Hi,
I am somewhat new to the Solaris ZFS implementation so bear with me.
I bought and HP JBOD, long story short I had an HP array controller which would not do passthrough for ZFS unless all disks were configured as RAID 0; I read that there were problems with this if a disk failed, so I got one of the LSI HBA controllers (9200-8e). This does JBOD pass through with the SAS expander perfectly (HP MSA 60) Now I have each individual disk recognized by the solaris format command BUT... they now have incredibly long names due to the target portions having a large hexadecimal identifier--I assume due to when it was a RAID0 the HP smart array controller wrote this to the drive.
I have tried everything from lowlevel format, to moving it to a freebsd machine and using each disk as a zpool replacement to try to write data over the array identifier. I have wiped the boot disk on the server and reinstalled solaris after removing all traces of the MSA60 and its drives. Even wiping the boot hard drive in the server, installing solaris without the msa60 attached and then adding it later. EVERY TIME it recognizes one of these disks as a new drive for zfs it says old label corrupt; using backup. So instead of getting c3t1d0 i get c3t50003a3f22312dce00472fa1d0p0 or some such identifier. If I didn't have 12 of them to deal with it wouldn't be so bad. How do I get rid of this and get solaris to go back to the conventional numbering for target portion??
Thanks in advance
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but you guys seem to know a ton about zfs/solaris
RLK
I am somewhat new to the Solaris ZFS implementation so bear with me.
I bought and HP JBOD, long story short I had an HP array controller which would not do passthrough for ZFS unless all disks were configured as RAID 0; I read that there were problems with this if a disk failed, so I got one of the LSI HBA controllers (9200-8e). This does JBOD pass through with the SAS expander perfectly (HP MSA 60) Now I have each individual disk recognized by the solaris format command BUT... they now have incredibly long names due to the target portions having a large hexadecimal identifier--I assume due to when it was a RAID0 the HP smart array controller wrote this to the drive.
I have tried everything from lowlevel format, to moving it to a freebsd machine and using each disk as a zpool replacement to try to write data over the array identifier. I have wiped the boot disk on the server and reinstalled solaris after removing all traces of the MSA60 and its drives. Even wiping the boot hard drive in the server, installing solaris without the msa60 attached and then adding it later. EVERY TIME it recognizes one of these disks as a new drive for zfs it says old label corrupt; using backup. So instead of getting c3t1d0 i get c3t50003a3f22312dce00472fa1d0p0 or some such identifier. If I didn't have 12 of them to deal with it wouldn't be so bad. How do I get rid of this and get solaris to go back to the conventional numbering for target portion??
Thanks in advance
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but you guys seem to know a ton about zfs/solaris
RLK