• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Array label destruction

planum

n00b
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
17
Hi,
I am somewhat new to the Solaris ZFS implementation so bear with me.
I bought and HP JBOD, long story short I had an HP array controller which would not do passthrough for ZFS unless all disks were configured as RAID 0; I read that there were problems with this if a disk failed, so I got one of the LSI HBA controllers (9200-8e). This does JBOD pass through with the SAS expander perfectly (HP MSA 60) Now I have each individual disk recognized by the solaris format command BUT... they now have incredibly long names due to the target portions having a large hexadecimal identifier--I assume due to when it was a RAID0 the HP smart array controller wrote this to the drive.
I have tried everything from lowlevel format, to moving it to a freebsd machine and using each disk as a zpool replacement to try to write data over the array identifier. I have wiped the boot disk on the server and reinstalled solaris after removing all traces of the MSA60 and its drives. Even wiping the boot hard drive in the server, installing solaris without the msa60 attached and then adding it later. EVERY TIME it recognizes one of these disks as a new drive for zfs it says old label corrupt; using backup. So instead of getting c3t1d0 i get c3t50003a3f22312dce00472fa1d0p0 or some such identifier. If I didn't have 12 of them to deal with it wouldn't be so bad. How do I get rid of this and get solaris to go back to the conventional numbering for target portion??
Thanks in advance
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but you guys seem to know a ton about zfs/solaris
RLK
 
Thanks, I gave that a try as well as, letting the LSI card do a hardware/low level format. Problem is subsequently when solaris goes to configure devices it says label corrupt and loads the "backup" which is the old long "RAID0" target identifier I think (presumably it is retrieving this off the array hdd as the solaris is a fresh install on the system hdd). Seems almost as tho it is stored in the hdd in a way that formatting doesn't erase the "backup". Im sure Im just missing something here but after two days of trying to erase these drives I'm starting to wonder. BTW I did destroy the raid with the old HP smartarray card prior to installing solaris and reformatting the drives as well. No dice.
 
FWIW I have learned that this naming scheme is part of the way solaris handles naming devices that are presented by the HBA utilizing WWN target. I have yet to find a way to override this in the LSI firmware/BIOS. This is going to make naming the zpool devices externally cumbersome. I don't know if there is a way to override this in solaris with aliases. I installed suse linux on the same system and it recognizes all the drives in the jbod using the standard drive naming sda sdb sdc etc.
 
Back
Top