Astroneer

damstr

[H]ard|Gawd
Saw this at the recent games con or whatever that event is called and really really liked the look and gameplay of the game.

If you haven't see it, here is a pre alpha lets play that the devs put together. It gives a really brief but good representation of the game and what we can expect. Probably the coolest thing is how you can tunnel and build terrain and structure on the fly.

astroneer - YouTube

Picked this up tonight. It's actually pretty fun. Just got killed by a windstorm though, on day two. It doesn't pull punches.

I'm guessing it compares to those like Grav, Planetary Explorers, ARK, Pulsar: Lost Colony etc... but has less of a combat focus?

Played with 2 other friends last night. You create a new game session and invite them via Steam. Worked perfectly! We went out and gathered resources, built up a base and eventually a space ship. Flew around in space and looks like there will be multiple planets to travel to. Two of us were able to ride the ship to the nearest planet and gather resources. I think its an alpha bug, the moment we landed both our game clients crashed.

So far Im very impressed by this game, well worth the $19 spent!

Played with 2 other friends last night. You create a new game session and invite them via Steam. Worked perfectly! We went out and gathered resources, built up a base and eventually a space ship. Flew around in space and looks like there will be multiple planets to travel to. Two of us were able to ride the ship to the nearest planet and gather resources. I think its an alpha bug, the moment we landed both our game clients crashed.

So far Im very impressed by this game, well worth the $19 spent!

Wow.. I didn't get nearly that far. Still kinda stumbling around, but I agree, it's pretty damn fun so far. I've taken to tunneling like crazy, so I don't need to walk around terrain and waste O2.

This game is like No Mans Sky meets Osiris. Minimalist (but clean) UI. Fairly relaxing (in its current iteration), and enjoyable. Still has a lot of way to go, but I expect good things from this. What I don't like so much is all the research hunting. Also, a lot of things are just too easy to craft. I expect that will change soon enough (ie. more complicated crafting recipes).

What did you think of Osiris?

It had promise, but needed a lot of work. Give it another 6-12 months and see how it develops. All it was at the stage it was at was mostly resource gathering.

It had promise, but needed a lot of work. Give it another 6-12 months and see how it develops. All it was at the stage it was at was mostly resource gathering.

And the AI pathfinding was in need of some major work from the videos I watched. They couldn't detect objects so they'd just run in place.

For those interested in this game, there are plenty of Let's Plays on YT. I'm linking Biffa's Astroneer Ep. 10. In this video, he's left the starter planet, and is working on creating a base on a new one.

I just started out and am finding a lot to like. But damn it's real early access.

Man, is anyone playing this? I just got an email that it's on sale and it's definitely appealing to my NMS senses:

upload_2019-11-15_14-40-8.png

Overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam, too. I might have a new game to play this weekend...only thing is it seems to favor multiplayer so I might put this off til the Christmas sale and hope for a 50% discount, but looking for opinions from anyone who's played.

I've been playing this for a while and absolutely adore it. It's the only survival/building game that I've ever been able to get into. It definitely leans to the casual side and that suits me just fine. It's just a great game to kick back and chill with. Never played MP but I can see that being a lot of fun.

Just enough of a learning curve to feel rewarding, but I don't feel like I have to dedicate time to researching the game outside of playing it.

Most importantly, it doesn't feel "grindy", at least not to me. As much as I've tried to get into NMS it just becomes a chore.

Thanks man! That sounds great. Good to know that you're really enjoying it without even using the multiplayer mode.

polonyc2 might be interested in reading about this game. I believe one of his criticisms of NMS was that there were darn near unlimited planets, but not much of interest on any of them. I think it was him that said he'd be much more interested in having fewer planets that were crafted with more love and attention and focus as opposed to being randomly generated balls of barren nothingness. Of course, the game has changed a lot with the patches...the gameplay loop is less tedious/grindy now and there's more to do, but still - this game looks like it could appeal to those who didn't fully enjoy or appreciate NMS for what it is.

I love a good kick back and chill game, and that's largely what I used NMS for. I actually didn't pursue most of the missions and what not...for me it was all about being alone and exploring this vast universe while not having to be anywhere or do anything.

Sounds like I'll be picking this one up. Appreciate the feedback!

Back