Asrock 775 Dual VSTA Incompatible with Nvidia 8800 series

The ATI 3xxx series of cards have never had the problems that the Nvidia PCI-E 2.0 cards had. They all work with the PT880Pro/Ultra boards without any flashing (albeit with their own driver issues).

The ATI 3xxx series of cards have never had the problems that the Nvidia PCI-E 2.0 cards had. They all work with the PT880Pro/Ultra boards without any flashing (albeit with their own driver issues).

So even the X2 ver. of the 3870 should work right ?
I know it is overKill for this motherboard but I would use this video card in my next computer build also ?

hard to say whether it will work or not until someone actually tries it. My guess is that it work work if you had enough power supply for it.

I do need to get a new power supply anyway.
Maybe I should be the first to try a X2 on this motherboard .I can't find anything posted anywhere about someone useing an X2 on this motherboard.

You would probably have the world's highest 3dmark benchmark for a PT880Pro/Ultra board- I guess that's something?! :confused:

Stick, did you try any of the newer nvidia drivers with the card? Do any of them work better than the one you were using before? Higher 3DMark scores?

I am using 169.25... previous drivers seemed to work slightly better for some older games and produced higher 3dmark scores but weren't as stable on my system. 169.25 has been rock solid with very few problems.

I just got an email from Asrock Support stating that non-MSI 8800GTS 320M models should work along with 8800GTS 512Ms, but after reading through this thread and many others, it seems that this isn't exactly the truth (as far as the 512Ms go). Plus, I've seen people say that the 8800s perform very poorly on PCI-E 4x slots, even worse than HD 3870s, which leads me to believe I'd be best off getting the ATi card as it performs well on this board and is fairly cheap. I'm still not sure that's the best choice, though. Any suggestions? By the way, I don't want to have to do the Gen2--> Gen1 flashing.

Here's my question & Asrock's response:
instago said:
Will the XFX GeForce 8800GTS 320MB PCI-E Video Card work with this motherboard? On the supported list, only the MSI 320M model is listed, but is the XFX 320M model supported? And what about the more recent 512M versions of the 8800GTS?

Asrock Response said:
Dear ASRock Customer,

It should also be supported.

Thanks for contacting ASRock.

Yours truly,

ASRock

I just got an email from Asrock Support stating that non-MSI 8800GTS 320M models should work along with 8800GTS 512Ms, but after reading through this thread and many others, it seems that this isn't exactly the truth (as far as the 512Ms go). Plus, I've seen people say that the 8800s perform very poorly on PCI-E 4x slots, even worse than HD 3870s, which leads me to believe I'd be best off getting the ATi card as it performs well on this board and is fairly cheap. I'm still not sure that's the best choice, though. Any suggestions? By the way, I don't want to have to do the Gen2--> Gen1 flashing.

Here's my question & Asrock's response:
eVGA has redone the BIOS on their G92-based cards, that is, the 8800GT and the 8800GTS 512. They no longer need a BIOS flash to work properly with your board. Older G80 cards from any vendor, including 8800GTS 320, 640, and 8800GTX, should work without issues. All will suffer some speed degradation vs. their full potential, but then so will any other high end PCI-E card on this board, including those from ATi. They will still be faster than slower PCI-E cards on this board--it's a proportional thing. If that's not good enough for you, your only way around it is to buy a better motherboard.

I used an AGP 6800GT, a PCI-E 8600GT, and a PCI-E 8800GT 512 on the same board with great success and enjoyment. When money allowed, I upgraded to the AsRock Penryn 1600SLI so that I could:

1. Overclock my CPU higher
2. Run my new DDR2 RAM at full speed
3. See the full potential of my 8800 GT

I got all that and I'm quite happy with the results, but the 4CoreDual-Vsta served its purpose very well at the time. It was cheap, it worked, and it allowed me to transition in affordable steps away from AGP/DDR to PCI-E/DDR2 (and make the leap from Socket A Athlon to Core 2). If your expectations are reasonable, you should be happy with the boost that a strong PCI-E card will give you on your board.

Why did they say nonmsi 8800gts 320/640 cards would work? I have an msi 8800gts 640 card and it works fine. Are they saying that nonmsi cards will work but msi cards wont? Because they list msi as one of their compatible cards on the website.

BTW stick, did you get your card to cool down any? The highest temp Ive gotten my card to, with intense gaming, is 67C

Alex, I asked if non-MSI cards would work because they aren't listed on their supported list. MSI cards, since they're on the list, naturally have no problems.

And Commander Suzdal, many thanks for the response. I've been wondering about that stuff for awhile and now I have a concrete answer in which to make a decision with. :D

Any G80 based 8800GTS (or GTX for that matter) should work on the PT880 Ultra/Pro boards regardless of brand. And I am quite happy with the performance of my EVGA 8800GTS SSC. It plays everything at 1680x1050 with all the eye candy.

The ATI 3870 cards also perform well on the 4coredual boards and are a good deal for the money.

Alex- my case is just too full of stuff to get the component temps down especially with the overclocked G80 topping out at 80-85C. 100% stable, though.

BTW, what do you guys think of the new GTX-280? Do you think its a good upgrade for us at some point?

Stick, what is the rated lifecycle for the fans on our gpus? How long are they supposed to last? Im thinking the lifetime warranty doesnt mean much if, when the card finally breaks down, the gpu is no longer available to replace.

most of the time, cpu and gpu fans will give you notice when they start going out by getting very loud and generally sounding like hell.

my gigabyte 8800GT 512MB works not fine after I flashed to gen1....
The screen display some multi lines and can't get in windows....
After I flash back to original gigabyte's bios, the card return normal, but I also can't play game in normal saturation (black screen and display many colour dots on the screen)
WHAT CAN I DO?

Thanks, Stick. Are gpu fans rated to last longer than cpu fans or vice versa?

Typically card manufacturers do not provide us with that information (Fans Intel uses on stock heatsinks excepted). If you can find out who really made the fan, and it is not a "special" some MTBF data might be found.

So the answer is, we have no way of knowing 98% of the time. You might also note the fairly large market in replacement GPU cooling. Yes some is for improved performance but I am guessing they sell an awful lot of coolers for replacements of dead stock fans. I fixed that problem ;)

In my long experience Northbridge and video card fans fail more often than CPU fans. They tend to be smaller and dust clogging is more of an issue. It is strange. A quad core Q6600 costs $209 and comes with an fan that will last (just based on personal experience here, have no hard data) 3+ years and probably more like 5+.. A $300 video card comes with a POS fan you can just about bet will last 2 years max, if you clean it.
This is a generalization but pretty accurate in my experience. Fans used on the newer high end cards in the last couple of years seem to be of better quality. Things seem to be getting better but the smaller fan size and typically higher RMPs are not things that help a fan live a long life.

http://mysite.verizon.net/ressdxka/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/computer003.jpg

LOL well I thought I fixed the problem. :eek: The slot fan below the video card used for cooling the memory and the rest of the components on the card is now noisy when I turn it up full speed. It lasted about 2 years in spite of being cleaned and oiled at the end of the first year of use. For those with sharp eyes, yes thats an old picture of my ATI XT1950, the 8800GT I now use received the exact same treatment, same GPU block even.

Wow, thanks for the info! I also use a pci slot fan to cool my gpu. Its an Evercool thats rated for 30,000 hours (I think) and is at 70cfm. I used to own a GeCube x1950pro, so my previous card was not too different from yours, now Im using an MSI 8800GTS 640mb. I'd heard that the 8800 series all use nVidia-made parts, including coolers and heatsinks, but not sure about this. At any rate, is the dual slot pci fan supposed to "blow" dust off the gpu fan? It seems to be a pretty strong fan as far as pci slot fans go, I can feel a steady stream of air from the backside. As a matter of fact, I had enough room in back of my case to put a single slot pci fan under the double slot one, so Im now running with 2 pci slot fans that take up three slots! Both are by Evercool; the dual slot one is rated for 30,000 hrs (FOX-2) and the single slot one for 20,000 hrs (FOX-1). With the lack of knowledge about gpu fans, Im actually thinking of getting a passive cooling system for my next gpu-- do they even make them for high end gpus anymore or are they not recommended, due to overheating? The last top end card that I can recall using passive cooling was the XFX 7950GT pcie card.

Water1 I placed an order for a 4850 two days ago. I should be receiving it in the next few days and I will report on if it works with the 4coredual mobo.

Water1 I placed an order for a 4850 two days ago. I should be receiving it in the next few days and I will report on if it works with the 4coredual mobo.
Thanks,antix12
I have been going round and round on buying a new video card and still have not.
The 4850 might be it.
Please do post back...

4850 works fine on my Dual-VSTA, you just have to disable the "PCIE Downstream Pipeline" setting in BIOS, otherwise you'll get heavy graphics corruption in 3d applications.
Overall i'm really happy with this card, the performance difference to my old X800 XT is ridicilous :D

hd4850dualvsta.jpg

looks like not much gains are to be had with the 4850 versus some of the older 8800/3850/3870 cards.

Wow! Thanks Condi!
That makes my decision easier. I think I am going to get the 4850 and try running it on my 775DualVSTA. I can't imagine it will work, but I can't resist trying..
If it doesn't work I will just get a new MB.
This is encouraging though!

Wow! Thanks Condi!
That makes my decision easier. I think I am going to get the 4850 and try running it on my 775DualVSTA. I can't imagine it will work, but I can't resist trying..
If it doesn't work I will just get a new MB.
This is encouraging though!

775Dual-VSTA is basically the same board as 4CoreDual-VSTA. From what I've read the only difference is that the Northbridge on the 4Core is overclocked so it officially supports 1066 MHz FSB CPUs. In all other aspects the boards are identical, so one would assume that whatever works on the 4Core works on the 775 as well :)

775Dual-VSTA is basically the same board as 4CoreDual-VSTA. From what I've read the only difference is that the Northbridge on the 4Core is overclocked so it officially supports 1066 MHz FSB CPUs. In all other aspects the boards are identical, so one would assume that whatever works on the 4Core works on the 775 as well :)
Thats what I thought to. Hope I thought right...;):)

Oh, awesome, thanks!

I have been really stuggling to find a good upgrade path for this.

I did not want another agp card. :)

At this point I can get the 4850 and test it and post back what I find for other 775Dual-vsta users benefit.

If it doesn't work then I will get a mid range pcie mb.

UPDATE:
Just ordered the 4850 from the 'Egg. Got a great deal. After paying so much for Video cards in the past, these cards are very cheap.

I should have it installed and tested by Monday latest, I got Overnight shipping also, so maybe....MAYBE I will have it by Sat. Here's hoping.

I will feel guilty putting this beast in such a low end MB, but if it works I will laugh my A$$ off.

woot!

I'd like to see the 3dmark06 scores of one of these 4850s at 1680x1050 4xAA on a 4coreDual or 775Dual. I'm getting 7000 from my 8800GTS SSC which is decent for such an old board- i'd expect the 4850 to get near 9000.

I'd like to see the 3dmark06 scores of one of these 4850s at 1680x1050 4xAA on a 4coreDual or 775Dual. I'm getting 7000 from my 8800GTS SSC which is decent for such an old board- i'd expect the 4850 to get near 9000.

I run my rig @ 1440x900 my monitors native rez.

I will certainly do a before and after bench with my x850XT, I expect a massive boost.

9000 would, I think, make me crap my pants. :)

Just ran a 3dmark06 test at 1440x900 4XAA 8XAF and got a score of 7368. The 4850s seem to be cranking out great scores with high levels of AA/AF so depending on the rest of the system, you should probably get close to 9000.

By the way, i found at the forced AA/AF doesn't seem to work for me with 3dmark06- I had to turn on AA/AF in the 3dmark06 application (the pro version)

Ok, I don't have the full version, just the crippleware version.
at the "free" settings I got 2242. That is with no AA and 1280x1024.

Just got the card in and loaded up...I don't think it is very loud, a common complaint I read.
Maybe the 850XT was very loud, I kind of though it was.

As for 3dmark06 score.....Drumroll please.......

8832! Quite a jump! Not bad for a crappy 4x pcie motherboard.

Close to 9000 just like you said! AWESOME! Crysis time!

Thanks ALL! Guess I will have to jump to the ATI forum now.

Well I finally got my Sapphire 4850 today. It turns out it was actually left by FedEx at my door this morning. I was expecting it today so I went to check the tracking after not getting it this afternoon and it showed as delivered so I checked and sure enough it was there. I am running a E4300 on a 4CoreDual-VSTA with 2 gigs of ram. I upgraded to the 4850 from an agp x1950 pro. My new 3dMark 2006 score is 9687 up from 4931. That jump is pretty darn significant. I had not really run a 3dmark since I got the x1950 pro so I was not really sure why my score was very low and I was not expecting that much of a difference. Overall I am very very pleased with the upgrade and can't wait to get into some games with it.

As previous posters have stated the new 4800 series boards work great in the Asrock boards you just have to disable the PCIE Downstream Pipeline setting in the bios to get rid of image corruption and you are good to go. Thanks a lot to everyone who has contributed to this thread and made it so useful to everyone involved.

Back