ASRock tech support actual response -- funny!

1_legged_sheep

Limp Gawd
So I purchased the ASRock A75M-ITX for the system in my sig. Once everything got in I built the computer and eveything went pretty well (build log here).

When I first fired up the computer it hung at the BIOS splash screen. No beep code or anything just stuck. I tried all the normal troubleshooting stuff and unplugged everything from the board but got the same result.

I was about to give up but after I removed the video card I forgot to plug the KB and mouse back in and powered it on.. worked fine!! As a test I plugged my KB and mouse back in and it again got stuck on the BIOS splash screen. I updated the BIOS to the latest version (1.5) but the same thing would happen. The funny thing was that after I got past the BIOS splash screen I could plug in the mouse and KB and it would work fine. I even got Windows installed!

I discovered that if I plugged in a normal USB keyboard (I use a Razer mechanical kb and a G5 gaming mouse) and no mouse I could get into BIOS. It seems to only lock up if you are using a USB KB or Mouse with on-board memory. I tried disabling USB boot but that didn't help. Finally I was out of ideas so I submitted a ticket to ASRock technical support pretty much stating everything I just typed above. There response was:

Hi,

Sorry about the issue you are having. The problem seems like a bios hardware issue to me. Please contact the vendor for replacement. Thank you for your time.

ASRock America Support Team

No troubleshooting, no follow up questions, no BETA Bios, they didn't even ask me if I had cleared BIOS. Just "ship it back to NewEgg". I replied back asking if that was really their official response but they never replied.

Not wanting to tear apart my new computer I went back into BIOS to take a look around. I disabled legacy USB support and blammo, it boots up fine now! I don't even work for ASRock but evidently I know how to troubleshoot their own motherboards better then they do. Needless to say this will be the last ASRock board I buy.

I was thinking on one of the Z77 boards...forget that now.

When I bought my Asrock Z68-Extreme4, I had a few problems with it (namely the Etron USB3) and called their tech support. First time I was greeted by an extremely rude person who hung up on me. Second time I called, I was greeted by another extremely rude person who didn't care to help me and let me know it.

I then looked up their corp number and called. Tried to find a person that would tell me why their support people were so rude, and getting away with it, and was hung up on again.

I solved the problem by deciding to NEVER buy Asrock again. I'm sure I'm just one of many that has had the same experience with Asrock.

I see that they are using the Etron USB3 on their Z77 boards (along with the embedded Intel). After my experience with Z68 & Etron USB3, I would never recommend one of their boards, even if I hadn't had such a disappointing experience with their tech people.

Post it on Newegg under your mobo version with full details. They hate that. ;)

There is absolutely no excuse for that. I assume you at least started out patiently at first?

Asrock doesn't really cater to end users. Their policy is pretty straightforward: "One year warranty, and returns go directly to the store- don't drag us into it unless the store gives you a hard time." In other words, they choose not to deal with the end user. Accept that when you by the thing, and you'll be fine. Having anyone on the phone doing "tech support" is a formality for people who don't like (or weren't aware of) the standard process.

It's a pretty standard model in the business world- Asus sells plenty of motherboards to HP at a steep discount, in return for HP handling first-level support for those boards in-house. The only problems that come back to the manufacturer are those where a cursory glance wasn't enough to "fix" and/or resell as open-box.

As far as complaining to NewEgg, I can predict their response now: "Sorry about that. Please set up RMA/exchange with NewEgg."

I wrote a review on NewEgg about it. I gave it 1/5 eggs just for support reasons. I pretty much copy and pasted my original post into the "Con" and "Other" boxes.

Due to the number of computers I build each year I'm also working on my own review site. Once I have it up and running I'll be sure to flame them on there also.

Asrock doesn't really cater to end users. Their policy is pretty straightforward: "One year warranty, and returns go directly to the store- don't drag us into it unless the store gives you a hard time." In other words, they choose not to deal with the end user. Accept that when you by the thing, and you'll be fine. Having anyone on the phone doing "tech support" is a formality for people who don't like (or weren't aware of) the standard process.

It's a pretty standard model in the business world- Asus sells plenty of motherboards to HP at a steep discount, in return for HP handling first-level support for those boards in-house. The only problems that come back to the manufacturer are those where a cursory glance wasn't enough to "fix" and/or resell as open-box.

As far as complaining to NewEgg, I can predict their response now: "Sorry about that. Please set up RMA/exchange with NewEgg."

Oh, I agree about Newegg but at least it maybe noticed more by potential buyers...more of a "cause them a little grief" scenario.

If it's in your return window with NewEgg... just return it and stop ur whine. He probably didn't give a shit to find the answer because most claims are PEBKAC and most reasonable people just do an RMA through the original vendor.

As for their RMA... I sent in a Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 for RMA a few months ago for a LAN issue. It had a bent pin (I didn't know it was bent until after the pulled the CPU and started the RMA) which voids the warranty.

I got a brand new motherboard back in a week.

Well the NewEgg review route worked. They replied back with an address to a beta BIOS. Funny, if the first rep had just replied back with that all this could have been avoided.

Wish that worked with Zotac. Their response to poor RAM compatibility on the H55ITX-CE due to their unchangeable 1T Command Rate timing (among other issues) is to buy another board.

Email to tech support and post of their forum requesting a BIOS update were met with "We're not interested in updating the BIOS on this board, buy an Z68ITX instead"

They replied to my Newegg review with the suggestion to reach out to tech support and forums even though I said I already had.

Although the answer is very short, at least you weren't given the tech support loop of asking questions you've already answered.

Lisa, (Brand X representative):Thank you for using our online tech support. I'll be with you in one moment as I review your case.

Me: That's fine. I'm having trouble with your board recognizing all of the RAM I have installed. I have tried re-installing the RAM in every combination, and it appears only slot 1 works. with slot 2, it won't work if only slot 2 is populated, and it will only show the RAM in slot 1 when both slots are populated. The RAM is model ABCDxxxxxx and is on your qualified RAM list. I have tested both sticks in another PC, and they both work fine, together and individually. I have updated my BIOS to the latest version prior to running these tests. I even tried re-seating the CPU after checking that all of the pins were straight, then I retested the different RAM configurations again. It still won't recognize the RAM in slot 2.

Rep: I am sorry to hear you are having trouble. I will try to help you.

Me: thanks. I think I just need an RMA. it's been over a month since I bought it, and the vendor will no longer take it back.

Rep: Could you try taking the RAM module from Slot 1 and place it in Slot 2 to see if that works

Me: As I stated above, I have already tried every configuration, and no matter what, Slot 2 does not work.

Rep: I see. It is possible that the RAM model is unsupported. please check the approved RAM list at httpxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx/xxxxxxxxx.pdf

Me: please read my first message in this chat. as I stated in that message, my RAM model is ABCDxxxxxx and is on the list.

Rep: thank you, sir. do you have another computer that you could try the memory in so we can make sure that the RAM itself is not bad?

Me: OK, seriously, READ MY FIRST MESSAGE. I have already tried that. both sticks work fine in another computer.

Rep: Thank you. It could be an outdated BIOS, could you go to httpxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx/xx/xxxxxxx and download the latest BIOS for your model.

Me: ..... I have done that already. it is the latest BIOS.

Rep: Thank you. Can you please check if the memory is recognized now?

Me: no it IS NOT. please just issue an RMA so I can finish building this PC sometime this year.

Rep: I am sorry we could not get your problem resolved at this time. Please contact your vendor so they can issue a replacement.

Me: I am out of their 30 day return period, as I stated in my SECOND post.

Rep: I see. Let me transfer you to a higher tier support agent. They will be able to assist you further.

Me: Thank you....

Rep 2: Please wait while I read your case information.

Me: Ok...

Rep 2: I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your motherboard. Could you try taking the RAM module from slot 1 and place it into slot 2?

Me: @**$^%^&*$@(!!!

I'll be getting my Z77 ASrock Extreme 4 in a few days. I'll let you guys know how awesome it is.;)

Last edited:
Yeah I built five P67 ASRock Extreme4 based SB builds for friends after dealing with various issues with my own Asus P8P67 Pro system.

One guy had a logitech KB incompatibility with the Ex4 that was known but no fix for.

Then I realized, despite my P8P67 pain, I'd rather have a board that was eventually fixed with updates over the ASRock route which was "hope for no issues".

80% success rate with ASRock really wasn't bad, but I'd take a refurb Asus P8P67 for nearly half the price any day!

EDIT -

Remembered actually built 5 systems not 4. All were "best bang for buck" 2500K/Hyper212/ASrockEx4-P67/Radeon 6xxx/SSD builds for $650-800 that blew previous C2D boxes out of the water in Skyrim and BF3. Its amazing how fast technology changes!

I'd rather deal with Newegg exchange for defective MB than doing an RMA through any manufacturer. It's easy to do this with Newegg.

I had problem with card reader and USB keyboard as well on my ASrock as well, Turnin off legacy USB solved the issue but mouse was not working in the EFI Bios so I just plugged my KB via USB>PS adapter and it worked.
I'd rather deal with Newegg exchange for defective MB than doing an RMA through any manufacturer. It's easy to do this with Newegg.
This, I do this same way, return the item to the vendor I bought it from, I never communicated directly with manufacturer as their overall service(across most brands) is seriously retarded.

Although the answer is very short, at least you weren't given the tech support loop of asking questions you've already answered.

Lisa, (Brand X representative):Thank you for using our online tech support. I'll be with you in one moment as I review your case.

Me: That's fine. I'm having trouble with your board recognizing all of the RAM I have installed. I have tried re-installing the RAM in every combination, and it appears only slot 1 works. with slot 2, it won't work if only slot 2 is populated, and it will only show the RAM in slot 1 when both slots are populated. The RAM is model ABCDxxxxxx and is on your qualified RAM list. I have tested both sticks in another PC, and they both work fine, together and individually. I have updated my BIOS to the latest version prior to running these tests. I even tried re-seating the CPU after checking that all of the pins were straight, then I retested the different RAM configurations again. It still won't recognize the RAM in slot 2.

Me: thanks. I think I just need an RMA. it's been over a month since I bought it, and the vendor will no longer take it back.

Rep: Could you try taking the RAM module from Slot 1 and place it in Slot 2 to see if that works

Me: As I stated above, I have already tried every configuration, and no matter what, Slot 2 does not work.

Rep: I see. It is possible that the RAM model is unsupported. please check the approved RAM list at httpxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx/xxxxxxxxx.pdf

Me: please read my first message in this chat. as I stated in that message, my RAM model is ABCDxxxxxx and is on the list.

Rep: thank you, sir. do you have another computer that you could try the memory in so we can make sure that the RAM itself is not bad?

Me: OK, seriously, READ MY FIRST MESSAGE. I have already tried that. both sticks work fine in another computer.

Rep: Thank you. It could be an outdated BIOS, could you go to httpxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx/xx/xxxxxxx and download the latest BIOS for your model.

Me: no it IS NOT. please just issue an RMA so I can finish building this PC sometime this year.

Rep: I am sorry we could not get your problem resolved at this time. Please contact your vendor so they can issue a replacement.

Rep: I see. Let me transfer you to a higher tier support agent. They will be able to assist you further.

Rep 2: I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your motherboard. Could you try taking the RAM module from slot 1 and place it into slot 2?

hihi :D

Thanks very much for the post. It saved my day -- I was thinking about returning the Blackwidow.
I bought one yesterday and my A75M-ITX also froze in the boot image. Update BIOS, kb drivers and firmware and nothing. Only your clue -- disabling legacy USB -- solved the problem. Now its OK. I only have to figure out how to insert European accents in an US keyboard (the normal Alt-something technique is not working).

Thanks again!

Sorry to bring back a dead thread but I just got shat on by asrock as well.

Asked when I'll see a bios for my $150'ish 890FX for piledriver. It has support for BD cpu's officially but not PD.

They told me the chipset was not supported for PD (ASrock 890FX Extreme4) but the Extreme5 (chipset) has official support. I pointed this out & no reponse for the last 10 days.

NO MORE ASROCK.

The solution is always Swedish fish:

Dear valued customer,

We want to inform you that we have received your return motherboard in our facility. After we inspected your motherboard, we had started processing your RMA request.

Please note that it usually takes 5-7 business days (exclude holidays and weekends) to process RMA request. If the RMA process was delayed due to our RMA inventory, we will notice you as soon as possible. You will be notified via email once your status has been updated.

Thank you!

Best regards,

ASRock Customer Service

P.S. Thank you for the candy!

has the op's board caught on fire yet like the rest of them?

This is why I always like EVGA product, their board aren't good as the old one but their customer service is the best

I love Asrock MB's. They are solid, OC high, and built well. I believe I have 5 Asrocks and have had no problems. I have at least 3 different models, so a bit of a variety.

As to tech support, they always go through the same crap which is annoying but luckily I have yet to return/RMA one of my boards.

I love Asrock MB's. They are solid, OC high, and built well. I believe I have 5 Asrocks and have had no problems. I have at least 3 different models, so a bit of a variety.

As to tech support, they always go through the same crap which is annoying but luckily I have yet to return/RMA one of my boards.

Me too. I m on my 5th model (6 if i count a rig prepared for a relative of mine) and in total bought more than 10 and only 1 DOA. A bit thinner PCB than what i would want, but if you treat them well, they will treat you well. Great value for $ and very stable once you find a combo of drivers that don't conflict with Windows.

In Europe you don't deal anymore with the company for RMA, but with the reseller. I had a board RMAed in 1 month.

Count me in here, every Asrock board (first one was the old 939 SATA II board) I've owned has been stable and trouble free. Unfortunately can't claim the same about ASUS boards, in which every ASUS board I've own took a lot of troubleshooting and tweaking to get stable. I can't comment on Asrock's tech help and costumer service because frankly, never had to use it.

When I reboot my computer(Gigabyte 890FXA-GD70 mobo), it will hang at the BIOS splash screen if I forget to unplug my Logitech G600 mouse. You just gave me an idea for what to look for in my BIOS to fix this issue. Thanks!

Back