Arrrrrghhh bf2 server admin rant....

zoobaby

Supreme [H]ardness
Just need to vent for a few. Last nigt I am playing on a ranked bf2 server (not naming) and they have the following rule posted:
Do not punish tk's as accidents happen and if you punish a tk from (squad name) you will be banned.

No worries I think as I hardly ever punish unless someone tk's for a vehicle. So here I am with a squad of 4, never played with them before, using the built in VoIP and we are freaking dominating. We were 1,2,3 and 5th on the server rankings before a player drops bombs on us, tk'ing 4 of us as we are bottle necking the other team. I forgive as there was an APC that we had just taken out, the others punished as it was too close to drop bombs.

Well that player that tk'd us happen to crash or something and then starts to threaten anyone who takes a plane with a ban. Well he also happened to be admin and banned all of us that he tk'd. Funny because I actually forgave.

So basically I was ticked off about being banned posted on their squad's website. I never asked to be unbanned, I just said that their admin abused powers by banning and being a vehicle whore. The responses I got were pretty much gold. "It's my server and I can do what I want." "Go get your own server." "Why do you need/want special attention?"

EDIT: Can ranked servers turn off tk's?

/rant

Yeah, I can't stand clans that think because they rent the server, that it gives them a license to be an asshole. I'm surprised nobody has found a way to put a logo on the helicopter and planes to mark them with the clan tag of the clan renting the server, just so everyone knows if they're not in that clan, they aren't allowed in those vehicles.

I joined one such server, and spawned at the attack heli just as it had been shot down. So I'm waiting there for the heli to spawn again, and next thing I know, I get run over by a jeep. So the clan member who ran me over took the heli with his other clan member. I take the blackhawk up and just start following them around. I didn't damage them or anything, just followed them around. I was banned after a couple of minutes for "TKing".

The thing is, if they had just asked me to let them have the heli because they were on voice chat and communicating, I would have gone done something else.

No you cant turn off FF on a ranked server. Who cares though I would not want to play with loosers like that.
On another note I think that EA should put who punished you and broadcast it to everybody on the server. Like "John Gault punished XXX for team killing". They should also keep track of punishers so that when their stats are checked it would say how many punishes they had. That way everyone would come down on accident punishers.

zoobaby said:
"It's my server and I can do what I want." "Go get your own server." "Why do you need/want special attention?"

That's pretty much all there is to it though :( The worst was one time i'm waiting for a plane and there's three guys behind the hanger just knifing, healing, and repeating. So, being incredibly irratated by cheaters on any level i chatted in game, "if there is an admin on now, boot the three assholes knifing and healing behind the USMC launchpad." I get back, "this is my server, i can do whatever i want." Check the admin's name with the "healer" and sure enough. SO i just said back, "you guys are fucking tools" and about 10 seconds later i got the boot.

John Gault said:
No you cant turn off FF on a ranked server. Who cares though I would not want to play with loosers like that.
On another note I think that EA should put who punished you and broadcast it to everybody on the server. Like "John Gault punished XXX for team killing". They should also keep track of punishers so that when their stats are checked it would say how many punishes they had. That way everyone would come down on accident punishers.

Not asking about FF, I like FF on. Just asking if TK punishment can be shut off in a ranked server.

Your other 2 ideas are solid and like a lot.

Tell me about it, I play witha friend alot and we use ventrilo, we are probably one of the better pilots/gunners in a game, but shit you get 5 people camping heli base to take t onc eit spawns, if they do not get it they will try to get tked, or tk you for that matter, and some clan ranked servers....Thye feel like we should give up a chopper to them. Once we wer flying, i had 56 pts he had 70 pts, the closest guy had 30 pts, the clan members came in and started yelling "JUMP OUT OF A CHOPPER NOW", i was like 7-1 while a friend was 18-1, and tey got so pissed theat we wouldn't crash or get killed, so they banned us.

What sucks is that those bans show on your permanent record and can be scraped via a a script by every other server. I got banned from a server because I was using the Anti-Air tank to shoot down the clan that ran the server's helis. When I tried to connect to another completely different server the next day, it said I couldn't join because I had been banned from other servers. I emailed the admin and he said his script checks for bans and then doesn't allow connections if you have any.

I'm glad their is a limited amount of fish in the sea for ranked servers, but feel that EA is giving ranked server clans a little too much power. Remember, these guy's jerk behaviors are affecting your permanent stats. If you having a good run and get kicked, they just limited your score potential. Don't laugh. I was on a server where the American side (80% clan) was getting owned. Suddenly, the server goes offline. There was never a lag spike or anything. A few minutes later, it's back and running perfectly. Since stats aren't recorded til the end of the round, conspiracy theoriests can make the connection.

I can't tell you how many times i get team wounded by people on purpose because they know the guns don't kill with 1 or 2 hits.

I only forgive people i know, or if its my fault, but if i get TKed and theres no enemys around, I PgDown them faster than you can say teamkill.

I'm an ass, i know, but i never get forgiven, so screw that, i'm sick of it.

I agree dude there is a strong urge to punish when you think a person is being lame. But dont sink to there level. I ONLY punish for obvious intentional tk's or if somebody forces a tk on me for a vehicle i will get force them on them till they get kicked.

Nothing like mining a road as an engineer and seeing a friendly vehicle coming so you run out into the middle of the road and start picking up your mines only to get run over by that vehicle and then punished for TK'ing when they hit the next mine. :mad:

90% of the clan run servers have tools for admins. the ranked system is a POS. Ea can't patch itself and it's too bad BF2 is my favorite game. That being said just try and find a server which has decent admins and add it to favorites. otherwise try and find subtle ways to completely ruin the admins day if they earn it.

I almost always forgive when it comes to TK'ing until it happens again... then I go for it. The guys that say sorry or something along those lines I let go, because accidents happen. I hate it when I do something accidental (like back over somebody in a tight place) and get punished immediately... but oh well :).

70.86.37.162 <-- that's my clan's server {DeV}. I think the average age of people in the clan is around 25, maybe a little higher. I'm 21 and there is only 1 other guy younger than me in the clan. No need to worry about getting banned, our admin is a super nice guy.

There is pretty much someone always on from the clan, and we usually don't have any problems with little kids trying to cause trouble.

I got banned a few weeks ago becaus ei was dominating in a Tank on Dalian. My Team managed to controll all the points except for the uncappable.

I started to drive towards their main base and kill people there... IS this wrong? I wasnt even IN the base, but driving around on the outside (safer for tanks to be away from buildings especially whe people spawn in the area)... He was getting pissed because evrytime they damaged my tank I would drive out and repair and come back for more... I was on a 30+ streak at the time damnit!

notTHEike said:
70.86.37.162 <-- that's my clan's server {DeV}. I think the average age of people in the clan is around 25, maybe a little higher. I'm 21 and there is only 1 other guy younger than me in the clan. No need to worry about getting banned, our admin is a super nice guy.

There is pretty much someone always on from the clan, and we usually don't have any problems with little kids trying to cause trouble.

I'll come check it out tonight.

heh - I got kicked from a non-ranked Clan server because I was running people over with the buggy... over and over again. Not spawn camping mind you, and I only ran over the "red guys" - not one TK. I had two other people in the buggy - I was Support, a-driver was a medic, mg'er was an engineer... :) - anyway, between the 3 of us, we got about 50 kills before havig the entire other team hunt us down - all of the with clan tags. There were NO clan members on our team, only on the USMC side.

So, I hear this "This is the server admin" over my headset... "if you don't stop running people over, you will be kick banned from the server - it's not part of the game, you need to grow up or get the f*** off our server"

Grow up? I'm probably old enough to be this guys's dad.
Not part of the game? get the hell out of the way.

Anyway, while the clan / red team was hunting the three of us down, our team managed to cap every point on the map and win the round. This REALLY pissed them off... As the next level is loaded, I get kicked... ! Awww.... they fell for it - and LOST.

I have noticed that this is the execption tho - most servers I've been on are either well admin'ed or there isnt' any at all.

It was fun, but I can never ever go back to that server... :( (as if I'm that upset)

Peace,
Tim

somecallmeTim said:
heh - I got kicked from a non-ranked Clan server because I was running people over with the buggy... over and over again. Not spawn camping mind you, and I only ran over the "red guys" - not one TK. I had two other people in the buggy - I was Support, a-driver was a medic, mg'er was an engineer... :) - anyway, between the 3 of us, we got about 50 kills before havig the entire other team hunt us down - all of the with clan tags. There were NO clan members on our team, only on the USMC side.

So, I hear this "This is the server admin" over my headset... "if you don't stop running people over, you will be kick banned from the server - it's not part of the game, you need to grow up or get the f*** off our server"

Heh that's one of my favorite things to do. It is always more satisfying to pancake someone rather than fill em full of holes. What a dumbass admin "not part of the game". I mean if they were getting pissed about being run over, then just get in a vehicle idiot.

J-Mag said:
Heh that's one of my favorite things to do. It is always more satisfying to pancake someone rather than fill em full of holes. What a dumbass admin "not part of the game". I mean if they were getting pissed about being run over, then just get in a vehicle idiot.

Or get the hell out of the way!

They own the server you dont, dont like it GTFO and pay your hard earned money to pay for one.

Shakezilla said:
They own the server you dont, dont like it GTFO and pay your hard earned money to pay for one.

If they want to run a ranked server, then they have a responsibility to run a fair server. Too many jerks out there have the same lame opinions that you seem to hold, that just because they are running the server they have the right to artificially jack up their own stats and screw anyone else. This kind of attitude would be fine if they ran an unranked server, but since they aren't, they need to GROW UP, quit being whiny punks, and play the game instead of banning someone because they used a perfectly valid tactic in the game and owned the admin.

The best thing to do is to tell others about your experience, then avoid that server. Eventually you'll just have a clan of jerks playing with each other.

STAY OFF THE
"Kentucky Fried Server"
Serious power trippers on that server.

Was playing there on wake island and has just been blown to shit 5 times taking a boat, so I spawned on the carrier.
Then the Admin says "Stop waiting for aircraft, either go to the beach or get banned!"
Just then the transport chopper spawns and I jump in.
I call for ppl to get in and 4 seconds later I get a ban message.
Something along the lines of "You have been banned from the server (P.S. you're a Fag!)"

Real nice!
So don't go there, its full of power hungry losers!

Shakezilla said:

Actually they don't own the server. They rent the server and since it is ranked, need to play by EA rules. They did a couple things that are boarderline stat whoring/padding, definately a no-no.

I have footed the bill for servers in a few different games. The squad I am on had a bf2 server, but most of us had other commitments and took some time off. The server went empty for over a month. We decided it was not worth the money. We may put up a FEAR server in the future or get the JO one up and running again..

You know what else really pisses me off about BF2's TK punish ability.
That it's abused way to much!

Example # 1
I am playing and spawn at the airport; some USMC had dropped in and were blowing up our stuff, I ran one over with the buggy and was accidentally TK'ed by a team mate. He didn't say sorry but I knew he wasn't trying to TK me so I Hit Page Up.
I spawned again and just as I spawned a jeep from my team ran me over. Again I knew it wasn't his fault that I happened to spawn right in front of him.

Then I spawn again and am killed with in 2 seconds by our Attack Chopper shooting at some more USMC in our airport. Thats 3 spawns and 3 deaths in a row.
I spawn again walk 3 steps and get smoked by someones nade on my team.... NOW I'M A BIT PISSED! so I hit PgDn and punish.
I have spent over a min just waiting to spawn and only about 30 seconds alive and I haven't even been killed by the USMC yet!

I figure I should try a new spawn, I spawn and get in the close by tank, I drive down the road and our attack chopper blows me up... FFS Thats 5 TKs in a row. So I was fed up with this BS and Punished the rest of the game! Even if it was an accident I didn't care!
I ended up with 14 deaths that game and 7 were TK's!
I was nice and forgave many a TK but them people really started to TK me when they could have avoided it and I was getting pissed off!

Example # 2
I am flying the jet, launch a sidewinder to shoot down the USMC jet, the lame thing misses and hits a fully loaded Chopper, packed with my teammates. Instantly 2 of them punish me, even before I get off a "I'm Sorry, I screwed up!" I say it 4 more times and then I look and my score and I have -15! It was a fucking mistake, I was trying to save them and it backfired due to the game, not me!

Example # 3
I go to get in a jet which I have been waiting for. The Jet spawns just as another guy walks up, I hit Enter faster then him and get the jet, he walks in front of it and gets TKed just to punish me.... WTF!

Example # 4
I heal someone who gets shot and wounded, so they know you are helpful. A few seconds later a PLA solider came around the corner and I tossed a nade at him trying to select my gun. I kill the PLA but my team mate (who I just healed) gets TKed. I go over say "sorry X 3" he waits till I heal him and then Punished me! GFY!

zoobaby said:
Actually they don't own the server. They rent the server and since it is ranked, need to play by EA rules. They did a couple things that are boarderline stat whoring/padding, definately a no-no.

I have footed the bill for servers in a few different games. The squad I am on had a bf2 server, but most of us had other commitments and took some time off. The server went empty for over a month. We decided it was not worth the money. We may put up a FEAR server in the future or get the JO one up and running again..

Yep, ran across a few of these servers. Just ninnies that can't compete, note the server as crap and move on I say.

Me and my clan run a 50man ranked server. Its full 24/7 so its not like we need traffic or anything, so I wont even give out the IP. On our server you wont get punished alot. It also helps that there is usually a medic nearby to heal you. :)

Also if you get banned there are plenty of other servers out there so complaining about it is just useless. Now that Dice has added favorites and a history find a good server and only play there and you wont have problems of idiot admins.

airiox said:
Me and my clan run a 50man ranked server. Its full 24/7 so its not like we need traffic or anything, so I wont even give out the IP. On our server you wont get punished alot. It also helps that there is usually a medic nearby to heal you. :)

Also if you get banned there are plenty of other servers out there so complaining about it is just useless. Now that Dice has added favorites and a history find a good server and only play there and you wont have problems of idiot admins.

I know...just wanted to vent. Notice I did not give the name of the server and squad. I feel it was more of a case of a bad admin (or a good admin on a bad night). I didn't get real pissed until the rest of his mates posted back on their forums saying the same ole sh!t.

This is simple.

If the admins are stat padding, take screen shots and send them to EA. More than one person/clan has had to face this, they will deal with stat padders. Heck I'd go back to the server in the OP with another account JUST to log their stat padding and report it. Two can play the "it's my game" route. As noted they don't own the server, they rent a slot from EA, and EA does have some controls on ranked servers in place. Some... Bad admins can still get away with quite a bit.

If the admins are being sore losers, or doing less offensive stuff (thing EA doesn't crack down on), find a new server. Those people aren't worth playing with.

The addition of the favorites tab should help here. Find good servers, and keep playing those.

Majin said:
STAY OFF THE
"Kentucky Fried Server"
Serious power trippers on that server.

Was playing there on wake island and has just been blown to shit 5 times taking a boat, so I spawned on the carrier.
Then the Admin says "Stop waiting for aircraft, either go to the beach or get banned!"
Just then the transport chopper spawns and I jump in.
I call for ppl to get in and 4 seconds later I get a ban message.
Something along the lines of "You have been banned from the server (P.S. you're a Fag!)"

Real nice!
So don't go there, its full of power hungry losers!

You are not kidding! I've actually put that server on my "banned" list- I punished an intentional TK that was from one of their clans and was banned for "excessive teamkilling". That place is garbage and is on my "banned" list.

Phoenix86 said:
As noted they don't own the server, they rent a slot from EA, and EA does have some controls on ranked servers in place. Some... Bad admins can still get away with quite a bit.

Actually, you don't have to rent ranked servers from EA. We lease a whole server from Insomnia365, and one of the games we serve on it is a Ranked BF2 server.

The whole thing is a mess right now. Best thing a person can do is get in with a team/clan/group, get to know them, and play with them on thier server. We have a bunch of regulars on our servers that are not members, but just looking for a place to play clean fair games. Not all clans are immature poor sports. That's why we refuse to call ourselves a clan, but instead a team. I think age has alot to do with it, 45yrs to 35yrs is the majority with some younger guys also down to 18.

I went to the official EA site about ranked server rentals and saw the whopping $8/slot/month fees where it would cost $512/month to rent a 64-player BF2 server.

Surely not everyone can afford to pay these fees... is it cheaper anywhere else?

lot of people in this forum have machines that would make most servers cry, and they have the bandwidth to match.
I have used my comp for a small server a few times, but I don't have the connection to make it happen (Caped at 250kbs).

If you have lost of up and down room, use your comp as a server!

soekev said:
I went to the official EA site about ranked server rentals and saw the whopping $8/slot/month fees where it would cost $512/month to rent a 64-player BF2 server.

Surely not everyone can afford to pay these fees... is it cheaper anywhere else?

Yes it is. We lease an entire box. Dual HT XEON's 2.8Ghz, 2GB RAM for $250. On that server we run two BF2 ranked servers, one a 50 man, the other smaller. Two CS:S servers. One SOF2 server and one DOD:S server. CPU usage runs under 50% on all four virtual cores and the RAM stays at around 1GB of usage. Obviously the machine could handle more, but the bandwidth is killing us. We are right at our max each month with 2000GB.

The thing about Ranked BF2 servers is the server provider has to provide a means of security so the leasies can't munky with the files or settings. I365 does that with their Cortex control system. It's a bitch to set servers up with it compared to FTP and RD, but it works well and you can still do what you need to do to your game servers, except, they are able to lock you out of your BF2 server configuration as EA requires.

LOL I GOT BANNED TODAY!!!!!!
I was playing with my friend Dune, i am usually the first on a server. SO i gota chopper and Dune spawned on me, and every time we get for repair on Fushe Pass we get hit by our own teammate using Eryx, after about 10 minutes helis helath had 4 bars, I go for repairs and that guy tks us. I got pissed, we both punished a guy, i did not say anythig. Then he started yelling bitching because we punished him and he said that it is his server so if he asks for a chopper we must give it up, apperantly he was bitching at us for being in it a while back, but i did not read it. Then as soo nas chopper spawned I put C4 on it and taht guy got in with his clanmate. I blew the shit out of their chopper, and they started yelling at me resulting in me getting banned.

We should start an official jerkoff clan server list. I can't stand BS like that.

And while were all ranting about kicks and bans, when the hell did punkbuster become super net nanny? I'm getting really freaking tired of getting kicked every time I say shit. Hell, the other night one of my friends got PB kicked for saying "WTF"

air2k5 said:
LOL I GOT BANNED TODAY!!!!!!
I was playing with my friend Dune, i am usually the first on a server. SO i gota chopper and Dune spawned on me, and every time we get for repair on Fushe Pass we get hit by our own teammate using Eryx, after about 10 minutes helis helath had 4 bars, I go for repairs and that guy tks us. I got pissed, we both punished a guy, i did not say anythig. Then he started yelling bitching because we punished him and he said that it is his server so if he asks for a chopper we must give it up, apperantly he was bitching at us for being in it a while back, but i did not read it. Then as soo nas chopper spawned I put C4 on it and taht guy got in with his clanmate. I blew the shit out of their chopper, and they started yelling at me resulting in me getting banned.

LOL
I did the same thing to this prick who tryed to TK me for an attack chopper!
This guy CJ and I had been the attack chopper all round and just so happen to have the most points on out team #1 and #2. We were blown up and when we spawned we both went to get the chopper again. A few seconds later this guy spawns and Kills CJ and starts shooting me. CJ and I were a team and I didn't want to take the chopper without him so I ran away and let the noob take the chopper!

But Before he was able to take off I stood in front of it and tossed 5 C4 right on the window, so he knew what was coming! He took off and a few seconds later CJ respawned. He started to shoot the chopper, so I told him to stop and watch. I let the noob get about 200 meters away and (CLICK) BOOOOOOM!

LOL

It was worth the kick I got right after, seems it was his clans server.

Back