Assassin’s Creed Origins

I picked this up on ubiforward sale on friday. So far I'm unimpressed. It looks just as good as odyssey, but the story is very weak. Odyssey made you immediately like and sympathize with the main character. This bayek guy I don't know who the hell is he, and why should I even care? And then there is that forced failure, then the ponitless walking scene. These should've been all cutscenes. If you can't win an encounter and then all you can do is walk forward why even include it as playable? What's the point? It just made me mad and skipped all the subsequent cutscenes as well. Now I'll never care about this bayek individual.

Gameplay wise it's mostly the same as odyssey, except I can't find where to re-assign controls. The default scheme is stupid. ALT for jump? WHY? Oh there is one more thing, you can't tell when you are being hurt. IT doesn't stand out when the enemy lands a hit vs you blocking or dodging it. The only way I could tell whether I was hit was looking at the health bar.

And the level walling is even more outrageous in this. Enemies that or on your level die like flies two or three hits. It's too easy. But an enemy that is 3 levels above yours instakills you with one or two hits, and you can barely damage it.

This might have been a waste of money on my part.

I picked this up on ubiforward sale on friday. So far I'm unimpressed. It looks just as good as odyssey, but the story is very weak.

Origins' story, for me, was far superior. Odyssey was meandering to me - when I finished the main story it had zero impact on me. It was so bad in my eyes I just didn't give shit as I felt I was groomed for it throughout the game. The choice of continuing to kill off cult members blanketed it - but by that point I just deleted it.

Can you get Helix items from the daily Reda quests or only from the Heka chests?

Are random topless female NPCs normal for this game, or I encountered some kinky bug?

And the level walling is even more outrageous in this. Enemies that or on your level die like flies two or three hits. It's too easy. But an enemy that is 3 levels above yours instakills you with one or two hits, and you can barely damage it.

No difference from Odyssey there. But quests show you levels and you can auto scale levels of enemies. Essentially if you're too low and want to play a mission, turn on the level scale option, it is in the menu. Turn it off again when you find things getting a bit easy. Had to do that myself for parts of the game. Dumb idea that is a shortcoming of adding a pointless level mechanic, but at least there is some way to semi cope with it.

Exploration is fun at parts and when the story picks up it gets good. The problem is the story is sparse if you're like me and do all side quests. I found it far more coherent and grounded than Odyssey though. The bad guys Odyssey were straight up ripped off from Origins without the lore to go with it, which didn't help with the aimlessness of Odyssey. But since you played Odyssey first that probably isn't apparent. If you played Origins first, the Cult of Kosmos plot would seem very lame as it was just copy/pasted from the Order of the Ancients.

No difference from Odyssey there. But quests show you levels and you can auto scale levels of enemies. Essentially if you're too low and want to play a mission, turn on the level scale option, it is in the menu. Turn it off again when you find things getting a bit easy. Had to do that myself for parts of the game. Dumb idea that is a shortcoming of adding a pointless level mechanic, but at least there is some way to semi cope with it.
Not at all, I could defeat enemies 10 levels above me in Odyssey. Not easy but could be done. In this I was consistently unable to take down enemies 3 levels above me. Same level: fly, 1 level above: normal enemies should be like this, 2 levels above: Difficult but doable. 3 levels above: tank with infinite armor that can kill you in 1 or 2 hits. Level scaling only works up, not down. So it will scale up low level enemies, not scale down higher level ones.
I'm currently stuck in the game, because I'm 4 levels bellow all of my quests that I picked up, and no way in hell I'm going out hunting for random sidequests to grind for levelups. THis never happened to me in odyssey.

Exploration is fun at parts and when the story picks up it gets good. The problem is the story is sparse if you're like me and do all side quests. I found it far more coherent and grounded than Odyssey though. The bad guys Odyssey were straight up ripped off from Origins without the lore to go with it, which didn't help with the aimlessness of Odyssey. But since you played Odyssey first that probably isn't apparent. If you played Origins first, the Cult of Kosmos plot would seem very lame as it was just copy/pasted from the Order of the Ancients.
Any sidequests I found so far were insulting at best. "Meet me in the desert after dark, get ambushed", or "clear enemy camp" Or worse fetch quests. Hell these aren't even that. I played the game for three hours and much of that was retrieving and delivering items, or people, or bodies. I randomly started with a random character at a random place, with no backstory whatsoever. I still don't know who the hell is bayek, and why should I care about him. He might be an ahole for all I know. And the first out of the animus scene was completely pointless. Get out inject drugs, get back in, what was that supposed to achieve as far as lore goes?

In odyssey your character is set up well, I immediately liked myself if I can say that :-D I was interested in the fate of the player character, and even your friends were much more interesting, heck even your enemies. In origins I'm hunting some random characters I know nothing about, I don't know what are they up to, they never get properly introduced, only after you kill them, and even then in some sort of contrived fantasy world. That I couldn't feign interest in if I wanted to.

Not at all, I could defeat enemies 10 levels above me in Odyssey. Not easy but could be done. In this I was consistently unable to take down enemies 3 levels above me. Same level: fly, 1 level above: normal enemies should be like this, 2 levels above: Difficult but doable. 3 levels above: tank with infinite armor that can kill you in 1 or 2 hits. Level scaling only works up, not down. So it will scale up low level enemies, not scale down higher level ones.
I'm currently stuck in the game, because I'm 4 levels bellow all of my quests that I picked up, and no way in hell I'm going out hunting for random sidequests to grind for levelups. THis never happened to me in odyssey.

Any sidequests I found so far were insulting at best. "Meet me in the desert after dark, get ambushed", or "clear enemy camp" Or worse fetch quests. Hell these aren't even that. I played the game for three hours and much of that was retrieving and delivering items, or people, or bodies. I randomly started with a random character at a random place, with no backstory whatsoever. I still don't know who the hell is bayek, and why should I care about him. He might be an ahole for all I know. And the first out of the animus scene was completely pointless. Get out inject drugs, get back in, what was that supposed to achieve as far as lore goes?

In odyssey your character is set up well, I immediately liked myself if I can say that :-D I was interested in the fate of the player character, and even your friends were much more interesting, heck even your enemies. In origins I'm hunting some random characters I know nothing about, I don't know what are they up to, they never get properly introduced, only after you kill them, and even then in some sort of contrived fantasy world. That I couldn't feign interest in if I wanted to.
Are you doing side quests and clearing one zone before moving on to the next? I quickly found myself over level.

Are you out of the introductory area, Siwa Oasis? Exploration gets fun around the pyramids and the like. Game opens up to have Egyptian, Greek and Roman architecture so it stays fresh. Also some big forts. If you're 3 hours in, you're pretty early. I thought Byak was okay. He is a Medjay of the Ptolemaic era. Starts out more as a revenge story as you can probably tell, won't spoil the rest. It isn't exactly superb or excellent, but a decent story. You do have to play until the end to get his story and how he grows over the conflict and like I said, half the game is pretty pointless and aimless. Which is a huge drawback. When the story is there I found it sufficient. There just wasn't enough of it.

You're probably finding yourself confused because they deleted the codex for history in the story which the also did in Odyssey. Both have an entire history mode of the game which is nice, but pointless during gameplay. So I had no idea this game was set in the Ptolemaic era. With the lack of a history codex as found in previous AC games I had to minimize and go off to Wikipedia mid gameplay early on to figure out why XYZ happened. Towards the end of the game the timeframe becomes obvious, but early on I was pretty confused.

You'll need to slaughter about 100 or more animals to upgrade your gear, but it wasn't as bad as Odyssey there. But once you upgrade your gear the level issue starts to fade a bit but will always be there. I found myself over leveling a lot of quests. Like I said, the level scale option is okay but imprecise. Upgrading gear can be a problem, but wasn't nearly as time consuming as Odyssey. In Odyssey upgrading one sword or piece of armor would drain all your money. Even after a bunch of story quests and side quests you'd still not regain enough to upgrade one item, and you'd level again making the upgrades twice as expense. A lot of times gear would fall 5-8 levels below. And item pick ups/store bought were worthless and you'd get beaten down with ease if you used those. Origins isn't nearly as punishing as that.

The controls sucked to, but same issue with Odyssey exists. Both games were pretty bad (IMO) but with Origins I saw some good potential and some nice parts. It was hindered by horrible story pacing, pointless side quests, the crappy level system and crappy upgrade system. Probably a few other things I don't recall.

Last edited:
Are you doing side quests and clearing one zone before moving on to the next? I quickly found myself over level.
I did all the side quests that I picked up along the way, I don't go out of my way to find side quests, just as I did with Odyssey. And quickly found myself 4 levels under the quests I'm getting now.

Are you out of the introductory area, Siwa Oasis? Exploration gets fun around the pyramids and the like. Game opens up to have Egyptian, Greek and Roman architecture so it stays fresh. Also some big forts. If you're 3 hours in, you're pretty early. I thought Byak was okay. He is a Medjay of the Ptolemaic era. Starts out more as a revenge story as you can probably tell, won't spoil the rest. It isn't exactly superb or excellent, but a decent story. You do have to play until the end to get his story and how he grows over the conflict and like I said, half the game is pretty pointless and aimless. Which is a huge drawback. When the story is there I found it sufficient. There just wasn't enough of it.
I'm out of Siwa, that's when the problems of being under leveled started. And it only got worse since. At first I was just one or two levels bellow the recommended, which was no problem, but now all my active quests are 4 or more levels above me.

You're probably finding yourself confused because they deleted the codex for history in the story which the also did in Odyssey. Both have an entire history mode of the game which is nice, but pointless during gameplay. So I had no idea this game was set in the Ptolemaic era. With the lack of a history codex as found in previous AC games I had to minimize and go off to Wikipedia mid gameplay early on to figure out why XYZ happened. Towards the end of the game the timeframe becomes obvious, but early on I was pretty confused.
I'm not confused about the era, I just don't have any connection with the hero whatsoever. Not relatable at all. Kassandra / Alexios were immediately known quantities and relatable.

You'll need to slaughter about 100 or more animals to upgrade your gear, but it wasn't as bad as Odyssey there. But once you upgrade your gear the level issue starts to fade a bit but will always be there. I found myself over leveling a lot of quests. Like I said, the level scale option is okay but imprecise. Upgrading gear can be a problem, but wasn't nearly as time consuming as Odyssey. In Odyssey upgrading one sword or piece of armor would drain all your money. Even after a bunch of story quests and side quests you'd still not regain enough to upgrade one item, and you'd level again making the upgrades twice as expense. A lot of times gear would fall 5-8 levels below. And item pick ups/store bought were worthless and you'd get beaten down with ease if you used those. Origins isn't nearly as punishing as that.
Strange I never found that a problem with odyssey apart from constantly having to switch weapons to get the highest level ones. Enemies always dropped high level weapons that I could use. Plus you could upgrade existing weapons to higher level for money, but I rarely used that due to being too expensive. In origins I didn't even get into gear levels and upgrades yet. But I did notice a certain lack of weapon drops.

I was more annoyed in Origins, hunting down crocs and hippos and such to unlock the hidden blade upgrades. I also remember using Senu to track the caravans and hunt them. It's been a few years but I recall just sitting here for like 3 or 4 hours farming mats to upgrade the blade so I could 1-shot enemies. Then the max rank upgrades required some rare ore that only spawned in a few places, when the DLCs were added it expanded those upgrades and you needed more. On my 2nd playthrough I actually went straight to the Hidden Blades and Curse maps to get those ores. Haven't thought about this in a long time but damn it was annoying. I was unlocking viewpoints along the way so I guess it wasn't all bad.

Meanwhile in Odyssey the mats just flow to you as you progress. It's also important to understand how upgrading works: The only stat that goes up every level is the primary stat (Weapon Damage and Defense value). All of the bonus stats only go up every 10 levels (11, 21, 31, etc). This means you only need to upgrade your active weapons every level, or as much as possible, and your 5 armor pieces can wait every 10 levels. There weren't any rare materials that you had to go out of your way to acquire. Everything just came all at once. The only thing you had to do was ration your mats appropriately.

I need to do another playthrough of Origins, I never finished the DLCs. I never really even started them, tbh.

Oh geez.

q7dtyi2apec51.jpg

I have a post in this thread allllll the way back at release that Aya seems like she should have been the protag.
Bayek sucks, man.

I personally would have preferred Aya, not only because she's descended from the "Eagle Bearer", but because she's way more interesting of a character. Bayek's personality was really dull as far as AC characters go.

I personally would have preferred Aya, not only because she's descended from the "Eagle Bearer", but because she's way more interesting of a character. Bayek's personality was really dull as far as AC characters go.
Tell me about it. If Bayek was a slab of wood it would still be more interesting.

Back