Asus A8N-E

CompuDrew

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
9,722
Asus A8N-E

I know this A8N-E recently came out, but I was wondering if anyone has gotten one or heard anything about it yet?
 
I hope it OC's better than the A8N-SLI :). Looks like a nice board though.
 
kirbyrj said:
I hope it OC's better than the A8N-SLI :). Looks like a nice board though.
Yes, it looks very nice. Now I can't decide if I want the MSI Neo4 Platinum (Non-SLI) or the Asus A8N-E! Man, life is rough! ;)
 
CompuDrew,
I actually was just going to post the exact same question.
Has anyone done any reviews on the Asus A8N-E? I have always been an asus fan, and bought Asus boards, but I am not sure about their NF4 Ultra.
I sure know that the MSI board looks better.
Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am looking to purchase my new board this week.

Thanks.
 
N_Raged said:
Why couldn't it be a black PCB instead of icky yellow.. :(

I meant looks nice in terms of features not color :). Since it's a "2nd" generation ASUS NF4, I'd imagine it would perform well.
 
<snip>
crypt1c.0 said:
Has anyone done any reviews on the Asus A8N-E?
Thanks.

I haven't been able to find any yet, but I'm looking.

I'll be ordering a new board in 11 days (not that I'm counting or anything LOL) so hopefully someone reviews it soon. I've had a great experience with Asus, so I'll probably get it.
 
It should be just as good as any other Asus board. It looks like a non-SLi A8N. Which is fine if your into single video cards.

As far as the PCB color, it's typical Asus styling. No more, no less. I personally don't give a rats @$$ what it looks like as long as the layout, features and performance are good.

As far as this board vs. the MSI board, I'd personally go Asus. I replace MSI's all to often in the tech shop I work in.
 
Whazup!?!

I just ordered my A8N-E from Newegg. I was a little weary of doing so since Asus still doesn't have the board up on there site yet, and I'm thinking (in my tweaked out head) they werent putting it on there b/c of some board issues or who knows what. But, thats just me being a way to cautious end user. I need to buy my processor. Anyone have thoughts on AMD's newest?

I was thinking of buying the 3800+ Newcastle. I am not planning on doing much overclocking so it is important to me to have some decent speed at stock-clock. I like the newer Winchester cores and their 90nm design for heat and energy efficiency, but I really want something faster than the 3500+.

What to do....any advice???

Thanks!
 
brachy33, I'm going the 3800 route. -For the same reson(s) you are thinking of heading in that direction.
 
Yeah, sounds good to me compudrew. I dont think that I have it in me (or my wallet) to spend any more than $400 for a processor. That 3800+ looks to be some fine engineering. I have been using a socket 754 3200+ Newcastle, so I hope that the speed difference is noticable. Also, I would imagine that with the new NF4 ultra (as i have been using a DFI NF3 250GB) and a nice new pci-express card, one that hasn't been puchased yet, will make for a sweet azz gaming rig!!

b33
 
Thank you everyone for your input. I think I am going to go with my instinct and get the Asus board.
I am most likley going to get the new AMD 3500 venice core and over clock it, instead of paying the money for the 3800.
I dont believe after over clocking there would be much difference in performace between the two, unless of course you want to go the next step up to the 4000 which comes with that sweet 1MB of cache! :)

Cant wait until april 4th!!!!
 
I bought this board from Newegg, installed it and everything looked ok at first.

Then weird stuff started to happen, random lock ups, needing to reset a few times before it would boot, and then finally nothing. The machine wouldn't boot, but all fans, cards etc. would have power.

I just happened to touch the NB heatsink when I was removing my Video card and the heatsink shifted a little with a sickening grinding noise. I think the NForce4 is toast. This is something to watch out for.

I'm going to RMA the board on Monday.

I agree with you all, the feature set looks good but asthetically, the board could be better.

Good luck.
 
I got this board and set it up on Tuesday 4/5. It is 4/9 today and this board is and has been perforning like a champ. I am very happy with it. I haven't tried overclocking at all yet, but it is a very solid performer so far.
Here's what I have in my new PC:

A8N-E
3800+
Zalman 7000B
Saphire X850XT
Corsair twinx 1024 3200XL
SB Audigy 2 ZS
1 x 60 gig SATA
1 x 250 gig PATA
1 x Lite On 16x DVDRW
1 x Lite On DVD
Antec Neo Power 480

Coming from a 2.53 P4 with a 9500 pro, I'm a VERY happy camper.
 
I was planning on not building a powerhoose machine right now, as the goal is to wire this baby up to the TV. While checking out parts online for the last 3 months towards this goal, my parts spec has changed. I decided why not have my cake and eat it too? Let's game on TV from the couch! I went from:

A sempron, agp board, radeon 9550, ide hdd, dvd, 256mb ram
A64 s754, agp board, radeon 9600, ide hdd, dvd, 512mb ram
a64 s939, agp board, radeon 9600, sata hdd, dvd, 1024mb ram
a64 s939, pci-e board, geforce 6600gt, sata hdd, dvdr, 1024mb ram

My thoughts each time were "well, it's not that much more cash to move up from here" lol

I'm stopping here though. Asus A8N-E for me. The only drawback to this board is a lack of 1394 onboard, but if you don't use 1394, who cares? And if you do eventually, buy a 26 dollar firewire card hehe.

long story short, I ended up a lot more powerful than I initially thought I would. :)
 
Back
Top