• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Array Expansion on a ich8r

JSM88

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 22, 2003
Messages
77
I've got three 500gig drives running in raid 5 on my p5b-e and would like to add more space (when 1 terabyte just isn't enough...) I can't seem to find any information on whether the ICH8R supports array expansion (and if not, why not.) Any help would be appreciated
 
yes, however with your chipset the largest raid 5 supported is 4 disks holding data , you can have another disk on the controller marked as a hot spare but it wont hold data until it replaces a defective drive.

From the intel matrix storage manager help file.

Adding hard drives: The Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver is adding one or more members and migrating data in the array.


Plus I have done it, add the new drive to the array and it should be straight forward, It was so long ago (couple months LOL) I cant remember exactly how but it was cake. Plugged it in, hit CTRL-I when booting to get into raid bios, made sure drive was seen, added it to the array, then cant remember if it was there or inside windows/matrix storage manager but where-ever, it was cake. automatically started migrating data. It took a while, plan on couple hours at least of leaving computer powered up.
 
Back
Top