As expected, the "impossible" EmDrive doesn't work.

1_rick

[H]ard|Gawd
https://www.grenzwissenschaft-aktue...e-engine-does-not-develop-any-thrust20210321/

“We found out that the cause of the ‘thrust’ was a thermal effect. For our tests, we used NASAs EmDrive configuration from White et al. (which was used at the Eagleworks laboratories, because it is best documented and the results were published in the ‘Journal of Propulsion and Power’.
With the aid of a new measuring scale structure and different suspension points of the same engine, we were able to reproduce apparent thrust forces similar to those measured by the NASA-team, but also to make them disappear by means of a point suspension."

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
I have no idea what I am reading but I am guessing this is what happened:

1.) They thought they discovered a way to move things in space without fuel
2.) The movement was caused by heat
3.) Heat doesn't exist in space so it is impossible

cdabc123

2[H]4U
I have no idea what I am reading but I am guessing this is what happened:

1.) They thought they discovered a way to move things in space without fuel
2.) The movement was caused by heat
3.) Heat doesn't exist in space so it is impossible
Heat causes expansion of gas resulting in thrust. Heat exists in space its the lack of mass to accelerate that becomes an issue.

Ion drives work by accelerating a small amount of mass with alot of energy resulting in thrust.

Now we just need to figure out creating mass with just energy :p

GreenLaser

n00b
according to the 1978 popular mechanix article you just need to add a 1 mile Dia. magnetic intake funnel to the front of the thruster to gather the hydrogen atoms needed for fuel. ...and also and a push from a rocket to get it moving. ...completely doable!

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
Heat causes expansion of gas resulting in thrust. Heat exists in space its the lack of mass to accelerate that becomes an issue.

Ion drives work by accelerating a small amount of mass with alot of energy resulting in thrust.

Now we just need to figure out creating mass with just energy :p

According to relativity it's entire possible to make matter out of energy :) converting matter to energy is how all nuclear works and reactors do indeed occasionally convert energy into matter....even though we don't understand how :p

Would be something if we could figure that one out. Star Trek replicators :)

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
https://www.grenzwissenschaft-aktue...e-engine-does-not-develop-any-thrust20210321/

“We found out that the cause of the ‘thrust’ was a thermal effect. For our tests, we used NASAs EmDrive configuration from White et al. (which was used at the Eagleworks laboratories, because it is best documented and the results were published in the ‘Journal of Propulsion and Power’.
With the aid of a new measuring scale structure and different suspension points of the same engine, we were able to reproduce apparent thrust forces similar to those measured by the NASA-team, but also to make them disappear by means of a point suspension."

Well, they tried and that is what counts. Seems to me that the two ways we will move around is reaction mass and gravity manipulation. (All the Si Fi things I read seem to point in those two directions.)

MaZa

2[H]4U
Shame. Emdrive could have resulted into something cool if it had worked.

DejaWiz

Fully [H]
Trial and error during the testing/experimenting phase of the scientific method.

This may not be the absolute end to this. It'll probably be shelved for a long time while they go back to hypothesizing in order to make changes and tweaks prior to the next round of testing, as funding and personnel allocation allows.

cdabc123

2[H]4U
Trial and error during the testing/experimenting phase of the scientific method.

This may not be the absolute end to this. It'll probably be shelved for a long time while they go back to hypothesizing in order to make changes and tweaks prior to the next round of testing, as funding and personnel allocation allows.
When your talking about projects like this there should be an it more thought and math that goes into it before prototypes are built up

NickM

Limp Gawd
When your talking about projects like this there should be an it more thought and math that goes into it before prototypes are built up
Yes and no.
Rapid prototyping is a thing and can lead to some huge leaps. Compare SpaceX Starship to NASA SLS...

cdabc123

2[H]4U
Yes and no.
Rapid prototyping is a thing and can lead to some huge leaps. Compare SpaceX Starship to NASA SLS...
This was not that. Give me abunch of money and I'll make a cool device that promises thrust. When we are building devices that push theory into reality the theory must be solid first. Look at the race too nuclear arms. The theory was well established and massive amounts of resources were invested into the practice of bringing this theory too reality. That was before we had the reasorses to more easily predict the sucsess of a design. Rockets are a poor example. The theory is simple and the difficault lies in the engineering project. There are many ways to go at this complex engineering task but normally more thought and development goes into it then just lets build this and maybe it will work.