ASUS 7970 DirectCU II available now

It still says Auto Notify for me still and I didn't get an email yet. Wonder how there inventory system works. This is probably my next card but I will probably wait a couple weeks so I can hear some reviews on the cooling performance. I like that it's overclocked with better VRMs. A better binned GPU??? Hopefully less likely to have coil whine like my 285 did.

No joke, I ordered mine. I posted here and in less than 30 secs it was OOS. :(

When I bought my PS2 many many years ago right when it came out and I was still on dialup lol, I had a program that would check Amazon's web site every 30 seconds and then press the 'one click buy' button once it was in stock. (you had to set up the account for 1 click buying ahead of time.) I even purchased a second dialup account for that month because my hours ran out for the first account. They were going for $800 on ebay from people scalping them since this was right around Christmas. I got an email saying my ordered was confirmed, then an email later saying my order may be cancelled because of too many orders overwhelming their system and the accuracy of their inventory. But in the end , mine did ship.

I wish Newegg had something like one click buying for situations like this.

Who's betting that Directron actually shipping today vs another "UPS delay" :\

My hopes are not high, to put it mildly. It really seems like Asus is just dribbling these things out in onesy-twosy type shipments. Every time Newegg gets some stock, they're gone in <3 mins. And somehow I'm doubting that our friends at Directron are able to secure them with higher priority than a retailer like Newegg.

Got a call from Directron - they will not be getting the video cards in. I'm not sure if this means ever, or just in the next month or so, but the rep told me that their distributor simply can't get them, so basically that's the bottom line.

On the other hand, he said what they did get in (and are holding for the preorders) was the non-overclocked version of the same card. The "non-T" version:

They got this one, not this one

So I need to decide if I still want the order or not. Seems like a reasonably decent price even for a non-OC model considering the better cooling and outputs. If I'm honest, I'd say that my decision is definitely going to be influenced because I'm getting impatient, considering it looks like widespread availability of the OC models appears to be at least a month or two off.

So the question is, is the 75MHz factory overclock worth waiting for/taking my chances with really limited quantities on Newegg? Anyone with experience with this kind of thing?

Got a call from Directron - they will not be getting the video cards in. I'm not sure if this means ever, or just in the next month or so, but the rep told me that their distributor simply can't get them, so basically that's the bottom line.

On the other hand, he said what they did get in (and are holding for the preorders) was the non-overclocked version of the same card. The "non-T" version:

They got this one, not this one

So I need to decide if I still want the order or not. Seems like a reasonably decent price even for a non-OC model considering the better cooling and outputs. If I'm honest, I'd say that my decision is definitely going to be influenced because I'm getting impatient, considering it looks like widespread availability of the OC models appears to be at least a month or two off.

So the question is, is the 75MHz factory overclock worth waiting for/taking my chances with really limited quantities on Newegg? Anyone with experience with this kind of thing?
Thanks for the info. I might start looking at other retailers now too..

I'm also wondering if the 75Mhz OC is worth it just purely based on if Asus bins there chips.

hmmm
i got a call from directron just now
they told me my card is shipping today nothing about non-oc version

I called Directron about 20 minutes ago. Hate to put it this way, but the sales rep seemed really disinterested and a bit annoyed at what I assume are many calls regarding this product. Nonetheless, he told me that they aren't getting any in in the foreseeable future, and he didn't know when else they were going to come in. He did tell me that of the 17 preorders from 2/2, they were going to call 10 and cancel because they only had 7 in stock.

Not a great situation with these cards :(

Last edited:
Well, just got off the phone with Directron (I decided to go with the Non-OC card), but I was wrong - they did NOT have the non-OC Direct Cool II version, they just had the reference card (non-DC2). So screw that. I canceled and I'm back on the hunt. :mad:

I just called in since I missed there call this morning and the guy mentioned it's being shipped today and I should get it on Thursday. I'm not sure if he's aware of orders being cancelled but I hope what he told me is accurate. My status still says "Processing". Same with you guys?

I placed my order at 8PM CST. So only an hour after a couple of you guys

Mine from newegg should be waiting for me at home after work...

Kinda glad Directron was already not taking pre-orders by the time I saw their listing. Good luck to those of you getting screwed by what sounds like a poorly implemented system.

Got a call today that mine is shipping. They said nothing about not getting the OC version I ordered.

me 2 :)

Lets just hope these are actually the DirectCu Top 1000Mhz version and not the normal DirectCu or reference

If any of you guys that are getting the CUII are unhappy with it or find that a three slot card is too much, I will buy it from you at a premium price or I will trade you my two slot XFX 7970 Black DD + Cash for the 7970 CUII.

I got a triple Samsung A750 portrait eyefinity setup that needs a card with 3 or more displayport outs to get the full 120hz benefit of my third panel.

My XFX DD Black
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/GPUOrgy2.jpg

My setup:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/FW900Action2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/s27sportrait.jpg

Last edited:
Just got my tracking info also - NDA to arrive at work tomorrow!!! Now I just have to return my Asus reference 7970...

Keep us posted guys put up some results on temps and overclocks!

You bastards! It's gonna be a long time before these come around again for me to pick one up :(

Enjoy the cards and post some results!

If any of you guys that are getting the CUII are unhappy with it or find that a three slot card is too much, I will buy it from you at a premium price or I will trade you my two slot XFX 7970 Black DD + Cash for the 7970 CUII.

I got a triple Samsung A750 portrait eyefinity setup that needs a card with 3 or more displayport outs to get the full 120hz benefit of my third panel.

My XFX DD Black
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/GPUOrgy2.jpg

My setup:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/FW900Action2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/s27sportrait.jpg

What about selling your 7970?

Got mine installed, but actually found my cables to be too short, so unable to test much.

Since people seem to be keeping an eye on such things:

ASIC on the ASUS is: 76%
ASIC on ref Sapphire: 87%

Immediately noticed a significant reduction in noise. The ASUS idles at 10% and the Sapphire can now idle at 20% and both stay pretty cool. Once the cables show up from monoprice I'll set up cross-finity and see what explodes.

Got mine installed, but actually found my cables to be too short, so unable to test much.

Since people seem to be keeping an eye on such things:

ASIC on the ASUS is: 76%
ASIC on ref Sapphire: 87%

Immediately noticed a significant reduction in noise. The ASUS idles at 10% and the Sapphire can now idle at 20% and both stay pretty cool. Once the cables show up from monoprice I'll set up cross-finity and see what explodes.

How is your crossfire setup?

is the asus dcu2 ontop and the sapphire reference at the bottom?

I'm tempted to get an asus dcu2 too with it being the main one and saphire reference at the bottom to suck out the hot air to prevent the top card inhaling the bottom card's hot hair.

My shipping guy just brought a package to me - I have the DC2T sitting on my desk right now! I think I am starting to feel a cold coming on - maybe I should head home...

My shipping guy just brought a package to me - I have the DC2T sitting on my desk right now! I think I am starting to feel a cold coming on - maybe I should head home...

You think that's bad I'm sitting in a meeting on my birthday (today) and my iphone just popped up that UPS dropped it off. ha ha I feel like a little kid today. The reason I'm not in a rush to go home is that I'm still waiting on the 3930 C2 to be in stock.

How is your crossfire setup?

is the asus dcu2 ontop and the sapphire reference at the bottom?

I'm tempted to get an asus dcu2 too with it being the main one and saphire reference at the bottom to suck out the hot air to prevent the top card inhaling the bottom card's hot hair.

I've got the ASUS on "top" and the Sapphire as slave. I'll check temps as soon as I actually set up x-fire. Right now I've got one monitor connected to the Sapphire with extended display waiting for longer DP cables to show up. Then I'll slap on the Xfire bridge and see what happens with load temps, but keep in mind, I'm in the FT-02, so mine are veritcally oriented already. I'm just trying to let the big fans work with the GPU fans to keep things cool.

Idle temps if I remember right were in the low-mid 20s on the Sapphire, and maybe up in the mid-30s on the ASUS, both at stock settings right now.

You think that's bad I'm sitting in a meeting on my birthday (today) and my iphone just popped up that UPS dropped it off. ha ha I feel like a little kid today. The reason I'm not in a rush to go home is that I'm still waiting on the 3930 C2 to be in stock.

Yeah same here, I can't believe how long it is taking Intel to get any 3930k stock to the major online retailers in the US when they've been showing up in countries across Europe and in Japan for the last few weeks.

Last edited:

Kinda the opposite for me. I bit on the 3960X and now I'm just waiting for two of this very elusive DCU IIs.

No doubt about it, it's what we ordered :D

bhjg4y.jpg

Back