Asus 120Hz VG236H Available to buy now!

The 120Hz monitors are too much of a price premium IMO. Good to see something new on the market though :). I just picked up the new ASUS VE276Q 27" model, waiting for it to arrive.

Last edited:
Saw this earlier, kinda would be nice to be able to get a version without the glasses bundled though... for those doing 3d vision surround (though I guess you could sell the 2 extra pairs). I keep hearing 120hz alone even makes a huge difference in quality, let alone 3d or surround.

Last edited:
Actually I would buy this one over the LG one but I would be coming from a 27" to 23 just for 3D and 120Hz which I hear is awesome from just about everyone who has experienced it and waiting for the bigger version of the Asus would mean fall/hoiday, hmm what to do what to do!

Yeah, I'm on a 30" 2560x1600 Dell 3007WFP-HC right now... I keep getting tempted by 3d vision and/or surround but I can't imagine the color quality loss on a TN, and going down so much in resolution + size. The Asus 27" TN 120hz would at least help the size issue but as you said it's not out until the end of the year.

Yeah, I'm on a 30" 2560x1600 Dell 3007WFP-HC right now... I keep getting tempted by 3d vision and/or surround but I can't imagine the color quality loss on a TN, and going down so much in resolution + size. The Asus 27" TN 120hz would at least help the size issue but as you said it's not out until the end of the year.

HUH, you can power those monitors on GTX 460SLI?

Oh sorry, I thought you were going or already using 3 monitors

Looks like Newegg just got them in and they come bundled with 3D Vision Kit for $499! Myself I' am waiting for the LG monitor to hit the states but thought I would share this with those that were waiting for this monitor :)

Why are you waiting for the LG? How is it better than the other 120hz monitors?

and......DAMNIT! I was waiting for the Asus to drop but not for $500! :( I don't care about the 3D glasses. Guess its going to be either Alienware (when it goes on sale again), Acer or the LG.

I am in the market for a new monitor and I am considering getting 120hz but sense I am using an ATi Video card I dont need the glasses. I like how this monitor has the controls on the front. I hate having the buttons on the back edge and not having any labels you cant see.
If this monitor comes out w/o the glasses I just might grab one of these.

One thing I noticed on my 23" compared to my 30" Dell is the lack of (or different?) AG on the 23". I never really paid much attention to the AG on the 30", but now that I have the two monitors side by side, I can notice it instantly. It almost adds a "grainy" effect to the picture. Many don't notice it at all though.

Also, for some reason, the 23" inch screen looks sharper. This might be a byproduct of the AG coating on the Dell.

The good part for you going to a 23", if you choose too, is your two GTX 460s would probably work wonders at that resolution and allow for some pretty high levels of FSAA.

Not sure of this helps out or not, but since you and I have the same display, only I also have a 23" (albeit a standard 60hz, not a 120hz), I figured I might be able to offer some insight.

I' am so close to pulling the trigger for this monitor, whats holding me is I currently have a 28" so since I waited this long I might as well wait for the Asus 27" to come out before the end of the year. I really don't want to go down in size to much. I honestly think we will see the 27" within 3 months or less and I believe the delay is probably due to the complaining about the stand so they are re doing it :).

I could only wish that the Asus 27" would be out in 3 months or less, and I really want 3D now. But no word from Asus has me thinking more like end of year - if at all... :(

One thing I noticed on my 23" compared to my 30" Dell is the lack of (or different?) AG on the 23". I never really paid much attention to the AG on the 30", but now that I have the two monitors side by side, I can notice it instantly. It almost adds a "grainy" effect to the picture. Many don't notice it at all though.

Yeah, I do notice it... it's a good bit worse (though not terrible) than my Dell 2005FPW was. I'm looking to do a 120hz surround setup with 3 displays if I go for it, and at that point I may as well grab glasses as well heh :). Only thing that worries me is the TN color quality... I've been using S-IPS panels for a very long time and have noticed TN panels look far far worse even when you're positioned for straight-on viewing angles. I can't imagine with three of 'em where you can't be straight-on.

The colors on my Alienwares is actually decent for a TN, sure not as good and an IPS panel but the other thing to consider is the refresh rate. To me its MUCH easier on the eyes for text. I think the 120Hz refresh rate is more important to me than color accuracy as its just been a relief for more old eyes.

But will definitely hope on board for the first 120Hz IPS monitor on the market!

Looks pretty sweet, but I think I'll be holding off for 3 months or so to see if anything better comes around, like the LG or 27" Asus. Especially since I don't have any use for the glasses right now.

LOL, the ETA in swedish stores is 12 dec while its already available in Germany. \o/

Cant decide if I should buy it or wait for the viewsonic and benq monitors to come out. Is it a fact that the viewsonic monitor uses the same panel as the acer?

Anyone know anything about the specs on the benq display? Cant find anything except the announcement: http://www.zath.co.uk/benq-zowie-co-develop-high-performance-gaming-monitor/

edit: The ETA has been changed and its available now.

Last edited:
I bought one of these today from the egg, should get here by the end of the week. I'll be hooking this up to my laptop (which is also made by Asus w/ GTX 260M). I wont be able to use the 3D features with my current setup, although my future desktop build will, so I dont feel it's money wasted.

After I run it thru its paces I'll let y'all know how it performs.

I hope that they have this at the DeoDeo in Japan. Ill be going back this weekend and want one :)

Got my new ASUS monitor yesterday. So far...

Color reproduction on this is just beautiful. Blacks are very black. The default brightness setting is too high IMO, but that's easy enough to tweak. After 5 min of playing around in the menu with preset modes and adjusting individual settings, I have the picture right where I want it. Also, this is my first LCD that has a 2ms GTG refresh, and it makes a huge difference playing games (I'm a TF2 fiend). I'm not seeing any ghosting; movement and action on the screen are fluid.

To be able to utilize 120Hz refresh rate, you HAVE to connect this monitor via the dual-DVI link cable provided. Unfortunately my laptop does not have a DVI out. I am currently connected via HDMI, and it's limit is 60Hz.

I also cannot use the nVidia 3D glasses because of the above-mentioned cabling issue.

In the next few months I will *finally* be able to build a new desktop system that will allow me to use all of the features of this monitor, so once that happens I can revisit this thread and give a more thorough opinion.

So far though, I really enjoy this monitor.

You're that excited before you've used 120Hz? Just wait until you test TF2 with 120Hz and you'll be like OMGWTF how did I put up with the 60Hz crap! ;)

Hi. So I've been having some major issues with these monitors.

I purchased one last week, and, though it was fine at first, a dead pixel appeared shortly after use, located at the top left of the display (perhaps I just hadn't noticed it at first). So I returned it (after paying a 5% restocking fee to Canada Computers), and picked up another one. This time, there was a dead pixel immediately noticeable at the bottom right hand corner about the same distance away from the centre as the previous one (like a mirror image). Again, I returned the monitor and payed another restocking fee, and brought another one home. And, again, another similarly positioned dead pixel, this time at the top right. Luckily, this time I only had to pay $5 for pixel insurance... hah. I haven't tried for a 4th time lucky yet. I'm thinking of going with the LG.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I've done some research and haven't heard of anything similar. This is very disappointing, as I love the display.

No dead pixels so far, but the backlight bleeding is somewhat apparent, as are absolutely terrible color shifting (flaw of TN technology unfortunately). I am happy with the low response of the panel and 120hz refresh rate however, it's an acceptable trade-off for gaming.

Also, vertical viewing angles are absolute garbage.

I agree that it's a good gaming 'trade-off'. I don't really care about the backlight bleed, and the colours are good enough for me lol.

But Kubebot, i'm wondering the same thing. What happened with your previous two?

I'm considering picking up another one of these today to see if I get lucky this time, considering no stores in my area sell the LG or BenQ, which would be my 2nd and 3rd choices ;S.

Okay, I just plugged in my newest VG236H (that's number 4) - and there's a dead pixel above and to the right of the centre of the screen, again. Maybe there's just a bad batch going around. It's annoying as hell though. I'll likely order an LG or BenQ.

I have a dead pixel in the upper left of mine, but I decided to live with it. It's only affecting one color, so I'd have to go out of my way to see it.

My 1st monitor had a stuck green pixel. 2nd had a dead pixel show up after a couple days of use.
All of these were from Frys open box (gee I wonder why). Fountain Valley and Anaheim didn't have any brand new ones left.

Huh, interesting. I've seen very little negative feedback about this model regarding dead pixels... The place where I bought mine (Canada Computers @ Markham, ON) isn't open box though. It seems all of their VG236Hs have pixel issues though ;/.

Is it like halfway between the centre and the corner (roughly)?

No, it's about 5 inches from the left and 3/4 an inch down. It only shows up as a dead pixel when I do an all-green screen. It works in blue and red. So like I said, I'd have to actually try to find it to see it.

Yeah that's not so bad. Mine also has similar colour issues - blue, red, purple screens you can't even see it. But lighter ones, like green, teal, yellow, etc., it shows up.

Oh well. I've decided to live with it ;/.

Just a side note - I've tried to contact ASUS several times over the last week, and it consistently rings twice, cuts off, and then rings busy. I've also sent them a pretty detailed email, to which they've yet to respond.

Back