Asteroids@home

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
They added a new server back in November. There has been a few headaches come up since then just in case people thought it was on their side. Figured I would give the heads up as we haven't really been pushing this project as a team for a while.

http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=380

teamdaily.php

Last edited:
For more clarification. I quit my job where the servers was stored and I had to move them to my home. There were some problems, first was noise, the second was my router. There are so many connections that even better routers aren't able to handle them, as I discovered, but from start it was working. Then went to holiday for a few days and problem appeared. Also, my new job is in another town so I had to move. I had many work with moving and I also had to fix the problem with router. Now it handles regular desktop pc, Intel C2D with 2 GB RAM, which runs as router. I am now moved and the servers stayed at my last apartment, where I will go to check if there is another problem. I cannot have them now at my new work so it a little complicated, but it should work. I am still not completely moved, I don't have many things with me and I am on limited mobile connection and this flat is also temporarily so I will move again within two months.
So this is my current situation and why there was so many troubles with server now.

Radim

http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=400

Have to admire Radim for keeping with it; the guy has been going through more than his fair share of personal drama, quite a bit of project drama and is having to deal with a bunch of crybaby primadonna crunchers as well. He must be dedicated to this cause because, in all honesty, I would've said "Screw it" by now. :p

Turned this project on yesterday afternoon as I saw someone mention on POGS (which is still gathering dust) that Asteroids was desperate for crunchers. Am seeing a lot of checksum errors, but am pretty sure this is related to GPU/Android WUs being sent to CPU clients. Mind you this is a strict guess based on nothing more than the WU naming convention... so could be wrong.

BTW, I don't see a badge thread for this project. ;) Have achieved Carboneum and Silicum badges with a current RAC of 12,541. :)

Have to admire Radim for keeping with it; the guy has been going through more than his fair share of personal drama, quite a bit of project drama and is having to deal with a bunch of crybaby primadonna crunchers as well. He must be dedicated to this cause because, in all honesty, I would've said "Screw it" by now. :p

Turned this project on yesterday afternoon as I saw someone mention on POGS (which is still gathering dust) that Asteroids was desperate for crunchers. Am seeing a lot of checksum errors, but am pretty sure this is related to GPU/Android WUs being sent to CPU clients. Mind you this is a strict guess based on nothing more than the WU naming convention... so could be wrong.

BTW, I don't see a badge thread for this project. ;) Have achieved Carboneum and Silicum badges with a current RAC of 12,541. :)

Always check here first... ;) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1801908

You will find a link to this: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729746&highlight=badges

Don't know how I missed that! I did search for "Asteroids" first. Guess I'm senile. :)

Just set this up on my Kodi / Xbian Raspberry Pi 3 to make sure it worked (Rosetta was out of work units). Works without a problem and is putting load on a generally idle pi I use for streaming TV from my HD Homerun - now I just need to see how many points it kicks out. With 4 active tasks, the pi is only using 3 watts, so the points per watt could be outstanding.

Yeah..from an efficiency standpoint the ARM devices tend to be really good. Some applications are better than others obviously. However, a single device doesn't usually put out a lot of points so don't share the same love as other hardware. I still have around ~30 Android phones/tablets crunching.

Yeah..from an efficiency standpoint the ARM devices tend to be really good. Some applications are better than others obviously. However, a single device doesn't usually put out a lot of points so don't share the same love as other hardware. I still have around ~30 Android phones/tablets crunching.
I've got 4 Xbian Pis scattered around the house for streaming video, so I'll eventually load them up and see what I can get points wise out of them. 2 are Pi 2bs, so may not even work with Boinc, but as long as they can return work units, I'll let them run at least until a vaccine is out for Covid. I'll pickup a 4Gb Pi 4 to play with as well. I don't need the power for Kodi at this time, but I could justify replacing the Pi 2s early and seeing what I get point wise out of the 4s.

Looks like the Pi 2s and 3s will be doing Asteroids going forward:

Rosetta for Portable Devices needs 1907.35 MB RAM but only 770.35 MB is available for use.

Pi 4, 4GB, here I come.

After been shutdown for maintenance for more than a year, the asteroid@home site is up now. However no tasks are been sent out to volunteers yet though they seem to have over a 1M tasks ready to send out.

Maybe they need to upgrade their 10 year old xeon sandy bridge server for hosting this project. Still using E5-2620. My E5-2670 have higher compute capability. The 2670 is almost "free" in ebay.

I'm sure someone out there have "free" xeon SB/IV servers with better performance than theirs. However shipping from US to Czech is going to be very expensive.

1666619040666.png

After been shutdown for maintenance for more than a year, the asteroid@home site is up now. However no tasks are been sent out to volunteers yet though they seem to have over a 1M tasks ready to send out.

Maybe they need to upgrade their 10 year old xeon sandy bridge server for hosting this project. Still using E5-2620. My E5-2670 have higher compute capability. The 2670 is almost "free" in ebay.

I'm sure someone out there have "free" xeon SB/IV servers with better performance than theirs. However shipping from US to Czech is going to be very expensive.

View attachment 520980
I'm doubting the server is all that taxed from a CPU standpoint. Entire projects get hosted on laptops and raspberry pi's. It is typically the storage medium/size and the network bandwidth that projects are limited by.

Oh yeah? How is the cuda app?
Previously asteroids was not terribly efficient on gpus.

I'm just getting some new work tonight. Not sure if I have it optimized but I'll see if there is an old result and new one to compare.

Way faster than CPU.

Initial credit granted seems low when compare to a fixed credit prior to shutdown. I'll monitor and see how it goes. I'm a point whore, lol

Back