it.
Im running AMD X2 4400 with a Geforce7800 and 2 gigs of ram and the machine runs like a champ.
Exactly what the board was built for.. I'm just building an A64 for home office apps and some older games... that's it.

kenyee

Limp Gawd
It's also the only mATX board I know of that supports ECC memory...

Firelord

Limp Gawd
I have reset the CMOS so many times with this motherboard its untrue. I can't get 1T, anything other than 8 bit xfer and 400 HTT.

What a disappointment. I hate Asus bios's as they suck compared to standard AWARD bios's.

Unfortunately it was the only board left that my supplier had and it was a priority ship