Ars Reports: Problems with WiiMote

Nice job mangling the meaning of the words in the article... it only says this regarding the remote controller's problems:

"Still, with the recently introduced Nintendo Wii containing untested electronics in the form of the motion sensor, it is a useful task to see if early adopters are having any more problems than usual. The answer: not really."

"Some gamers have reported that the Wiimote sensor is sensitive to light from the sun, as well as highly reflective surfaces between the player and the sensor bar. Changing the environment that the Wii is played in seems to fix these problems."

GoldenTiger said:
"Some gamers have reported that the Wiimote sensor is sensitive to light from the sun, as well as highly reflective surfaces between the player and the sensor bar. Changing the environment that the Wii is played in seems to fix these problems."

Crap! Guess I'll have to remove the mirror that I installed between me and the tv.
:p

I think nintendo also makes note of these issues in their manual. I'd have to check.

nonameo said:
I think nintendo also makes note of these issues in their manual. I'd have to check.

It would be good if they did, and that would go a long way.

Also, it didn't say there had to be a mirror directly in front of the sensor, nor how much sunlight was needed. I doubt they meant that the Wii had to be played in a barren room with complete light control, nor would they mean that the only issued would be playing it in the desert during high noon surrounded by mirrors, it has to be somewhere in between.

ScorpionV said:
Crap! Guess I'll have to remove the mirror that I installed between me and the tv.
:p
Glad I'm not the only one that had that same thought :p

Actually my friend has a glass coffee table and glass stand for his TV... it seems to cause some problems if you play just above either of them...

When I play my Wii I like to open all the windows and let as much sunlight in as possible. I love the glare it produces on my television screen so much that I installed a series of mirrors in front of me and the TV, that way I can see the glare coming from all different directions.

I find that this is the best environment for playing my Wii.

Come on... we know us pasty geeks can't handle the sun anyway so it's not going to be a problem. :D I for one don't like having too many mirrors around either... tis a frightening experience to catch my reflection!

Psychotext said:
Come on... we know us pasty geeks can't handle the sun anyway so it's not going to be a problem. :D I for one don't like having too many mirrors around either... tis a frightening experience to catch my reflection!

I am not a big fan of glare myself, but living in FL in an apartment complex that has not gotten around to fixing my living room blinds (which don't close) for two full weeks, it is an issue, not to mention people who have TVs in rooms that do have some amount of glare to no blinds, sky-lights, or other uncontrollable circumstances (short of just clipping black blankets over the windows, which is what I am about to do, and if they bitch about it being a bias to the lease I will point out the eight or so maintenance requests I have made so far...)

The best cautionary step Nintendo has done is the "make sure there are no people or objects close to you while playing this game" deal they added when playing wii sports

Haha, yeah we try to follow that rule but it doesn't always work out.

Like this morning, my girlfriend was making her throwing motion to send the bowling ball down the lane when the cat strolled in front of her out of nowhere. Poor little guy got conked in the head with a Wii-mote :(.

ManCannon said:
Haha, yeah we try to follow that rule but it doesn't always work out.

Like this morning, my girlfriend was making her throwing motion to send the bowling ball down the lane when the cat strolled in front of her out of nowhere. Poor little guy got conked in the head with a Wii-mote :(.

You will be glad to hear that your cat isn't the first to have Wii-related battle damage. Or maybe not. Poor kitties. :(

PWMK2 said:
You will be glad to hear that your cat isn't the first to have Wii-related battle damage. Or maybe not. Poor kitties. :(

Kepp masturbating and we won't have tow orry about the kitties anymore. I know I am doing my part :p

Back