• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AS5, finger in bag spread method, vs line method

Are you talking about TIM or crack? :D

I think with AS5 the recommended application was to just put a dab in the center and let the heatsink take care of it... mechanical application is better reserved for more viscous solutions.
 
Yes, talking about TIM, Arctic Silver 5 :)

Their site says line method, not dab in center. Some say put a dab and spread it with your finger in a bag.
 
some say are likely stuck in the old days

once quad cores came around the line, not a dab, a line in down the middle, in a certain side to side is the way to do it, then the heatsink spreads it out, more even then your finger or a credit card can.

go to as5 site and read the instructions, i am sure they tested many many ways prior to recommending what way works best.
 
How come other thermal pastes, such as Thermalright Chill Factor paste, the manufacturer says to spread it out evenly over the IHS with a card or finger + baggie?

Is the line method exclusive to AS5?
 
Which one gets you lower temps?

The best way to find out is to try it yourself. It's one of those things where everybody is going to recommend a different method and swear that it works the best for them. I personally tried the line method and didn't have particularly good luck with it. I wound up spreading a thin layer; the line didn't spread out over the whole IHS, leaving large blank spots that were easily remedied with a full thin layer.
 
How come other thermal pastes, such as Thermalright Chill Factor paste, the manufacturer says to spread it out evenly over the IHS with a card or finger + baggie?

Is the line method exclusive to AS5?

Application method depends on the viscosity of the paste. Some pastes are soft, like AS5. Just placing a small amount in one area will do because the heatsink will spread it evenly. Other pastes are harder and require more force, thus using your finger will give it an even spread.
 
I think the whole dab vs line started when Intel made the dual die CPUs.

AMD has one die in the middle of the CPU so a dab in the center would be fine.

Intel has a few dual die dual cores and then the dual die quad cores. So a line would be more efficient in that case than a dab.

I let the HSF do the spreading for me.
 
AS5 has the consistency of week old pudding, thats why the application methods differ from other brands. I've always put a dab in the middle and let the heatsink do the work. They say you shouldn't, but i've been using this stuff since it came into existence and always used the same method.
 
Same here, always done a dab in the middle because it simply seemed easier than the line method... I'll probably try the line soon tho, gotta take the heatsink off to mess around w/something and I might as well try it and see if I notice any difference in temps.
 
So I did a test with some Chill Factor paste, I put a thin layer on my cpu, spread it evenly with finger in bag method. Then I clamped my TRUE on there, using the washer mod for extra pressure, and when I took it off, the entire northern and southern parts of the bottom of the TRUE didn't even have paste on them lol.

Does that mean my TRUE is concave as hell and needs to be lapped?
 
Does that mean my TRUE is concave as hell and needs to be lapped?
It means that either your heatsink, CPU, or both are not flat. That's why you should use the line or blob method; the clamping pressure will squeeze the TIM into all the empty spots and make sure that it fills in as many gaps as possible.
 
AS5 has the consistency of week old pudding, thats why the application methods differ from other brands. I've always put a dab in the middle and let the heatsink do the work. They say you shouldn't, but i've been using this stuff since it came into existence and always used the same method.

but week old pudding has a different consistency depending on the brand as well :D
 
I use a blob-line method that works very well for me.

3mm dot in the middle of the CPU, then a thin line in an 'X' pattern across the CPU stopping about 5mm from the edge.

Insures that the entire CPU heatspreader gets TIM.

You just can't use too much......or it will ooze out once the HS is placed.
 
Last edited:
I used the line method for as5 and when I lifted my true a few days ago the botom right part of the cpu/heatsink had little to no paste. So instead I bought coollaboratory liquid pro and used a brush to spread it on both cpu and cooler and temps have droped 3c on idle and 6c on load.
 
Back
Top