Astroneer

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by damstr, Aug 27, 2016.

1. damstr

damstr [H]ard|Gawd

Saw this at the recent games con or whatever that event is called and really really liked the look and gameplay of the game.

If you haven't see it, here is a pre alpha lets play that the devs put together. It gives a really brief but good representation of the game and what we can expect. Probably the coolest thing is how you can tunnel and build terrain and structure on the fly.

astroneer - YouTube

2. Ruoh

Ruoh [H]ardness Supreme

Picked this up tonight. It's actually pretty fun. Just got killed by a windstorm though, on day two. It doesn't pull punches.

Comixbooks likes this.
  3. DedEmbryonicCe11

DedEmbryonicCe11 [H]ard|Gawd

How does this differ from Space Engineers? Is it easier to get a base up and running?

4. RanceJustice

RanceJustice [H]ardness Supreme

I'm guessing it compares to those like Grav, Planetary Explorers, ARK, Pulsar: Lost Colony etc... but has less of a combat focus?

5. dR.Jester

dR.Jester 2[H]4U

Played with 2 other friends last night. You create a new game session and invite them via Steam. Worked perfectly! We went out and gathered resources, built up a base and eventually a space ship. Flew around in space and looks like there will be multiple planets to travel to. Two of us were able to ride the ship to the nearest planet and gather resources. I think its an alpha bug, the moment we landed both our game clients crashed.

So far Im very impressed by this game, well worth the $19 spent!

6. Ruoh

Ruoh [H]ardness Supreme

Wow.. I didn't get nearly that far. Still kinda stumbling around, but I agree, it's pretty damn fun so far. I've taken to tunneling like crazy, so I don't need to walk around terrain and waste O2.

7. Pez

Pez [H]ard|Gawd

This game is like No Mans Sky meets Osiris. Minimalist (but clean) UI. Fairly relaxing (in its current iteration), and enjoyable. Still has a lot of way to go, but I expect good things from this. What I don't like so much is all the research hunting. Also, a lot of things are just too easy to craft. I expect that will change soon enough (ie. more complicated crafting recipes).

8. Shantarr

Shantarr Limp Gawd

What did you think of Osiris?

9. Pez

Pez [H]ard|Gawd

It had promise, but needed a lot of work. Give it another 6-12 months and see how it develops. All it was at the stage it was at was mostly resource gathering.

Shantarr likes this.
  10. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

And the AI pathfinding was in need of some major work from the videos I watched. They couldn't detect objects so they'd just run in place.

11. Pez

Pez [H]ard|Gawd

For those interested in this game, there are plenty of Let's Plays on YT. I'm linking Biffa's Astroneer Ep. 10. In this video, he's left the starter planet, and is working on creating a base on a new one.

12. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

I just started out and am finding a lot to like. But damn it's real early access.